Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda: If you say graphics don't matter, you're probably

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wot_screen003.jpg

dump020m.jpg

robin_hood_the_legend_of_sherwood-4.jpg

Good graphics.

oblivion_landscape_6200.jpg

Dragon-Age-2-Screen.jpg

gears_of_war_02_qjpreviewth.jpg

Bad graphics.

Suck it down :smug:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hobo Elf said:
Art style over graphics. A concept many of these simians still haven't wrapped their heads around.

This. I don't get what's so hard about it. Having an engine that can render pretty landscapes doesn't really mean anything if all your art assets are terribly designed. Oblivion looks like a fucking theme park in spite of the capabilities of its engine, and Fallout 3 is hardly any better.

DraQ

Arcane
Xor said:
Hobo Elf said:
Art style over graphics. A concept many of these simians still haven't wrapped their heads around.

This. I don't get what's so hard about it. Having an engine that can render pretty landscapes doesn't really mean anything if all your art assets are terribly designed. Oblivion looks like a fucking theme park in spite of the capabilities of its engine, and Fallout 3 is hardly any better.
It doesn't just look like this. It is a theme park.

Neobethesda cannot into worldbuilding.

bhlaab

Erudite
They do matter. It all depends on what your definitions of "good graphics" and "good enough graphics" are

Micmu

Magister
Ah, the usual bullshit. He cleverly uses the generic term "graphics".
Like others have said, prettiness matters. Not raw image quality. That said, neo-batshitsda games are ugly as fuck no matter what hardware/3D APIs, middleware, etc... they use. I still can't forget those disfigured NPC faces and distant textures from oblivious. Those horrific images will haunt me forever.
And even good art style can't give you more "immersion" if mechanics, writing, game world, setting, etc... are poorly executed or "arcadish".

Yes, exactly. How can you claim a game has good graphics when your terrain looks like play-doh and it's characters look plain horrible? What looks good here? I don't get it.

Black

Arcane
Should he really be saying this considering they released this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TTdhl87Bys ?

But it doesn't really matter, bethtards, just like biodrones, think that pre-rendered shit is how the game will look.

Also, dear uncle Pete, I'd consider animations part of graphics. Have something to say?

Baron

Arcane
The Codex - Never retreat, never surrender.

I agree with everything he said. He never said graphics were the only factor in creating immersion, just an integral part. (Certainly true when you have shit writers.) I still agree with him.

And that it was a valuable marketing tool. Yep again.

Canus

Savant
JarkFrank is that first screenshot of the Wheel of Time game?

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Hobo Elf said:
Isn't art style a part of graphics?

In marketing terminology, good graphics = higher resolution textures than other games, even if your artists have the skills of a 9 year old award-winning finger painter.

Achilles

Arcane
He's right. As much as we hate to admit it, we all love good graphics and there's nothing wrong with that - as long as we don't put graphics over gameplay.

Ovg

Cipher
Damn, I prefer roguelike graphics over oblibianz, does it make me a horrbile liar?

Norfleet

"Graphics" don't matter in the sense that graphics is only one component of the user interface experience. "Graphics" isn't what matters: The experience is what matters, and "immersion" is just one more pointless, overused buzzword. So many these days keep harping on it, even while the only thing they're immersing you in is a vat of shit. And how high-tech the graphics are matters NOT AT ALL if it's still ugly. High-tech crap is still crap.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Hobo Elf said:
Isn't art style a part of graphics?

It's not at all the same in my opinion. Personally I sometimes get called a graphics whore, but in fact I am an esthetics whore. That's why most of these new games with shiny graphics don't do anything to me (Oblivion, Fallout 3 = good graphics LOL), and it's old games like for example TOEE or Arcanum that give me a hard on.

Great graphics must be crisp, consistent and artistically pleasing. And they must be made by someone with talent. The notion that you only need to pile tons of the latest post processing effects and particle effects on top of ugly, mediocre 3d models is complete bullshit.

laclongquan

Arcane

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Of course graphics matter. As do gameplay, long term challenge, story, and engine capabilites.

Everything matters in a great game.

In my opinion a perfect game must be good in all aspects. I still remember the day when I played the demo for Ultima Underworld, and I thought: "That's the one that has everything: A great engine, great graphics (for the time), sophisticated gameplay, and a top-class story".

That was 1994. Nowadays we have nothing but these company fuckers that can't even get the graphics right, not to speak of the rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom