Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The first time I played Baldur's Gate, I was already pretty familiar with AD&D rules from playing several short dungeon crawls with a friend. I still read the manual. When I bought Baldur's Gate 2, I read the manual for that as well.

Come to think of it, I used to read the manual of every game I bought until publishers decided that printing paper manuals that were actually helpful was a waste of time when the controls are so streamlined that nothing needs to be explained. And then they force you to go through a 30 minute tutorial level so they can be explained anyway.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Since everybody is sharing their personal experiences - I actually learned AD&D from playing Baldur's Gate! :D

It was pretty easy to transition to pen and paper after that - especially since I didn't have the manual (I couldn't afford to buy many games as a kid and was playing a pirated copy :oops:) and learned the rules from an AD&D Player's Handbook that a friend loaned me. :)

m_s0

Arcane
Bullshit. I knew shit about D&D when i played BG2 and yet I did just fine.

Not to mention dude is a reviewer so he should at least try to get informed.
The thing is, story in BG2 is set up so that you don't have to know anything and you'll still be fine. You're essentially told everything you need to know in the first few conversations, which you'd have to go out of your way to skip. You'd have to be braindead to be confused after all that exposition (and you're assaulted by even more of it after you exit the dungeon).

I'd like to see that guy review Planescape: Torment (EE) and see how confusing that game would be :lol:
Since everybody is sharing their personal experiences - I actually learned AD&D from playing Baldur's Gate! :D
Yeah, that was my introduction to the rules, but you didn't need to understand the rules beyond basics like low numbers for armor=good in order to play and even finish the game. I had no goddamn clue what THAC0 was supposed to be at first, and I really didn't need to know that.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Bullshit. I knew shit about D&D when i played BG2 and yet I did just fine.

Not to mention dude is a reviewer so he should at least try to get informed.
The thing is, story in BG2 is set up so that you don't have to know anything and you'll still be fine. You're essentially told everything you need to know in the first few conversations, which you'd have to go out of your way to skip. You'd have to be braindead to be confused after all that exposition (and you're assaulted by even more of it after you exit the dungeon).

I'd like to see that guy review Planescape: Torment (EE) and see how confusing that game would be :lol:
Yeah, that was my introduction to the rules, but you didn't need to understand the rules beyond basics like low numbers for armor=good in order to play and even finish the game. I had no goddamn clue what THAC0 was supposed to be at first, and I really didn't need to know that.

I second that. I've played BG2 without knowing anything about the rules, without knowing the story (played the sequel first, because I'm evil like that), and still managed just fine. I made a couple of mistakes, like getting rid of half of the party, because I found controlling everyone too annoying, using the cleric as a main spellcaster and kicking an NPC out because of suspected craziness, which later turned out to be just one of the 'romances' starting; BG2 still was a quite easy game.
Playing ToB for the first time with the 'original tougher enemies' (or whatever it was called back then) installed was a very different story, though. :D

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
are shapeshifting druids fixed in BG2EE?

Xi

Arcane
I see no problem with these EE editions. If I wanted to play BG 1/2 right now I would purchase them. However, the pricing is a bit steep. So, just wait for bargain bin prices if it upsets you.

I will definitely purchase BG 2 EE at some point. Supporting these type of projects is important, imho.

My favorite play-through of BG2 was using a shapeshift druid. /heart

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I knew nothing about DnD before playing Baldur's Gate. Also, no experience with PnP games. THAC0 was definitely developed by an autist because it is a very inefficient labeling system.

That said, it was very easy for my teen self to understand that + items = good and - effects to your characters = bad.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I see no problem with these EE editions. If I wanted to play BG 1/2 right now I would purchase them. However, the pricing is a bit steep. So, just wait for bargain bin prices if it upsets you.

I will definitely purchase BG 2 EE at some point. Supporting these type of projects is important, imho.

Really!!?? You have no problem with someone taking someone's work.... fucking it up, (literally) infusing it with bugs, 5 minute effort dlc's.... then shipping that product to fund their own stupid shit. Claiming that they have somehow enhanced it. Stealing the work of countless modders along the way. Managing to get into some sort of publishing fuck up that made them not even capable of releasing patches to their product. It just goes on and fucking on. I would rather these people never touched BG, let alone attempt to make BG3 and permanently bury the franchise by making it seem worse than it originally was.

Xi

Arcane

Really!!?? You have no problem with someone taking someone's work.... fucking it up, (literally) infusing it with bugs, 5 minute effort dlc's.... then shipping that product to fund their own stupid shit. Claiming that they have somehow enhanced it. Stealing the work of countless modders along the way. Managing to get into some sort of publishing fuck up that made them not even capable of releasing patches to their product. It just goes on and fucking on. I would rather these people never touched BG, let alone attempt to make BG3 and permanently bury the franchise by making it seem worse than it originally was.

I don't think they have a team with the talent pool to do BG3. That to me is a bad idea. As far as the EE editions go, the artwork does seem to be slightly enhanced. I know mods give the same usability, but to get it all in a single package is convenient. So, improved textures/2D art (slightly), better lighting, AA/AFetc and better support for modern systems. And some new spell effects. Nothing wrong with that.

Edit: In my search for screenshot comparisons, I came across this gem of a review on BG 2 EE (shows how retarded modern gamers are):

http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review/
Baldur’s Gate 2: Enhanced Edition Review: They Didn’t Enhance Enough
Okay so in the interest of full disclosure I have never played Dungeons and Dragons before. I have also never played a Baldur’s Gate game. With that being said, playing Baldur’s Gate 2: Enhanced Edition makes absolutely no god damned sense. It’s pretty much an exercise in confusion and frustration.

Beginning a game by creating a character offers a ton of options with classes and aliments. Far too many options, I really have no idea why this game expects me to know a complex rule structure. I created a thief that seemed to be completely worthless so I went back and made different character. They also kept dying so I just went with a prefabricated one.

The game starts with you imprisoned in a dungeon and being tortured. Why is this happening? Who are these other adventurers? Those are good questions of which I cannot provide the answer. If I had played the first game perhaps I would give a shit, but for someone who is going in blind, this is not a good beginning.

The combat is also a complete mess. I don’t know if this version is more difficult than the original but I was unaware that RPG’s featured character’s standing there and constantly missing attacks on an enemy. There are plenty of encounters that boiled down to clicking on an opponent and just watching everyone miss each other for what felt like minutes. Trying to look through the stats of your character doesn’t mean anything to if you’re not familiar with the rule set. Why does the armor number go down? What the fuck does THACO mean?

Also, how the hell does magic work? I eventually figured out resting gives you your spells back, but it took far too long. This is just another instance of the game assuming that the player is coming into the game with prior knowledge. Another small complaint, the start screen gives you three options and at first I jumped into the expansion because it was the center option. I then died from the first enemy a few times and had to look up what game I was playing. The writing is pretty good, though.

As for the “Enhanced Edition” part, this is the same as anyone familiar with the first game’s rerelease. It cleans up the interface, ups the resolution, makes it run on modern computers, and adds paid DLC characters. It also includes the expansion Throne of Bhaal and a combat focused arena mode. The multiplayer is also cross-play and has a better interface for getting into a game.

I know that Baldur’s Gate 2 is an incredibly well-loved game. I get that. I love the original X-Com, but I understand that if some walked into that these days (even an updated version that was cleaned up) it would be very hard to enjoy. This is more of a warning to people that have no experience with Baldur’s Gate 2. If you have not played this before, perhaps you should check out the first one. Maybe importing a character and knowing the rules and world a bit would have alleviated many of my frustrations, but as it stands, I don’t see the appeal.

Baldur’s Gate 2: Enhanced Edition was developed by Overhaul Games and released November 15th for $24.99. It is being published by Atari. The original Baldur’s Gate 2 was developed by Bioware and is available through GOG for $9.99.

Final Breakdown
[+ Looks really nice] [+ Good writing] [- Assumes too much prior knowledge of the game, rules, and world] [- Combat is boring and confusing]

Last edited:

Xi

Arcane
^ You would pay money for someone to do that? Your choice bro. I think supporting cheap assholes like that is a bad idea in the long run, spend your money on something else.

I already own a copy of BG 2, so im in no hurry to pick this up. I may snag it when I see a sale. That's about it. I think the added features are nice to have in a single package.

Xi

Arcane
:lol: that shit was being discussed like 6 posts up from you, how can you think that is new?

Lol, I didn;t read the entire thread, it's 146 pages. Argh! It's nice to see his picture though. Aha ;P Total fucking douche!

Props to infinitron for catching that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
so, eh, how about them shapeshifting druids being fixed? as I understand it they were severely broken largely due to bugs and it would be funny if an enhanced edition wouldn't have fixed that..?

Kitako

Arcane
This site gives BG2:EE 2/5...for all the wrong reasons: http://www.twinfinite.net/blog/2013/11/16/baldurs-gate-2-review/

Warning: EXTREME popamole inside.

I didn't read the review, but give the guy some slack. It looks like he never played the original game. Especially for someone who never played the tabletop version, or someone coming from D&D 3.0, you gotta admit that AD&D rules are quite cryptic . THAC0 is also very counter-intuitive. Once you figure it out, it's easy but it's still very counter-intuitive. BG2's spells system is very rich and it took me a while to learn the cool spell combos, enemy mage debuffs vs party debuffs etc. Maybe he's not popamole so much as just new to Baldur's Gate ?
Sounds like the proper right choice to review this game.

skyst

Augur
That reviewer is quite irritating. You wouldn't dock points from The Empire Strikes Back or The Two Towers for not fully explaining each character's past and motivations, I don't see why a tale of similar scope should have to just because it's a computer game. I played BG2 before BG1 (or any other D&D CRPG) as a young teen and, although I had plenty of AD&D experience at that point to understand the rules, I got along with the story just fine. The game even lets you RP your character as an amnesiac in the first few interactions. Fuck that loser.

That said, I tried the BG2:EE and while the interface clean up is nice, I don't see enough to warrant another purchase - especially at such a steep price. Since vanilla BG2 is much more playable on modern machines than BG1, the "enhancements" are even less impressive. I noticed some minor additions in character creation such as skill bonuses to races and the ability to see the total result of your ability score roll that I don't recall from BG1:EE, though I could be forgetful. The backgrounds looked a little fuzzy to me compared to the original with a wide screen mod and actions felt choppy; I was expecting more visual "enhancements". If they cleaned up most of the bugs, this might be worthwhile to someone new to the series but as it stands, I can't fathom why one wouldn't purchase it on GOG for half the price.

m_s0

Arcane
as it stands, I can't fathom why one wouldn't purchase it on GOG for half the price.
Because one had already bought a version superior in terms of its technical state and modability (which allows for actual enhancements to be installed as per the user's preference) at least once, possibly even several times and for much cheaper than the price (or half of it) they're asking for the "E"E given that the game is 13 years old.

piydek

Cipher
I'm surprised that anyone at the Codex can defend, not mind, or even anything else than violently attack this kind of practice.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
looks like they haven't fixed druids. gg no re beamdog.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I was able to figure out the armor class and Vancian spell system for BG1 without reading the manual back in 1999. Stuff like THAC0 and weapon dice I didn't get until I actually RTFM for my second play-through years later, but the calculations are all handled behind the scenes anyway. I have friends who played BG2 when they were in middle school (without playing BG1) and they were able to figure it out by themselves. It's not that hard.
To quote one of Yogi Berra's non-sequitir sayings, "You can observe a lot by watching".

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
My party sleeps up to 30 days(!) at a time to cure moderate wounds. Damn sleepyheads! I'm barely traveling through Athkatla districts for the first time and it says I'm 150 days in already. Working as intended I guess.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
My party sleeps up to 30 days(!) at a time to cure moderate wounds. Damn sleepyheads! I'm barely traveling through Athkatla districts for the first time and it says I'm 150 days in already. Working as intended I guess.

A party full of halflings?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom