Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best multiplayer in an FPS game?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So my playing New Vegas and all these commercials about Black Ops/ Medal of Honor suddenly started bringing up fond memories of CounterStrike/Battlefield 2 multiplayer for me. So I tried to do some research on what the current most popular multiplayer FPS game is and it seems that everyone is playing the two new ones, and giving them both bad/horrible reviews. Anyone have any input? Any other games I should consider? Bad Company 2 seems like people liked it, but is there anyone still playing it?

KreideBein

Scholar
Bad Company 2 is pretty damn good. The vehicles are way more manageable for infantry than in BF2, and helicopters are the only air power (thank god). There is health regeneration, but it's slow enough that unless you get away from combat for a couple of minutes, you're pretty much dead without a medic's help. The unlock system is decent, though the assault class is pretty much useless until you unlock the XM8 (the iron sights on the AEK-971, the first assault class main weapon, make it almost impossible to reliably hit anything beyond 15m or so). The maps are generally quite good and don't favor one side over the other, and the two main game modes, conquest and rush, are both really fun in their own way. As for how many people still play it, I've never had any problems finding a server with 31/32 people to join on just about any map. I'd say that there are around 5k-10k people playing at any given time.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ArmA2 is the best. The only FPS MP game where experience is limited only by the creativity of the mission maker.

Destroid

Arcane
KreideBein said:
Bad Company 2 is pretty damn good. The vehicles are way more manageable for infantry than in BF2, and helicopters are the only air power (thank god). There is health regeneration, but it's slow enough that unless you get away from combat for a couple of minutes, you're pretty much dead without a medic's help. The unlock system is decent, though the assault class is pretty much useless until you unlock the XM8 (the iron sights on the AEK-971, the first assault class main weapon, make it almost impossible to reliably hit anything beyond 15m or so). The maps are generally quite good and don't favor one side over the other, and the two main game modes, conquest and rush, are both really fun in their own way. As for how many people still play it, I've never had any problems finding a server with 31/32 people to join on just about any map. I'd say that there are around 5k-10k people playing at any given time.

But is there any reason to buy Bad Company 2 if you already have BF2 and BF2142?

KreideBein

Scholar
Destroid said:
But is there any reason to buy Bad Company 2 if you already have BF2 and BF2142?

Honestly, if you're still having fun with the other BF games, I wouldn't get BC2 until the price drops a bit. The major changes compared to the other BF games is a higher emphasis on infantry combat, destructible environments (and this actually does matter a great deal in combat, thankfully), and generally more "intense" fighting. I consider it an overall improvement, with the exception of a 32-player limit, but again, there's not enough of a reason to get it yet until the price drops or unless you consider destructible environments to be worth the cost of entry.

Destroid

Arcane
You know, I never really liked the way they made the tank and helicopter pretty much terrible in BF2142. The mech still dominates infantry pretty well, but when you have a giant tank that can be killed by 1 AT shot in the rear, you are actually more vulnerable than you would be just strutting around on foot.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Number one:
No%20One%20Lives%20Forever%20cate-archer-010_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

That's NOLF2.

Quake 2.
Battlefield 1942.
Goldeneye.
Perfect Dark.

Multi-headed Cow

Black Ops is good if you like fast paced Counter-Strike-esque multiplayer. The ranking up and buying upgrades and fiddling with your character build makes it a better RPG than a Bioware game.

Bad Company 2 I'm not terribly fond of, it's smaller scale Battlefield trying to make it more Call of Duty like and not really succeeding. The infantry combat still feels like a Battlefield game for the most part which I always thought was the weakest part.

Team Fortress 2 is a lot of fun. It's fairly slow paced and tends to be based on the momentum of the teams more than anything. If you're willing it wait, it almost positively will be dirt cheap within at least 2 months on a Steam sale.

Those are the big ones now. Still should be enough people playing BF2 if you're inclined to play that. I guess there's also Quake Live if you've got balls of steel and don't feel like spending money. I'd suggest Black Ops or TF2.

Secretninja

Cipher
Bad Company 2 is good, but not as good as BF2 was. Punkbuster fuckups have rendered BF2 unplayable for me, so whatever.

Unreal 2 XMP was fucking epic, but that shit is dead and gone. Unreal 3 is a steaming pile of fecal matter.

The cool kids are playing black ops now, I imagine :M

Andhaira

Arcane
The Jedi Knight games have always had fantastic multiplayer modes.

Destroid

Arcane
Secretninja said:
Bad Company 2 is good, but not as good as BF2 was. Punkbuster fuckups have rendered BF2 unplayable for me, so whatever.

Unreal 2 XMP was fucking epic, but that shit is dead and gone. Unreal 3 is a steaming pile of fecal matter.

The cool kids are playing black ops now, I imagine :M

Unreal 2 XMP was indeed awesome. Very few people seemed to have played it, but it was a really great game, and free too!

Tycn

Savant
Mount&Blade. Even though it seems to have been deserted for Black Ops now.
Destroid said:
No one plays BF2 or 2142 anymore. Makes me wish BC2 never came out.

Probably worth it for $20 though

Red Orchestra
Enemy Territory
BF 1942
Day of Defeat:Source (only if you don't play it much)
Various HL2 MP mods

Upcoming:
Red Orchestra 2 (shameless advertisement)

Edit: And WorldOfTanks isn't bad. Tanks VS Tanks
Fun for a while untill it becomes an unmotivated grindfest.

Quilty

Magister
BC2 is pretty good, but it does suffer from some console faginess, namely the knife. You no longer pull the knife out as a weapon the way you did in CS, but walk up to a guy, mash a button in order to stab him, and then after you've killed the guy your main weapon comes back up. However, this is somewhat broken since you're not in control of the knife but can only position yourself for the insta-kill stabbing animation, which might fail (or succeed even though the dude has obviously dodged you and you're stabbing the air, but the knife somehow registers a hit). Also, if a guy walks up to you and mashes the button, his slashing animation starts and even though you shoot at him, most of the time you won't do any damage because he's in some sort of slashing animation invulnerable mode.

Distructible environment is cool, but it's not the sort you find in Red Faction Guerrilla. Instead, it's predetermined which parts of the object can be knocked out and the animation for this is pre-made and triggered by your position and weapon of choice, not generated in the process of destruction. I guess this was done in order to avoid lag. The textures are also pretty horrible, but hey, you won't be spending a lot of time staring at leaves unless you're recon.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Tycn said:
don't know about 2142 because i never bothered with it, but bf2 still has ~850 servers and some of them are still filled with 64 ppl every evening... you just need to find a crowd you can tolerate

Destroid

Arcane
Fens said:
Tycn said:
don't know about 2142 because i never bothered with it, but bf2 still has ~850 servers and some of them are still filled with 64 ppl every evening... you just need to find a crowd you can tolerate

Yeah was gonna say.. these two are some of the few oldish online games that still have plenty of players. Both are very solid games.

Secretninja

Cipher
I bought tribes 2 for 2.99 from eb when the still carried used computer games, and it wouldn't let me play online.

Also, mad brofist to destroid, a true bro among bros

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom