Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG2 - first time play-through

Severian Silk

I'm playing BG2 for the first time. Are there any mods/patches you can recommend that improve the game somehow?

Thanks.

Andhaira

Arcane
No. Play it vanilla + Throne of Bhaal expansion the first time.

Severian Silk

A lot of the mods mention something called WeiDU. What is it, and do I need to install it as well?

bhlaab

Erudite
Edit #232342342

i think you're fine, just download it and install.

Severian Silk

I'm downloading these mods/patches:

BG2:SoA official patch
The Big Picture
Shadows over Soubar
The Darkest Day
BG2 Fixpack
BG2 Tweaks
One Pixel Productions

This guide sort of outlines what I need to do. The only one I'm not sure about is the last mod, One Pixel Productions. Hopefully it/they all install without a hitch.

[edit]
One last question: Do I need to install a mod loader or use a special command line? Or, is everything set up and ready to go once I install the mods?

Assnuggets said:

The Big Picture
Shadows over Soubar
The Darkest Day
BG2 Fixpack
BG2 Tweaks
One Pixel Productions

This guide sort of outlines what I need to do. The only one I'm not sure about is the last mod (OPP). Hopefully it/they all install without a hitch.

I'd avoid a modded playthrough first time. A lot of the mods make things really unstable, especially the content ones. And if they don't cause technical issues, a lot of mods add horribly unbalanced things like super weapons/characters or devastating encounters at low levels that require Shepard-level EXTREME! cheese. If anything stick to just the official patch and maybe a fixpack. Plus, most mods are complete shit.

Avoid the tweakpacks as they change things a first-timer might not like, such as severely weakening certain items or tactics or greatly changing certain gameplay features (elimination of party infighting, removal of class restrictions on strongholds, etc.). They are designed for the ease of veteran players, but would ruin a beginner game as you'd miss out on a lot of the fun and charm.

If there's one mod that's okay, it's Unfinished Business. It's small, and constructed mostly of unused content in the game, making it more stable and it blends in better.

It's kinda like JA2. Play unmodded first, then go for the mods. Playing BG2 modded first would be like trying to play JA2 with 1.13 first...not so much fun.

Your call though.

Severian Silk

Awesome, thanks.

L'ennui said:
You joined this forum in '03 and are playing BG2 for the first time NOW??? Does not compute. Still, enjoy!
I played KoTR, which I didn't like, so I was hesitant of buying another Bioware game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Edward_R_Murrow said:
I'd avoid a modded playthrough first time. A lot of the mods make things really unstable, especially the content ones. And if they don't cause technical issues, a lot of mods add horribly unbalanced things like super weapons/characters or devastating encounters at low levels that require Shepard-level EXTREME! cheese. If anything stick to just the official patch and maybe a fixpack. Plus, most mods are complete shit.

Avoid the tweakpacks as they change things a first-timer might not like, such as severely weakening certain items or tactics or greatly changing certain gameplay features (elimination of party infighting, removal of class restrictions on strongholds, etc.). They are designed for the ease of veteran players, but would ruin a beginner game as you'd miss out on a lot of the fun and charm.

If there's one mod that's okay, it's Unfinished Business. It's small, and constructed mostly of unused content in the game, making it more stable and it blends in better.

It's kinda like JA2. Play unmodded first, then go for the mods. Playing BG2 modded first would be like trying to play JA2 with 1.13 first...not so much fun.

Your call though.

This.

Nex

Cipher

Morkar Left

Nex said:
Check out the Big World Project for the biggest collection of mods and addons. Makes for a mega sized game.

Now has the Big World Setup to make installing it all so much easier.

Check out:

Big World Project: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=39305
Big World Setup: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=39756

But yeah, I agree that for first timer just vanilla is fine. You can be so swamped with content with the BWP.

I can recommend this too. And don´t use Shadows over Soubar and The Darkest Day for a first time playthrough. It is more annoying than adding to a good experience.

dragonfk

Erudite
Assnuggets said:

The Big Picture
Shadows over Soubar
The Darkest Day
BG2 Fixpack
BG2 Tweaks
One Pixel Productions

This guide sort of outlines what I need to do. The only one I'm not sure about is the last mod, One Pixel Productions. Hopefully it/they all install without a hitch.

[edit]
One last question: Do I need to install a mod loader or use a special command line? Or, is everything set up and ready to go once I install the mods?

NO!!

Really dont use any mods on your first playthrough. Trust me and other guys. Frequently mods are of subpar quality (especialy in writing department) and will hinder your fun. BG2 doesnt need any mods to be fun.

Go Vanilla!

Midwinter

Novice
Just install BG2 Fixpack (already contains Baldurdash) and Widescreen Mod. The only content altering mods I'd recommend for a first playthrough are Unfinished Business (restores a few planned sidequests) and the Rogue Rebalancing Mod if you're going to play a thief. Tweak Pack only if you know what you're doing.

I really wouldn't install The Darkest Day or Shadows over Soubar. They're buggy, unbalanced and way below the quality of the original game. There are far, far better mods available. But BG2 is already a huge game, so why mod it if this is your first experience with the game?

Qwinn

Scholar
I agree with just BG2 Fixpack and potentially the Widescreen mod on a first playthrough.

Qwinn

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Are you playing with the Throne of Bhaal expasion? If so, then you should try DGaider's mod... I think the name is "ascension" or whatever.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I second the recommendations. Widescreen mod is all you need.

Black said:
The most overrated Bioware's game ever

Quite the contrary, it's the only truly good game Bioware have ever made. They keep on rehashing countless elements from it (characters, backstory et caetera) for a reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom