Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda bashing thread

Frozen

Arcane
Most people are butthurt about TES games for wrong reasons.
They where like plastic whore with a hot body. You could jerk off to it but you wouldn't fell in love because there is nothing more than fake tits.
Graphics where always the only quality.
Now that whore is old and rugged running on a lame 15+ years old engine, ass is fat, tits are dragging on the floor and only thing to do is laugh at her wearing a miniskirt.

Lemming42

Arcane
Putting aside the mindblowing analogy about falling in love with plastic prostitutes who somehow age, the graphics in TES games have always been anywhere from sub-par to terrible. Even Morrowind's good art direction means fuck all when you can't see 5 feet in front of you because of the draw distance.

"Graphics where [sic] always the only quality" is one of the most bewildering statements anyone could make about TES. It's like saying combat was the only quality of Deus Ex or something - not only is it far from the only quality, it's one of the worst qualities.

Frozen

Arcane
I wasn't talking about art direction.
When each of TES game(s) (plural is kind of mandatory because its the same game over and over and over...like the engine) came out it was at least pushing the hardware of present day.
Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout and to certain extent Skyrim where visually top games of their time. They didn't look dated.
And I didn't say qualities. Plural, again doesn't exist. If TES game has no graphics it has nothing. Its like some cheap Kickstarter fraud.
Analogy likens aside, whenever I see some of those idiots with Vault Boy avatar defending the game with this laughing argument "it was never about the graphics" all I see is " I always loved you Tawny Kitaen/Pamela Anderson/etc. for your mind and soul, marry me!"

Lemming42

Arcane
They were pushing the hardware maybe, but barring Oblivion (which really was graphically impressive despite everyone looking like a glowing potato) I'd say they all looked dated for the time they came out. Vanilla Skyrim in particular can look pretty terrible in places.

It really was never about the graphics, though, it was primarily about the setting and lore, followed by freedom and exploration. The RPG systems are defensible too, with Daggerfall's being impressive and robust but ultimately unworkable - much like everything else in Daggerfall - and Morrowind's being serviceable and allowing for a variety of distinct playstyles.

Frozen

Arcane
Never cared for TES lore to me it was typical hi fantasy blob.
The thing they did fucked up lore wise I do know is Fallout.
Not so much about info more about the tone. There never was an inch of subtlety in any TES game, everything is literally taken.
And it shows the most in something like Fallout that had satire elements at its core, so its normal that they completely misinterpreted source material (Fallout 1 and 2)
Vault Boy was never a mascot he was part of the satire, as was 50s and all the rest.
It wasn't glorification of the "good old days" it was mockery of that line of fought and how from it nuclear wasteland came to be.
I don't think Todd is stupid he is probably smart to get how to make a game for a plain simpleton.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
DraQ

jackson_pop_corn.gif

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
you're both wrong, tes is popular because they're good at making you feel like you're the chosen one. sophisticated gamers :obviously: react to this by rolling their eyes at being limited to just a mary sue, but for the kids it's the best blowjob they've ever had.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
tes is popular because they're good at making you feel like you're the chosen one

Well then Fallout 4 will break all records, because there is no level cap and you can become God compared to other men.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout and to certain extent Skyrim where visually top games of their time. They didn't look dated.
I don't know which universe you're living in, but Bethesda's games are ugly and many years behind the what the game industry at large considers 'average visuals'.
And most of that inherent ugliness is unfixable, because it's due to basic crap in the engine being ridiculously primitive and dated.

For example, the entire lighting model in Fallout 3. I've never seen a post-2000 game so devoid of shadows or any details in the lighting.
Consider for a moment that Doom 3 was released in mid 2004, and fallout 3 followed over 4 years later.

Frozen

Arcane
The Vault Boy was always Vault Tec's corporative mascot.

If you take it literally, but in a theme of entire game he was much more. He was a simbol of pre war retardation reflecting typical USA 50s cold war psychotic mentality.
Bethesda could never se beneath a paper bag.

Lemming42

Arcane
you're both wrong, tes is popular because they're good at making you feel like you're the chosen one. sophisticated gamers :obviously: react to this by rolling their eyes at being limited to just a mary sue, but for the kids it's the best blowjob they've ever had.

Have you played any of them other than Oblivion and Skyrim? Not asking in an aggressive way, I just don't see how the chosen one accusation could be put against Daggerfall or Morrowind. In Arena on the other hand you are a literal chosen one, though it doesn't feel like it when you're being ripped apart by rats.

In Morrowind you might have been the Chosen One, but it was equally as likely that you were just a pawn of a half a dozen other sides. You get manipulated by secretive factions and kings and gods, with them playing off each other. And you're the latest in a line of people who got drafted. Maybe this time it will take.

"Hey, go do this and pick up this."

"Doesn't this resemble the prophecies those nomads in the wastes believe in?"

"Imagine that."

CrawlingDead

Learned
Putting aside the mindblowing analogy about falling in love with plastic prostitutes who somehow age, the graphics in TES games have always been anywhere from sub-par to terrible. Even Morrowind's good art direction means fuck all when you can't see 5 feet in front of you because of the draw distance.

"Graphics where [sic] always the only quality" is one of the most bewildering statements anyone could make about TES. It's like saying combat was the only quality of Deus Ex or something - not only is it far from the only quality, it's one of the worst qualities.
You're a fucking retard. TES, up until Skyrim, had some pretty impressive graphics for their times, especially Morrowind. Buy some thicker glasses dickhead.

You're wrong.

pippin

That is devolving into graphics vs art direction.
Morrowind had great art direction, the graphics were good but they aged fast. Oblivion had bland art direction and their graphics aged even faster. Skyrim had mediocre art direction and their graphics are still somewhat relevant due to the reliance on aesthetic fluff like bloom, particles and shit.
At least that's my opinion. Morrowind is like going back to Silent Hill: a game that managed to overcome its shortcomings with clever tech and design ideas. However Oblivion has aged like shit in this department.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
Have you played any of them other than Oblivion and Skyrim? Not asking in an aggressive way, I just don't see how the chosen one accusation could be put against Daggerfall or Morrowind. In Arena on the other hand you are a literal chosen one, though it doesn't feel like it when you're being ripped apart by rats.
yes i have. you are definitely a chosen one in morrowind, you're the the nerevarine and fulfill various prophecies as you go along. as for daggerfall it's been a long time i don't know.

Lemming42

Arcane
You're a fucking retard. TES, up until Skyrim, had some pretty impressive graphics for their times, especially Morrowind. Buy some thicker glasses dickhead.

You're wrong.

I'm not sure what to compare Arena and Daggerfall against, but Morrowind looks like shit, Oblivion looked good (although the horrible post processing did it's best to make it look horrible) and Skyrim looks either bad or terrible depending on the location.

Seriously, compare any other game from 2002 - in fact, go back to 2001 as well - and tell me Morrowind looks better. As has been mentioned, the art direction is one of Morrowind's huge strong points but in terms of actual graphics it's eye-burningly bad.

yes i have. you are definitely a chosen one in morrowind, you're the the nerevarine and fulfill various prophecies as you go along. as for daggerfall it's been a long time i don't know.

One of the focuses of the plot is the validity of the Nerevarine prophecy, and it's never really confirmed whether it was actually true or not. There were plenty of failed Nerevarines before the player character and the only reason you were chosen is because you happened to fit the very broad criteria for the prophecy. It's also worth noting that everyone in Morrowind treats you like shit no matter how much you try to assume the role of the chosen one, until you actually prove your ability to them.

Daggerfall's protagonist couldn't really be considered a chosen one, you're just an Imperial messenger who gets gradually drawn into the political conspiracies and eventually the totem thing.

I agree that Oblivion and especially Skyrim try to make the player feel like a ridiculously powerful chosen one but it's not a fair criticism to level against the entire series.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Lore vagaries aside I felt pretty fucking chosen in Morrowind; something about Azura giving me the time of day, invincibility, flight and pwning Vivec with a piece of kitchenware.

In Oblivion my schnook fled at the sight of fifteeth level rats and looked on in (apparent) awe as Martin became the avatar of a dragon god and banished a daedric prince - in a mouse-look cutscene, no less.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

You're wrong.

Bethesda Graphics were impressive in oblivion?

You know it came 2 years -after- Half Life 2 right?

Is this still up to debate?

half-life-2-20041001075518411.jpg

Two Years Later...

maxresdefault.jpg

CrawlingDead

Learned
Bethesda Graphics were impressive in oblivion?

You know it came 2 years -after- Half Life 2 right?

Is this still up to debate?

half-life-2-20041001075518411.jpg

Two Years Later...

maxresdefault.jpg
The character models in TES have always been notoriously bad, and I can't excuse Oblivion for it, but the world environment was indeed pretty impressive. There was nothing like it around that time that I can think of. Now, if they were developing for primarily the PC as they did with Morrowind, I think they could have done even more. I'm not sure how a PC from that era could have run a game with the same scope as Oblivion under the source engine.

As for Lemming42 -- Morrowind was a sight to behold upon release, barring character models as I've mentioned above.

pippin

I once read Cyrodiil couldn't be made into a jungle because the xbox wasn't powerful enough to deal with it. I don't know if this is true, but it might be.

Lore vagaries aside I felt pretty fucking chosen in Morrowind; something about Azura giving me the time of day, invincibility, flight and pwning Vivec with a piece of kitchenware.

Immortality, not invincibility. And that is just a side effect of having a disease. One that normally turns people into mad, malformed lumps of flesh. Which you avoided by allowing yourself to get experimented on by a 4000+ year old arch-mage so bored he cloned himself. You never get cured, instead he figures out a way to modify the symptoms.

Flight? Join the club. Telvanni design their towers to keep plebes who can't fly out of the upper levels.

With Wraithguard Fargoth could have handled Sunder and Keening. But he didn't have spy organizations massaging things behind the scenes to bring him to Vivec's attention. Because the Emperor hates unknown quantities or threats and Dagoth Ur fit. Items of obscene power? Floating all over the place, or buried in the ground. Some of them are even sentient to a degree. They will actually move on after awhile.

As for Azura, didn't they hint she supported some of the other potentials as well? Right up until they croaked. "You're special, you'll surely survive."

Thud

"Oh drat."

But thanks to Corprus, you were hardy enough to tank it.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The character models in TES have always been notoriously bad, and I can't excuse Oblivion for it, but the world environment was indeed pretty impressive. There was nothing like it around that time that I can think of. Now, if they were developing for primarily the PC as they did with Morrowind, I think they could have done even more. I'm not sure how a PC from that era could have run a game with the same scope as Oblivion under the source engine.

As for Lemming42 -- Morrowind was a sight to behold upon release, barring character models as I've mentioned above.

The concept of a open world was not that revolutionary or new.. Most of us experienced it already in morrowind in a similar style..

The graphics.....

I remember my first time firing up Counter Strike Source... I couldn't believe it.. from 1.6 to this.. it was amazing.. The physics engine too.. that was one of the last times a game made my jaw drop. Oblivion was just morrowind with nicer graphics and worse gameplay.

Sorry it didn't make me blow my load..

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
seems hard to believe now but i do remember emerging from the initial dungeon in daggerfall and being awed by the snowy forest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom