Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware is all about the sophistication.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It seems like a long time ago, but I recall that long before Mass Effect was even released, when its first gameplay video generated hype and excitement (2005-06-ish?), I as a 14-15-year-old thought that this RPG developer from Canada would be left clueless developing a shooter.

They had no experience in making shooters, they had no member in a team involved in the development of any significant shooters in the past, nothing. All that Mass Effect would do is have the RPG genre try to reinvent the wheel in shooters, and start several years behind the curve.

And several years behind the curve they are, even as my less astute teenage self figured. In 2012, BioWare shall do with Mass Effect series what shooters have done since 1998? That's 14 years behind the curve. That's...I don't even know how far back behind the curve that is. If you were a newly married man playing Half Life in 1998, your 13 year old son will finally discover with Mass Effect 3 what you discovered before he was born.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
ME is definitely behind the curve. They're only NOW adding features that were standard in Gears of War 1 like rolling and going from cover to cover and that game was released a year before ME1.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ME is definitely behind the curve. They're only NOW adding features that were standard in Gears of War 1 like rolling and going from cover to cover and that game was released a year before ME1.

The key to understanding Bioware's fanbase is that it's made up of faux-hipsternerds who pride themselves on not playing the popular "dudebro" action franchises. They don't CARE what's state of the art in Gears of War or Call of Duty. Many of them don't even know.

But, they can be eased into any action bullshit you please, if you constantly hold their hands with an EPIC plot, give them waifu romances, and tell them it's an RPG. It's like taking a shy, hesitant virgin boy to a prostitute and reassuring him "She loves you! She wants you!" so that he doesn't get cold feet and run away.
In summary, action game players are the jocks and Bioware players are the nerds - ie, they're all just a bunch of dumb high school kids. Codexers are the adults. :smug::rpgcodex:

DraQ

Arcane
And several years behind the curve they are, even as my less astute teenage self figured. In 2012, BioWare shall do with Mass Effect series what shooters have done since 1998? That's 14 years behind the curve. That's...I don't even know how far back behind the curve that is. If you were a newly married man playing Half Life in 1998, your 13 year old son will finally discover with Mass Effect 3 what you discovered before he was born.
For comparison, 14 years is almost the difference between Wolf3D and STALKER, and far more than the difference between Wolf3D and HL2, let alone HL1, Unreal or System Shock 2.

And no, being clueless noobs doesn't cut it as an excuse if amateur Unreal modders have released far more involved environments as their first maps since almost the beginning of Unreal modding scene.

Ermm

Erudite
-Sophistimicated Gameplay: Objectives CHANGE WHILE YOU'RE PLAYING!!!!!. You can fall through corridors into another corridor!!11!!
Wow. In a few years they may even reach HL1 level of sophistication (optimistically speaking).

Didn't you know, that largely the stuff what was the norm before (branching paths, easter eggs, falling through corridors) nowadays is almost like a niche culture?

Nowadays mostly you fall through floor only if the cinematic epic narrative allows it.

DraQ

Arcane
I just remembered falling to lower level in Lands of Lore 1, and I think it's a more apt comparison, given that it's an RPG as well.

So how many years will it be?
:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom