Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Betrayal at Krondor

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Betrayal at Kondor

This is the comments thread for <A HREF="/gamedetails.php?id=429">Betrayal at Krondor</A>

Sirus

Liturgist
more like begayal at krondor.. am i rite or am i rite?

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
I actually just started playing this game recently, and I've heard the writing compared to PS:T, but for some reason it hasn't really made such a compelling first impression like Torment did. It probably has to do with totally uncoventional setting/intro/beginning of Torment vs. the relatively generic fantasy setting that's in BaK. I'm guessing it gets better, otherwise it wouldn't be so highly praised by the old school RPG Illuminati, but I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment.

Cassidy

Arcane
90% of the time I spent in my last BoK playthrough was with exploring and side-quests, while 10% was related with the main quest. I could easily just go straight to where I have to instead, but this is one of its strengths, and there are lots of places to explore and quest at. A combat system more challenging than those of nearly any CRPG released since 1995 is another.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ion Flux said:
I actually just started playing this game recently, and I've heard the writing compared to PS:T, but for some reason it hasn't really made such a compelling first impression like Torment did. It probably has to do with totally uncoventional setting/intro/beginning of Torment vs. the relatively generic fantasy setting that's in BaK. I'm guessing it gets better, otherwise it wouldn't be so highly praised by the old school RPG Illuminati, but I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment.
It probably has to do with R.E. Feist being a underwhelming author.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Ion Flux said:
Well, the game's story is great, because often by exploring around the game, doing some quests, and gathering some clues, you end up finding the connections between so many things and it reveals so many new dimensions to what is going on.

Because even if you finish the game, you might only know a part of what was actually going on. Many of the things, you can discover on your own.

For one thing, you come across a banished noble, who gives you some info. He seems like a good natured guy, until you discover that he has been working with the enemy in some capacity. And then, there is this one plot about an ancient magical sword, and it is one of the clues behind a murder mystery in the game. When I played the game a second time, I discovered that the matter of this sword is also connected to the secret war between two groups of thieves. It was even more shocking to learn that you can actually find this very sword in the game (and that's a whole quest in itself).

Moreover, the said secret war between thieves is also connected to the plot of another quest regarding land acquisition and a ghost haunting a shop.

That's the much I can say without really spoiling the game.

The writer of the game was already responsible for several fantasy novels, but he was also a serious videogame enthusiast, a rare combination, and hence, he knew how to make a story work in a videogame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom