Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
This game is shit. It's 1/10. I barely got onto the first planet before I said fuck this shit. At least with Inquisition I actually completed a handful of planets... err.... areas. That's a 4/10.
QED

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
What the fuck is this revisionism which I see going on here? No part of this game was ever any fucking good, stop larping. Initial sequence was a cringe inducing fuckfest designed to derail the story into PC becoming the new Pathfinder through a sequence of absolutely mindbogglingly idiotic incompetences on part of the characters, who are, let me remind you, supposed to be professionals engaged in a historic breakthrough of an undertaking (aside from Alec Ryder's children, who are in due to nepotism, lol), not a bunch of stumbling fools (SHARE THE FUCKING HELMET YOU TOOLS).

What is a "professional pathfinder for humanity in another galaxy"? Who the hell knows, effectively they're little more than the vanguard and muscle supposed to stick their neck out first before the rest follows. How do you do that "professionally"?

Anyway, the Ryder children aren't made pathfinders because of nepotism. It's because their father, who was an insufferable Mary Sue btw, linked his children with the ship AI — something absolutely 100% necessary for any vanguard to have. Not because he picked them over others, because they're genetically compatible with this hack he made for the AI he made (see: Mary Sue)

This massive butthurt over a damn good game is now and always has been the hallmark of the NPC. The game you should be whining about is DAI, this is good. DAI is all the shit that MEA is alleged to be but isn't.
Wait. You're simping for Andromeda now? A new low, even for you :lol:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wrote my detailed thoughts about the game ages ago when i finished it (and i'm too lazy now to find the post :-P), but in short i think the game has several issues writing-wise but it is also an attempt to make a more ME1-like game where the focus is on space exploration instead of human drama, which IMO is an improvement over ME2 and especially ME3.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I already this feeling about Dragon Age Inquisition , but Andromeda kinda makes clear to me.

Both games feel like they're BARELY being held together by force, everything feels close to fall apart and you notice when it break for a little second. All animation feel off and any slighty deviation from the script is quickly fixed in a bizarre and forced way.. Is a NPC not in the right place where their animation are supposed to play? They'll quickly run over to it their desgined place or worse, be Force pushed to their place. Is Ryder leg in some place that's 100% grounded? well here's awakard af animation. And how Ryder runs is so strange.. Like a puppet.. And all NPCs have the same animation when using the jet packs to jump up or down a structure.

Bioware is absolute god-awful animation wise. Well , that''s true for most Western RPG studios.. But they're especialy awful.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
I already this feeling about Dragon Age Inquisition , but Andromeda kinda makes clear to me.

Both games feel like they're BARELY being held together by force, everything feels close to fall apart and you notice when it break for a little second. All animation feel off and any slighty deviation from the script is quickly fixed in a bizarre and forced way.. Is a NPC not in the right place where their animation are supposed to play? They'll quickly run over to it their desgined place or worse, be Force pushed to their place. Is Ryder leg in some place that's 100% grounded? well here's awakard af animation. And how Ryder runs is so strange.. Like a puppet.. And all NPCs have the same animation when using the jet packs to jump up or down a structure.

Bioware is absolute god-awful animation wise. Well , that''s true for most Western RPG studios.. But they're especialy awful.
There's a night and day difference between DAI and MEA

But you're complaining about sporadic animation and object placement bugs in scripted scenes. Did you play Fallout New Vegas when it came out?

This is why discussing this game is pointless, because people immediately fall back on some dumb meme they saw on the internet and look for stupid gratification from other nerds who also remember that meme. You're not a serious person, you're merely regurgitating a meme.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
You're not a serious person, you're merely regurgitating a meme.
What you talking about lol Entire game is like that. It's not ''sporadic animation and object placement bugs'', entire time i'm playing there's NPCs running around , sliding across or walking in circle trying to reach their scripted positions. It's jarring as fuck.

It's not fucking meme or whatever, it's happens every time i load into Aya or the Tempest.

> Did you play Fallout New Vegas when it came out?

I literaly mentioned how all Western RPG devs have this same issue , it just happens that Andromeda is especialy guilty of this.

Rhobar121

Scholar
If the game itself is good (or at least enjoyable) people can forgive a lot. The moment the game becomes weak or boring, you start to see more and more problems: illogical plot, retarded animation, etc.
If the game was good in other respects, no one would remember the poor animations except for a few trolls.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
DA:I was better game than ME:A which was cringe as heck.
Meaningless drivel, but expected NPC regurgitation.

Objectively DAI sucks rocks. From plot, to structure, itemization, character development, gameplay, combat and world building, MEA curbstomps the dredge and abortion that is DAI.

What you talking about lol

That people like yourself who think in memes are not worth taking seriously or talking to.

Entire game is like that. It's not ''sporadic animation and object placement bugs'', entire time i'm playing there's NPCs running around , sliding across or walking in circle trying to reach their scripted positions. It's jarring as fuck.
Wrong. Who do I believe, you or my lying eyes?

See my reply above. Not worth wasting my time on morons like yourself.

I literaly mentioned how all Western RPG devs have this same issue , it just happens that Andromeda is especialy guilty of this.

FO:NV was crash prone, full of broken quests and stability issues galore on release and the following year. MEA had some janky animations and still has, but it's stable and bug free.

If animations are all you can talk about then perhaps you should look into playing interactive storybooks instead of RPGs. The animations in Ultima V were shit, but who the fuck cares, it's still one of the best RPG ever made. The animations in Deus Ex are atrocious, but it's still an awesome game. What the fuck are you talking about nigger?

9ted6

Educated
I was a die-hard Mass Effect fan back then. And I have never finished Derpomeda. That's how retarded and bad it is.
I loved Mass Effect 1 and 2 and Dragon Age Origins back in the day. Going back to them after how bad their sequels were years later made me realize they really weren't much better.

deuxhero

Arcane
I repeat my unpopular opinion that Jade Empire is the best Bioware game.
1: No RTWP combat
2: Actually interesting setting with some nice world building
3: Tried (but failed) to do morality that isn't just saint/laughing supervillain

Lambach

Arcane
3: Tried (but failed) to do morality that isn't just saint/laughing supervillain

They didn't even try, they just said they did. Closed Fist Path is just a regular violent psycho as always. Only one instance comes to mind where you can act in a way that fits what the in-game characters say Closed Fist is, but otherwise, BW just copy-pasted the retarded murderhobo "Dark Side" path from the first KotOR and slapped a different sticker on it.

Jade Empire might have the best writing, characters, and choices with characters of any BioWare game.

It’s just too bad the gameplay is fucking shit. And that game wants to hinge on gameplay even more than Mass Effect does. The melee combat in that game was shit, and the shmups sections were so bad that the developers actually lets you just skip them. There are few times a developer realizes a section of a game sucks so much that they allow the player to skip the gameplay.

I’m not really sure the setting makes much of any sense with what they were trying to do gameplay wise. The melee combat? OK. But the shmup sections?

Lambach

Arcane
I’m not really sure the setting makes much of any sense with what they were trying to do gameplay wise. The melee combat? OK. But the shmup sections?

The setting is fictional Imperial China with magic and shit, and those flying ships are described in-game as "part technology, part magic", so I don't think they're that out of place.

But yeah, the combat is too easy and too simplistic to be fun after the first couple of hours and there's so much of it, it's nuts. It's especially jarring when you get into a fight with someone hyped as a mega badass, but that someone has the exact same moveset as 300 random mooks you fought before, with bloated HP.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Thinking about what Open Palm and Closed fist should be, Path of Wuxia is much better on that one especially on Year 2 and early Year 3.

The setting is fictional Imperial China with magic and shit, and those flying ships are described in-game as "part technology, part magic", so I don't think they're that out of place.

But yeah, the combat is too easy and too simplistic to be fun after the first couple of hours and there's so much of it, it's nuts. It's especially jarring when you get into a fight with someone hyped as a mega badass, but that someone has the exact same moveset as 300 random mooks you fought before, with bloated HP.

Yeah, I get it’s a fantasy version of China, but the aircraft still don’t make any sense with the central idea of the setting being: Ancient China as if the myths and legends were true. If you’re coming at a game with the idea of “I want to do melee combat of some kind and aircraft shmup gameplay,” it’d probably be better to go with a different setting. Even something like a fantasy version of China in the late 19th century (which is when most of the movies they were inspired by [or at least I remember them citing in interviews before release] are set anyways) would’ve made more sense.

They could’ve also come up with a workaround. Like, it didn’t need to be planes. Could’ve been on some flying cloud like the Monkey King or whatever shooting flying monsters or something. Would’ve been walking on the ground too and still do the shmup gameplay, but they went with flying planes. I don’t know, just seems odd given everything they could’ve done, (and the things they were and were likely inspired by) and the direction they did go, that airplanes are what they ended up going with. It’d probably have made more sense if all the aircraft were fantasy flying ships as opposed to mostly all being airplanes.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I started this game a few years back, spent an hour trying to make a character as ugly as possible and it still looked better than any of the presets. Then I got 30 minutes in, didn't even get off the ship, before the cringe dialogue got too hard to handle and I quit.

However, I've played way too many good RPGs in a row and I'm craving to hateplay some shit popamole nu-RPG so I'll try again. If it's still too banal for me to get through, I have Cyberpunk on standby.

Nevermind I couldn't do it, Uninstalled

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom