Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

pippin

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but someone in the gog forums emailed Beamdog's customer support and the guy who replied said it was gog's decision to remove the direct purchase option for the original versions, and claimed they only had the rights for the enchanced editions. I gues this could be considered as the "official" version, if it's coming from Beamdog themselves? I dunno, but of course there are a bunch of gog users who, in their typical fashion, won't accept that sometimes gog fucks up real hard.

Weasel
Beamdog negotiated with all the rights holders to the original games (who were obviously seeing diminishing returns over the years on the old game and probably get a cut of this new wave of sales now) so my guess is it's all tied into that deal negotiation.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Dunno if this has been mentioned, but someone in the gog forums emailed Beamdog's customer support and the guy who replied said it was gog's decision to remove the direct purchase option for the original versions, and claimed they only had the rights for the enchanced editions. I gues this could be considered as the "official" version, if it's coming from Beamdog themselves? I dunno, but of course there are a bunch of gog users who, in their typical fashion, won't accept that sometimes gog fucks up real hard.

What? Is this true?
:fight:

pippin

The mail in question

Beamdog Support (Customer Support)

Apr 13, 08:19 MDT

Hello Adam,

Thanks for contacting Beamdog support. My name is Charles, and I will be assisting you.

I am sorry you believe that we are the cause of this, but I can assure you we have no say in what other retailers do with our titles (discounts/bundles, etc).

That being said, GOG brought the idea to our attention and over a year ago Cameron decided that it was a positive choice, I am sorry you are negative towards this, but I want you to know you are supporting the people who make those decisions, and blaming the ones who don't.

We also have no say in what happens to the original versions of the games, we aren't the owners of those and only licensed them to create our Enhanced Editions.

I hope this clarifies things and you have a great day!
-Charles

context https://af.gog.com/forum/baldurs_ga...g_the_classics_unbundled/post29?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

hell bovine

Arcane
Just ask yourself cui bono and you will know why. From GOG's perspective they would prefer to sell both so people can double dip.
Why would they prefer to sell both (separately)? That's two competing products, one of which sells at a much lower price. Whereas now the only alternative - if you want to buy originals - is hunting down cds or dvds at amazon or ebay.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I don't believe these hacks, the problem is this appeared during Paschal Triduum which is the most important festival/holiday for Catholics (after Easter) so GOG might have missed it and can't respond to these allegations. Anyway, this doesn't make any sense to remove original from GOG's perspective, either way they would profit and at least there wouldn't be as many annoyed customers. Somehow original Baldur's Gate series was available on GOG until whole Dragonspear controversy, don't tell me you think it was GOG's decision?

I would really like to hear the GOG's side to this but I'm guessing it won't happen earlier than Tuesday.
JudasIscariot
Can you comment on that? Do everyone have holidays at GOG (at lest everyone who could address this)?

Edit:
Here's proof that it was Beamdog's decision for BG and that it was related to Dragonspear controversy:
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/de...e_i_ii_icewind_dale_cabe2/post1?as=1649904300
Like I've said dozens of times already, they are parasites, worse than Bethesda.

Deleted member 7219

It is the licence owner that made this decision. Beamdog are just the developer and don't have any say what happens to other D&D licensed games. Nor do GOG.com really.

It is obvious that the publisher wants to push the EE and not have the original version compete with it. Imagine how embarrassing it would be if the original outsold the EE. The mainstream sites would be all over it.

hell bovine

Arcane
Edit:
Here's proof that it was Beamdog's decision for BG and that it was related to Dragonspear controversy:
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/de...e_i_ii_icewind_dale_cabe2/post1?as=1649904300
Like I've said dozens of times already, they are parasites, worse than Bethesda.
Proof for what? That guy is working for the WotC, and he literally is quoted saying "We want these to become the definitive editions – featuring both the enhanced and classic versions of the games."
If anything, it actually confirms what Matt [...] wrote.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Edit:
Proof for what? That guy is working for the WotC, and he literally is quoted saying "We want these to become the definitive editions – featuring both the enhanced and classic versions of the games."
lol
"We're excited to take our commitment and support to Baldur's Gate and GOG fans to the next level and humbled to work with such great partners. The Definitive Edition Bundle will give every Baldur's Gate fan what they're looking for"concludes Cameron Tofer, Beamdog COO.

Add to this that this happened just after Dragonspear flopped and people boycotted this shitty title and it's not hard to notice whose idea that was. GOG has no motive to do something like this since they get the money anyway. And notice that in P:T EE and other EE titles only Beamdog company is mentioned on the store page (not counting wall of text at the bottom which no one reads) which makes them look like they're sole beneficiaries out of this deal even if WotC is also profiting.

hexer

Dragonspear flopped

Flopped commercially or in some other way?
I found Dragonspear fairly entertaining... maybe similar to IWD2.
How could a single shitty minor NPC ruin the entire game for some people baffles me...
I won't nitpick because nobody's perfect.

hell bovine

Arcane
Edit:
lol
"We're excited to take our commitment and support to Baldur's Gate and GOG fans to the next level and humbled to work with such great partners. The Definitive Edition Bundle will give every Baldur's Gate fan what they're looking for"concludes Cameron Tofer, Beamdog COO.

Add to this that this happened just after Dragonspear flopped and people boycotted this shitty title and it's not hard to notice whose idea that was. GOG has no motive to do something like this since they get the money anyway. And notice that in P:T EE and other EE titles only Beamdog company is mentioned on the store page (not counting wall of text at the bottom which no one reads) which makes them look like they're sole beneficiaries out of this deal even if WotC is also profiting.
Are we even reading the same Engrish here? If a manager from WotC says "we want", which company do you think he is representing?

edit, because Engrish:
"The team at Beamdog was able to breathe a new life into the Infinity Engine classics." says Greg Tito, Communications Director for Dungeons & Dragons "We're proud to recognize their excellent work in offering the best possible experience and support for these legendary titles. We want these to become the definitive editions – featuring both the enhanced and classic versions of the games."

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
"we want"
As in Beamdog and WotC (notice that Beamdog is using the same word - "we"). Somehow it only happened after Dragonspear flopped, almost exactly 1 month after the release (1st April and 28 April). Beamdog had to do something to not go under so they've asked WotC for this. How else would you explain such strange correlation? WotC could sell BG titles anyway, they didn't need Beamdog any more but if Beamdog would go bankrupt there would be no P:T: EE or ID 2: EE. Explain to me why WotC would wait until this abomination would come out and fail miserably, why not do it earlier if it were more profitable?

In other words you want me to believe that earlier they've only done what WotC wanted and which was WAY more profitable to Beamdog, since they wouldn't see a dime out of original titles, only from EEs and now what GOG wanted which again, is way more profitable to Beamdog than to GOG which would get the money anyway.

Weak/no motive - GOG and WotC
Strong motive - Beamdog

Plus as a bonus they're sole beneficiaries of this titles fame, only Beamdog is mentioned, no Hasbro/WotC (or Black Isle for that matter which is especially egregious in the case of P:T).

Last edited:

PEACH

Arbiter
Nah dog, Goral is really onto something with this one...

f1f19e514b95ddce191e659c5263a73f.jpg

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
There are boring people and then Goral.
And there are Codexers and their alts or new accounts after ejecting/getting banned (PEACH crayen Latmey mitochondritom and more)

3jnAxjL.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Latmey did the same but he chickened out once I've asked DU whose alts are these and unrated my posts (which he rated "retarded") so his activity to my posts doesn't show now :D.

There are also people who use platitudes and those who don't.

hell bovine

Arcane
"we want"
As in Beamdog and WotC (notice that Beamdog is using the same word - "we"). Somehow it only happened after Dragonspear flopped, almost exactly 1 month after the release (1st April and 28 April). Beamdog had to do something to not go under so they've asked WotC for this. How else would you explain such strange correlation? WotC could sell BG titles anyway, they didn't need Beamdog any more but if Beamdog would go bankrupt there would be no P:T: EE or ID 2: EE. Explain to me why WotC would wait until this abomination would come out and fail miserably, why not do it earlier if it were more profitable?

In other words you want me to believe that earlier they've only done what WotC wanted and which was WAY more profitable to Beamdog, since they wouldn't see a dime out of original titles, only from EEs and now what GOG wanted which again, is way more profitable to Beamdog than to GOG which would get the money anyway.

Strong motive - Beamdog

Plus as a bonus they're sole beneficiaries of this titles fame, only Beamdog is mentioned, no Hasbro/WotC (or Black Isle for that matter which is especially egregious in the case of P:T).
I honestly don't care what you believe in. I think WotC has done what Hasbro wanted, since WotC is owned by Hasbro. If they get additional revenue from licensing SoD (regardless on how it has sold), then it can be more profitable for them to cut down on the sales of the (competing) cheaper product, which is not SoD compatible. Especially since they haven't made it part of the bundle.

Btw, still not reading your Engrish, considering he uses "we" as solely WotC in the previous sentence ("We're proud to recognize their excellent work"), and that "we" is common when talking about your employer.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
There are boring people and then Goral.

It's like if Beamdog raped your dog and killed your mother or something like that.

There are retards and then there are people who buy Beamdog "EE games".

There are butthurts and then there are people who think they have a say in how others should spend their money.

No my dear retard. You can spend your cash however you wish, I never claimed otherwise. I just tell you that you are a retard for throwing it at a company like Beamdog. Don't like it? Tough luck, dipshit.

hexer

I've had enough of this!
I'm filing an official complaint with the Ministry of Butthurt and letting the authorities handle it from now on.

xLBY6RZ.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
"we want"

Strong motive - Beamdog

A post with bolding, italicizing, underlining and capitalization as a crutch, and thread-wide butthurt here and on multiple venues that verges on the attainment of Oneness with Butthurtdom. Yes, I think we have it ladies and gentlemen:

GFt9UZR.gif

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
Anyone who buys this game or defends beamdog is a sub-human creature without dignity or intelligence and should be removed from the gene pool before they have a chance to breed.

If you are too lazy or stupid to patch the original Planescape, then you don't deserve to play it, plain and simple.

If you like the additions beamdog made to the original Planescape, then you have shit taste and should not be posting, plain and simple.

Finally, those who shill for Beamdog are almost as bad as Hildabeast supporters and should be appropriately tagged.

Edit - furthermore, beamdog shills should be barred from using the 'retadred' rating for obvious reasons; in fact I propose adding this icon beside their portraits to identify them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom