Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BATTLESHIPS - wack the mother fuckers!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So recently I had this feeling like playing a game in which I fly around space in a gaint steel penis and project it into other peoples affairs, mainly by shoving a proton-torpedo up there ass or just simply fry them with a large variety of laser weapons.

So whitout further fail - can you name me some games the feature big Space-Battleshpis beating the shit out off each other. Can be a Strategy, Spacesim... whatever. Homeworld and Nexus are of course mandatory.Have in mind that it doesn't have to be strictly "space", old steel fleet would also be good. Oh yes, recently I found this little gem, try it, it's KAWAI!

I don't like Star Trek :x

fractal

Novice
X3 (spacesim) has some huge ships, although it'll take a while to be able to afford one. You can also remote control them, so with enough money it's possible to build a whole fleet and invade some neighboring sectors. Terran Conflict, a successor/stand-alone expansion pack is out now too, although I haven't played it.

If you buy X3 (should be pretty cheap now) retail, make sure you install all patches first before running it, as the later patches remove the DRM that was included at first.

http://www.xdatabase.de/x3/en/index.php?pagename=ships has an overview of the ships in the game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Black_Willow said:
Hegemonia - it's something like real time MoO
Conquest: Frontier Wars - a 2D space RTS

This. I really loved it. Too bad it never became popular. Has some pretty dynamic battles. Campaign is good too, begins slowly but gets better and better.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Black_Willow said:
Conquest: Frontier Wars - a 2D space RTS
Bloody Hell! First "Patlabor" and now this - you really know what's good.

I played the demo of this years ago, I loved it. Now after all those years I will try the full version, this is so good damn epic. Thanks again Willow.
Black_Willow said:
Hegemonia - it's something like real time MoO
Played it, if I remember correctly it wasn't bad BUT I got stuck early on, on some mission in which I was tasked to destroy a Pirat base but couldn't find it - the pirat-ships were comming from one direction, but the base was nowhere to find. Bullshit.

Maybe I will try it somewhere in the near future.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's at these times I wish Derek Smart would have had the resources/skillz needed to fully finish his space sims...

puke

Novice
i've been wanting to scratch this itch for a while now, too. I've had X3 sitting around for a couple years now waiting for me to buy a joystick, i couldnt even get through the toutorial fights with mouse and keyboard.

I hear mixed things about Nexus, but thing it might be worth grabbing. I hear random chatter that there might be a sequel in the works, some sort of leaked tech demo?

what was that one where you had the biological ships and upgraded them by mutating their DNA? did anyone play that? was it any good?

DefJam101

Arcane
puke said:
I hear mixed things about Nexus, but thing it might be worth grabbing. I hear random chatter that there might be a sequel in the works, some sort of leaked tech demo?

Old. The Devs will roll 3d20 for the sequel whenever Duke Nukem Forever comes out. In other words, it's never going to happen. :<

Lord_Summoner

Novice
Sins of a Solar Empire

try Sins of a Solar Empire, simple rts which is fun to play, at least for a few days

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
hiver said:
Wtf?
Nobody mentioned Freespace?

FREESPACE goddamit!
Nobody mention it because:
1. If I would ask for a "fighter space-sim" it would be SO obvious that only a retared would mention it.
2. I'm not asking about a "fighter space-sim" but about games that I can command big-ass-battleships.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pacific Storm Allies for ww2 naval battles. Battleships are weak, as it is the dawn of the carrier and subs. But you get to play with the Yamato, the biggest battlehip ever made. It has very weak AA but huge cannons, 460mm.

What is this talk about Patlabor? I only know a couple of console versions.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
If grand encounters of ww2 are in your flavour as well, there's Fighting Steel.
Never got hold of full version, unfortunately, but it seems you can even take down Bismarck with Yamato, or vice versa if you like.

puke

Novice
i here there is an LOGH game. a friend of mine's been playing it, but he says its all in japanese. from what he say, its pretty much the god of all fleet based capital ship wargames, where battles play out just like they did in the show.

of course, its not single-ship command and its all in japanese, so it might not be ideal.

Genesis Rising is the name of the organic warship game i was trying to think of. anybody play it?

http://www.genesisrisinggame.com/

Vaarna_Aarne

Seriously though, Universal Combat and Battlecruiser Millenium are freeware now. Even though they're prime examples of games with vision and ambition, they're also prime examples of being way out of your depth in terms of resources. Still, it's an actual universe-scaled scifi sim from planet surfaces to deep space with all from marines (sucks) to bigass battleships (where the meat is). It's fighter combat also happens on light-speed and is among the most insane things you can ever try.

And you know, it actually does make you feel good about your giant steel space penis, because it's actually pretty gigantic when you put an astronaut next to it. And then you realize space stations make you look like a flea.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea well, I know it's not very good... But there isn't anything else quite like it either. And sometimes the sheer vision and the balls of the game is enough.

NiM82

Prophet
puke said:
also, anybody familliar with either Starshatter or the Independance War games?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/334 ... ring.Storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-War_(Independence_War)

I've played neither, but they both sound like they have potential.

The Independence War games are fucking great, particularly Edge of Chaos. The best space sim flight model ever imo, it's fully newtonian, which can make for some interesting combat scenarios as the game has a visibility system, with engines and stuff making you more visable, que you quite frequently drifting through enemy space, pivoting about to do a surprise attack as you flyby something. The control system and vector based HUD also make it very intuitive to use. There was quite an active modding community too for EoC. I-War 1 is more about space battles, I-War 2 is more space trader.

Only problem, in relation to the topic, is you don't really get huge ships, the vessels you get to use are mostly cutter type things and you don't really feel like your commanding a battleship or anything. Even with mods that give you huge Battleships, it feels like your controlling a sluggish fighter or something.

rumor has it that those SoTS dudes are making a cap-ship game: http://www.kerberos-productions.com/north_star.shtml

Yeah, apparently SoTS 2 is also going to be more focussed on cap ship combat too, with you having smaller fleets, but with more system to manage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom