Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Best Fallout game?

The best?

• Total voters

bloodlover

Arcane
Fallout 1 for me. Yes F2 is longer and a bit more polished but the writing and jokes and references were too much sometimes.

FNV is the obvious third choice. Obsidian saved the game as much as they could but too bad it was buggy as hell and the engine was god damn awful.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
I'd go F2-F1 and Vegas.

F1 time limit is annoying as helll and the followers are swiss cheese in mid-late game without mods that allow you to put armor on them. Fallout FIXT solves most problems but still Fallout 2 is the better game.

Vegas is a FPS with RPG elements and a nostalgia trip but for me it will never be Fallout. Anything tied with Bethesda and FPS is not fallout in my eyes. It's like making a copy of the Mona Lisa but with Justin Beiber instead.

bloodlover

Arcane
F1 time limit is annoying as helll and the followers are swiss cheese in mid-late game without mods that allow you to put armor on them. Fallout FIXT solves most problems but still Fallout 2 is the better game.

I don't remember the time limit being a problem and I played the game for the first time a couple of years ago. There's even a patch that removes it if I am not mistaken. Followers were just fine too as far as I remember so idk what you're on about. :P

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine

I don't remember the time limit being a problem and I played the game for the first time a couple of years ago. There's even a patch that removes it if I am not mistaken. Followers were just fine too as far as I remember so idk what you're on about. :P
Wtf are you talking about son?I played both Fallout games first time in 1998(after F2 got out) and i know what i'm talking about.
You must have played a moded version because going with Ian an his leather jacket vs mid-late game range enemies would get him killed in 1 turn. Same with Katja and Tycho. I'm also sure you studied some builds and had an walktrough nearby because if you played for the first time you'd get raped by the first scorpion random encounter becasue you have no way of knowing when to run and when to fight.

Last edited:

bloodlover

Arcane
I played my PC DVD Trilogy Collection. I just used the Restoration Project and Widescreen mod for F2 and didn't use any wakthroughs.

I am not denying that the time limit can't be annoying but it's far from a big issue. But I guess playing the game in 1998 instead of 2018 makes your points more valid. :roll:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's pretty fucking rare for companions to survive both Mariposa and the Cathedral. I don't have a problem with that. It makes the ending more epic. The time limits are just there to filter plebs; you have to be wandering back and forth between settlements or else lawnmowering the map like an autist for it to matter.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Fallout 1>Fallout NV>>Tactics>>>>>Fallout 2≈Fallout 4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fallout 3

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
It's pretty fucking rare for companions to survive both Mariposa and the Cathedral. I don't have a problem with that. It makes the ending more epic. The time limits are just there to filter plebs; you have to be wandering back and forth between settlements or else lawnmowering the map like an autist for it to matter.
Yeah I like the fact that companions mostly die in Mariposa and the Cathedral. It hammers home the theme of war never changing. You gain all these friends through your adventure and you lose them all because of man’s evil, but because you are the good in man, you pull through and still win. Makes the ending bittersweet in a role play sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom