Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware: Dragon Age and Mass Effect

Drakron

Arcane
obediah said:
I'm so intrigued by this, that I'm almost ready to go looking through old threads to see your reasoning behind this. I liked BGII way way more than BGI - I played them both at release and couldn't finish BG1 - I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone that liked BG more than BGII before.

Dont bother, I never posted about why I like BG over BG2.

Gromnir

Liturgist
vol might be right... but he could be wrong.

bob mccabe (a bio developer) has specifically stated that bio is toying with the idea of makings combat include more fps. in particular, he has noted that combats might be requiring players to aim and that the pov might be fp or over shoulder. however, bio has not actually announced if combats is gonna be governed by your character's abilities or by your own manual dexterity and apacity for button mashing.

call it an action rpg all you wish, but bio is at least considering making ME combat akin to typical fps models... which is exactly why Gromnir has stopped following the development of ME. if we hears that fps hybrid experimentation is no longer being considered, then maybes we go back and give ME a second look.

the genre labels is broken. how many times has we seen people argue that diablo is, or is not a crpg? is just one example. the folks who came up with the labels is nerdlings and game publishers... you can't expect 'em to be particularly well considered. regardless, bio is indeed still considering whether or not to makes the player's ability to aim with a gamepad an important, if not deciding factor, in how combats is resolved in ME... which sure as heck sounds to Gromnir like the way they does the combat things in an fps.

can ME still be an action-crpg if it uses fps combat ? not for Gromnir... but if such a label works for vol then we not mind. argue over the definition is kinda silly if we is all talking 'bout the same thing and if we is all understanding what elements/features is included.

HA! Good Fun!

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

Volourn is always right.

If it turns out he's wrong, then he was just probably fucking with your head.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
Volourn said:
3. Almost every SW fanboy I have seen has done nothing but heap praise upon KOTOR. Repeatedly.

I'm an SW fanboy and while I enjoyed playing KOTOR, it felt more like a chose your own adventure game than an RPG. As for JE, I have mixed feelings. I thought it was promising and had some interesting ideas, but when I finally saw myself viewing the ending credits I was left with a stale taste in my mouth, "that's it? what a jip!".

Felt waay too short, I felt it deserved more time, it is my most hated game in the Bioware library.

I didn't even bother with KOTOR2 - just didn't rub me the right way....

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
Gromnir said:

bob mccabe (a bio developer) has specifically stated that bio is toying with the idea of makings combat include more fps. in particular, he has noted that combats might be requiring players to aim and that the pov might be fp or over shoulder. however, bio has not actually announced if combats is gonna be governed by your character's abilities or by your own manual dexterity and apacity for button mashing.

call it an action rpg all you wish, but bio is at least considering making ME combat akin to typical fps models... which is exactly why Gromnir has stopped following the development of ME. if we hears that fps hybrid experimentation is no longer being considered, then maybes we go back and give ME a second look.

the genre labels is broken. how many times has we seen people argue that diablo is, or is not a crpg? is just one example. the folks who came up with the labels is nerdlings and game publishers... you can't expect 'em to be particularly well considered. regardless, bio is indeed still considering whether or not to makes the player's ability to aim with a gamepad an important, if not deciding factor, in how combats is resolved in ME... which sure as heck sounds to Gromnir like the way they does the combat things in an fps.

can ME still be an action-crpg if it uses fps combat ? not for Gromnir... but if such a label works for vol then we not mind. argue over the definition is kinda silly if we is all talking 'bout the same thing and if we is all understanding what elements/features is included.

HA! Good Fun!

Great points, also important to note that the Blizzard defectors working on Hellgate: London are also going the FPS route - but with an interesting twist. While you may have an enemy pegged dead center under your crosshair, whether or not you hit that target is determined by stats. I am interesting to see how the real time FPS gameplay is effected by stat driven elements like accuracy. It may piss off Halo-gimps and I am curious to see how it play/works. Deus Ex had a similar system, but if your cross hair was over someone you could still nail them - from what I've been reading about Hellgate:London, their approach isn't as FPS forgiving.

*shrug*

obediah

Erudite
Drakron said:
obediah said:
I'm so intrigued by this, that I'm almost ready to go looking through old threads to see your reasoning behind this. I liked BGII way way more than BGI - I played them both at release and couldn't finish BG1 - I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone that liked BG more than BGII before.

Dont bother, I never posted about why I like BG over BG2.

heh, thanks. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom