Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best party/character creation?

Unwanted

HardDeck

Dumbfuck!!
Which rpg has the best party/character creation?

made

Arcane
Gypsy.jpg

Since stats are for nerds and accountants, this was the best character creation ever. My favorite was a purely black and white avatar, but she'd always try to mess with you and add a random color forcing you to reroll remix. Fun times.

Eyeball

Arcane
Wiz8. In fact, if you ask a question on the lines of "which RPG has the best..." the answer is probably Wiz8. Especially if your question concerns awesome hammy voice acting or furries.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Darklands, Realms of Arkania, I love the Fallout one, Daggerfall, probably some Exile or Avernum (I liked the Nethergate one), Ultima IV (for storyfags), Arcanum... Am i forgetting something?

There must be some jap games too, maybe some Wiz clones.

The Round Peg

Educated
Wasn't there an RPG in which the main character started out as a simple farm boy in the beginning without a class and with underwhelming stats, but his class and stats were determined during the gameplay of Chapter 1 in which he had to made a series of decisions?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Wiz8. In fact, if you ask a question on the lines of "which RPG has the best..." the answer is probably Wiz8. Especially if your question concerns awesome hammy voice acting or furries.
If it's not the best it's definitely in the top 3. It's also puzzling why no other RPG ever let you choose your party member's personality and then make them interact based those choices.

LittleJoe

Arbiter

No, the answer is Baldur's Gate.
The trouble with Wiz8 is that the characters are always heard and never seen.
They're just an abstract notion behind your eyeballs, Eyeball.
I'm happy to spend hours creating characters in BG.
I just can't work up the same enthusiam for Wiz8.

LittleJoe

Arbiter

:lol: Good one.
Well, the voice acting in BG is just about the best there has ever been, and there are no furries.
And the character creation is awesome, especially in multiplayer.

empi

Augur

Well, the voice acting in BG is just about the best there has ever been, and there are no furries.

Proving that "newfag" knows no date limits

Kukulkan

Learned
Daggerfall's and Darklands' character creation systems are what I recall being a pleasure of their own to experience.

LittleJoe

Arbiter

Proving that "newfag" knows no date limits

I'd rather be an eternal newfag than an eternal conformist.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Dragon Age had SICK character-creation. Yup.

It's annoying that Dragon Age and TOEE are the only two modern games I can think of that vary starting conditions based on character type. TOEE's was more superficial than DA's, but w/e.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Wasn't there an RPG in which the main character started out as a simple farm boy in the beginning without a class and with underwhelming stats, but his class and stats were determined during the gameplay of Chapter 1 in which he had to made a series of decisions?
Oblivion :troll:

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I HATE character creation like that. Just give me a stat page and let me click on my choices.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Sometimes I start up Wiz 8 just to create a party and end the game afterwards again. True Story.

wizardry 8, jagged alliance 2 and toee come to my mind, not only for the character creation by itself but because you also need many of them, to work together. i never finished wiz8 because i can't stand all those endless and brutal fights, but i could spend hours creating parties.
singularly, i'd say daggerfall: huge customization in the form of cryptic questions or hard cold numbers. lovely.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I must confess I actually like simple chracter creation systems where your characters are created based on how you answer role playing questions. Games like Ultima IV and Dark Heart of Uukrul, where I don't spend days agonizing and crunching numbers.

Baron

Arcane
Mechwarrior.

You start alone. One you have enough credits to purchase another mech you can meet other mech pilots in a bar. They have a name, a portrait and a single line of dialogue, and you hired them on the strength of that. If you can't choose a party whilst drunk what kind of leader are you?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Arcanum is my favorite single-character creation, while Wiz 8 is the favorite party creator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom