Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware fans crying over Shepard's grave

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
"The growing throngs of Mass Effect fans that have taken to the internet to demand changes to the game's ending have drawn a response from Bioware executive producer Casey Hudson, who says "insights and constructive feedback" from fans will help shape new content for the game going forward."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...g-complaints-as-protest-continues-to-grow.ars

Maybe all the ME story was a dream of Shepard's boyfriend. :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
"The growing throngs of Mass Effect fans that have taken to the internet to demand changes to the game's ending have drawn a response from Bioware executive producer Casey Hudson, who says "insights and constructive feedback" from fans will help shape new content for the game going forward."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...g-complaints-as-protest-continues-to-grow.ars

Maybe all the ME story was a dream of Shepard's boyfriend. :smug:
I'm conflicted:

On one hand being willing to express something even at the risk of butthurting your fans requires some balls, and making BSN/biowhores cry alone is a :salute: worthy move.

On the other, I'd be saluting bioware, and glossing over the fact that whatever they tried to express involved magical rays turning people and aliens into cyborgs.

:retarded:

HELP CODEX WAT DO?

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Did anyone not see this coming?

"BAW! Mass Effect doesn't end with Shepherd and Waifu living happily ever after with human-alien hybrid children in an idyllic small village with your former crew serving as kooky neighbors! Shit game! Fuck Bioware! This is the greatest injustice since slavery! I'll be blogging about this 24/7 while I work on the REAL ENDING on my blog at masseffecteroticfanfiction.ca! ;_;"

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
The business problem with selling a happy ending on the final part of a product series is that the player, satisfied with closure, effectively closes the door on that brand installment in his mind.

It is wasteful and outmoded thinking that our mindshare leverage should end with the release of just the main portion of the product.

The solution is logical and immediate. Do not make a 'happy ending'.

There may be some outcry, sure, but the profit from the latter expansion with closure for the costumer will result in a net gain even after PR costs. With that subsequent release percieved brand integrity will re-consolidate and we can continue with effective use of the IP.

With repeats of this process on our other lines we can amend consumer confidence of the normality in such product patterns.
7a8qA.jpg

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The business problem with selling a happy ending on the final part of a product series is that the player, satisfied with closure, effectively closes the door on that brand installment in his mind.

It is wasteful and outmoded thinking that our mindshare leverage should end with the release of just the main portion of the product.

The solution is logical and immediate. Do not make a 'happy ending'.

There may be some outcry, sure, but the profit from the latter expansion with closure for the costumer will result in a net gain even after PR costs. With that subsequent release percieved brand integrity will re-consolidate and we can continue with effective use of the IP.

With repeats of this process on our other lines we can amend consumer confidence of the normality in such product patterns.
7a8qA.jpg
What is better and Why? Biowhores or filthy Joos like him? :troll:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, did the bad ending actually have a meaning in the context of the storyline, as in Shepard sacrificing himself or something?

Cause I think it's so hilarious how all the rabid defenders of Bioware's storywriting are incredibly butthurt when their hero dies and go all "bawwww it ruins the story!!" :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(Sung to the tune of ‘Singing in the Rain’)​

I’m piiiiiissing on his grave
just piiiiissing on his grave
What a glorious feelin’
I’m defiling his name

Let the BSN chase
everyone from the grave
Come on with the pee
I’m urinating freely

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh…………….

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't get it? Isn't Shepard the character the player is controling? Surely (s)he only dies if the player screws up?

octavius
Nope,Shepard dies no matter what. You can be the best Shepard in the world, have friends with whole galaxy and he/she dies almost the same way as horrbile Shepard from hell.
Thats why all this major butthurt. :smug:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
octavius
Nope,Shepard dies no matter what. You can be the best Shepard in the world, have friends with whole galaxy and he/she dies almost the same way as horrbile Shepard from hell.

But are they butthurt for the right reason?
Are they butthurt because they have no control or because it leads to a sad cutscene?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think that, other than the biodrones, most people's unhappiness with the ending is less the absence of rainbows and unicorns, and more the fact that it's a railroaded, poorly-written, nonsensical (and boring) piece of tripe that essentially removes any illusion of significant player choice they might have had from the series. Game journalists seem to be consciously ignoring this in favor of painting the detractors as people who just don't like unhappy endings... but then, it seems pretty obvious that game journalists line up to slurp Bioware at any opportunity.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
octavius

Are they butthurt because they have no control or because it leads to a sad cutscene?
The only thing sad about the cutscene is how bad it is. :smug:

They cry out loud,because no matter what you do, it comes to picture of shepard commiting suicide sacrificing himself and they don't have any significant control over this.
But in my opinion, they cry more because waifu of choice does't care about Shepard dies and she is happy on uncharted world, light years away from earth.:cry:

Gord

Arcane
HELP CODEX WAT DO?

If it helps you, it comes down to this:

Did they do this with the intention of providing a different, "true" (and possibly better) ending later through DLC?
Trolling their fans on such a level does require balls indeed and one would have to give them some credit for it, no matter what.
(Unless the "true" ending is equally shitty - and by shitty I don't mean Sheperd dies, I mean making no sense whatsoever)

Did they deliberately end the series in a giant plot-hole, showing their "devoted fans" a big finger?
Then they are just assholes.

Or did they really think that what they did there is good, deep and artsy writing?
In that case they are only to be pitied.

Johannes

Arcane
Ending was probably shitty but man, changing it after the fact based on fan feedback? That's retarded, it kinda almost reveals Bioware didn't have any real vision toward the storyline of the game but just slapped some shit together where every part is changeable and disposable.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
octavius

I dunno really, but they should be butthurt.

This shit was thrown together the last minute before the game went gold. Every time I see the video I laugh.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Ending was probably shitty but man, changing it after the fact based on fan feedback? That's retarded, it kinda almost reveals Bioware didn't have any real vision toward the storyline of the game but just slapped some shit together where every part is changeable and disposable.

Canadians like to buckle down and take it into the ass once objection arises.

Seriously, this is disgusting. They made a shitty railroaded game, okay, but at least they should stand up to their shitty railroaded game instead of getting scared of their Biodrones customer base.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
they should stand up to their shitty railroaded game instead of getting scared of their Biodrones customer base.

honestly this reminds me a lot about the reaction to DA2, except on a larger scale

anytime now someone in charge over there will stand up and make reassuring noises and simultaneously announce a DLC that will 'completely address the concerns we've heard'. Again.

cue "OMFG BIOWARE LISTENS TO ITS FANS I knew I could believe in them"

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
octavius

I dunno really, but they should be butthurt.

This shit was thrown together the last minute before the game went gold. Every time I see the video I laugh.

Biowhores deserve this shit and nothing less. LOL that's what you get when you give money to a company like EA.

mondblut

Arcane
...more the fact that it's a railroaded, poorly-written, nonsensical (and boring) piece of tripe that essentially removes any illusion of significant player choice they might have had from the series.

You mean, just like every other word of a narration bioware has ever produced? I don't get the outrage, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom