Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
But tabletop is played against fleshy brains, a lot of broken shit can be combed over.

This game will be me exploiting-the-AI-the-game and I'd like it to be tough. It needs time pressure on the player to force creative and aggressive solutions and not the expected 3-snipers-out-and-a-(Steiner)scout with the AI as a sitting duck.

Multi is a different beast of course.

First 2 mods:
"Sensors online..." bits
Removing floating damage

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When did artificial difficulty become the standard over well designed AI?
How is it more artificial than enemy reinforcements instantly popping up when you take the spaceport (instead of you having a given number of turns to do so before they arrive)?

i actually found a lot of issues in that video.
mechs are too fast, once they close each other the fights seem to have the tendency to resolve around who can surprise buttsechs first.
there's no clear "dude x hit y with z doing xx damages to yy part" message which is as basic as foundamental. you can't force me to chase after every mech of mine and examinate it part per part.
no torso twist. in battletech. are you fucking serious?
i strongly hope a "skip animation" function is going to be added, otherwise every fight is going to take thrice the time needed.
no partial cover, so it's all "get close and anal rape".
the cursor kept jumping back and forth, in a game where a single pixel is the difference between victory and death. that's why exagons have been invented.
this just on the top of my head.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was quick: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1652307

Post-GenCon #SuperPreAlpha Demo Debrief!

Wow, the last few weeks have been a whirlwind of nerves and activity and emotions... but it was all incredibly worth it to see everyone’s excitement about the pre-alpha demo, both online and in-person at GenCon. We couldn’t have asked for a warmer response -- it was fantastic to see longtime tabletop fans and new recruits alike respond with such enthusiasm to this first look at our game. Brian and Connor (below) even drove six hours -- at the last minute, after seeing our Kickstarter update last Wednesday night -- to come try out the demo at GenCon. (They loved it!)

7a58a721fa653a1778fb375bd330d30b_original.JPG

We got a lot of great coverage from both press and fans about the GenCon demo last week, such as Austin Walker’s piece on Vice, and this fan’s thoughts about the demo on the Penny Arcade forums.

We’re still a bit tired, but also deeply buoyed by your support -- and by the validation that while we have a lot of work still to do, you believe we’re on the right path to deliver a great BATTLETECH experience. So, to the Global BattleTech Community: we thank you, and we salute you!

We’re going to get back to work now, but we’ll be back in touch soon with more updates -- and more cool new stuff to show you. In the meantime, see below for a recap of everything from last week, including photos from the show, and a brand-new cinematic sneak-peek teaser.

-- Jordan, Mitch, Mike, and the BATTLETECH team

67d821031fa69a80f9d542858cfc9b11_original.JPG

The GenCon 2016 demo crew!
Demo Playthrough Video
If you missed the Backers-only update last week, here’s the #SuperPreAlpha demo video. (Feel free to share it!)

Digital Backer Tiers Re-Opened
We’ve also re-opened a limited number of DIGITAL-ONLY Backer Tiers on our BackerKit page -- if you know anyone who missed the Kickstarter, let them know! And if you’re a current Backer, but want to upgrade your Reward Tier to the $35, $50 (Beta Access), or $85 (Valhalla) Reward Tiers, just contact us via our website and we can process your upgrade.

Cinematic Sneak Peek
This is a short teaser that the art team cut together right before GenCon to loop on the TVs at the show. Now that we’re back, we want to share it with you to give you a taste of what we’re doing with the cinematics for the game.

#SuperPreAlpha Screenshots
In addition to the playthrough video, here’s a Facebook album of screenshots we took to show off of the demo.

455c9cc0e938c33ed3235f9daa327f5a_original.jpg

BATTLETECH At GenCon
And, for those of you who weren’t able to make it to GenCon - here’s some of our favorite pictures from the show! (There’s more on our Facebook page too, if you’re interested!)

973a1638b90ecaabb2a2897628ab3ee3_original.JPG

Were we clear enough that this was a pre-alpha?

59c003551198adca33973beec57e971c_original.JPG

MechWarriors take the field.

3b8d0b3739a56b048899d504a7ad0942_original.JPG

There was so much interest, we had to demo in the aisles!

bc22c70fb4dda0f7252d956ed0e9df63_original.JPG

Mitch received the Gift of the Show from an old-school fan.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
this cinematic teaser looks cheap as hell. but the game looks/will look a lot better thank Zeus....

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
As long as this game lets me blow my friends up with an Autocannon 20 for <=$20 then I'm hyped. If not, oh well, the starter set for the tabletop is probably cheaper somewhere.

TOUGH GUY

Educated
I hate this "pop-up book" aesthetic that has dominated video game cutscenes for so many years now. The obviously static images with sparse "cut out" moving parts. It is awful and cheap. It just oozes ugliness, I think a simple, pretty picture would have been better if you really don't have the budget or apparently don't care about how the end product looks.

It hurts doubly when coming from a franchise that brought us absolute classics such as this:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom