Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Castles in RPGs

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
I decided to post this here for two reasons: (1) querying the above title in Google returns jack
(2) this forum has wide exposure, and JRPG mentions aren't as out of
place here as in CRPG Discussion

That said what are your favorite RPG castles? Include whatever description you feel needs to be commented. It would be cool if you could mention them by game age (oldest to newest).

As for me, the only one that really sticks in my memory is Castle Figaro from Final Fantasy 6 Advance. It is not particularly spacious like I would expect of a castle, but having it as a subterrainian sand-crawler was a very cool nuanced for the old 'RPG castle.'

What favorites have you?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Redcliffe in Dragon Age.

It has a brutal storyline and arguably the most interesting one in the game. You get to fight in every nook of the castle, constantly changing scenery unlike the game's mage tower ascent or dwarven mines venture. And you are battling weird shit to boot with a few difficult skirmishes in there. I also liked the look of the castle itself -- being nestled at the bottom of some hills near a lake, leering over a small village with its darkened walls. And the castle just looked realistic, like any other fortification you'd find in the English countryside, a design that was lost entirely in the game's finale.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Funny enough, Castles don't really come to mind much in RPG's, though I remember a couple from Elder Scrolls. Actually, Amnesia and Ico had amazing castles, but again, non-RPG!

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Boletarian Palace from Demon's Souls. It actually pulled off being MAJESTIC. And I liked that a single castle comprised like 5 different levels, making it feel like a long fucking journey, and looking out from the tower where the last boss is and seeing all the areas you passed through.

Other than that idunno. Castles actually tend to be pretty fucking shitty in most RPGs, lots of narrow corridors and sparse rooms.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not a pure RPG, but Castle Borgov in Quest for Glory 4.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Redcliffe in Dragon Age.

It has a brutal storyline and arguably the most interesting one in the game. You get to fight in every nook of the castle, constantly changing scenery unlike the game's mage tower ascent or dwarven mines venture. And you are battling weird shit to boot with a few difficult skirmishes in there. I also liked the look of the castle itself -- being nestled at the bottom of some hills near a lake, leering over a small village with its darkened walls. And the castle just looked realistic, like any other fortification you'd find in the English countryside, a design that was lost entirely in the game's finale.
Gotta admit, it's the only part I actually liked in Fag Age Origins. Because of that I wasted 10 hours more hoping for some more of similiar shit, but there was none and I deleted it right after the mage's tower.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
The Templar fortress-monastery in Darklands. It's got satanic templars, demon hordes inside broom closets, evil alchemists, skeleton warriors and a demon lord. What's more to like? :rpgcodex:

Also - Castle Darkmoor, Might and Magic 6. EVIL EYE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE (well no, this was actually not the 'best' castle, but it was so hilariously frustrating and tough it'll always be the first thing I associate with MM6 when I think about it).

Icewind Dale - The Seldarine Hand. Lots of cool brawling with various types of undead, creepy fucking elf lich (THE ASTROLABE... IS MOVING...) and a great backstory that continues into further areas. Great art deco, too.

Turjan

Arcane
Also - Castle Darkmoor, Might and Magic 6. EVIL EYE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE (well no, this was actually not the 'best' castle, but it was so hilariously frustrating and tough it'll always be the first thing I associate with MM6 when I think about it).
That's the first one that came to my mind when I read the question.

Drakensang TRoT had also some decent ones, although they were not really impressive.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There were quite a few, but the only one that I remember as really good was Durlag's Tower in BG:TotSC. Every room was so interesting, everywhere traps, treasures, unknown enemies and riddles (though very easy, for my disappointment, but they kept up an atmosphere a bit) and great boss at the end of it all with a nice touch to the final fight (using the mirror). I loved that area, actually if you know games with similar locations, let me know.

attackfighter

Magister
Castle Skingrad from Oblivion:

Torches line it's bridge their flames flickering in unison as you approach. At the bridge's end lies an unguarded gate left unlocked, as if daring you to come inside. You swallow your fear and quell your dread feelings, mustering the strength to enter. Within you stealthily explore the musty complex, by chance coming across the Count's personal chambers. You grin widely at your good fortune and frantically sweep the Count's belongings into your inventory, when suddenly you feel a cold hand placed upon your shoulder. You jump, then freeze up and slowly turn around to see none other than the count himself! His red eyes blare as he speaks while bearing large canine fangs "You treacherous filcher, how dare you steal from me?" Every word sinks into you like a dagger, the Count's monstrous appearance makes you despair as you realise you are face to face with an elder vampire. Nothing happens and you slowly regain your composure. The count merely continues to stare you down as you realise your good fortune - you have been spared. You race out of the castle never once looking back. It is an adventure of a lifetime, rivaling Jonathan Harker's stay at Castle Dracula, but for Oblivion, it's just another day in the world of Tamriel.

Gregz

Arcane
Not an RPG, but my favorite castle in all of video games is from the original Castlevania for the NES.

(not adjusted for nostalgia)

32887-castlevania-nes-screenshot-the-map-of-the-levelss.jpg

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
It was originally called The Seldarine Hand (or The Hand of the Seldarine, whatever), back when it was not full of angry spirits and without a Baelnorn in charge

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Severed Hand was awesome but it was more like a giant arcology/fortress than a castle.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Well, the castle of the Old Camp in Gothic 1 was quite nice. The atmosphere, the music, the armours, the whores... the overall aesthetics were just good.

Deleted member 7219

Pretty much every castle in Gothic 3. Each one had its own unique look and feel, and the whole game had outstanding art design.

RPGMaster

Savant
The one I made in Minecraft.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom