Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Mesa - legendary vaporware Half-Life remake finally out

deuxhero

Arcane
One thing to note is that The Nameless Mod did come out after 7 years. Black Mesa has surpassed that recently.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
When I hadn't played the original Half-Life I remember debating whether or not to buy it during a Steam sale or wait for Black Mesa Source... eventually I just opted to get HL plus the two expansions for like $1.75 total.

Deleted member 7219

I used to be interested in this. Then I realised it would never be released. Let it go... let it go.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
When this 'update to modern standards' was started, Half-Life was a little bit over 6 years old. That was over 7 years ago. This mod is now significantly older than the game it strove to 'update' was when it was started.

Even if it gets released, the project's relevance at this point is somewhat questionable.

When this 'update to modern standards' was started, Half-Life was a little bit over 6 years old. That was over 7 years ago. This mod is now significantly older than the game it strove to 'update' was when it was started.

Even if it gets released, the project's relevance at this point is somewhat questionable.

I don't know, when I looked at the trailer, it looked pretty damn sweet. Not Crysis standards, but still, pretty nice... Nice enough to grant it a playthrough for sure... :smug:

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I bet Valve bought them out and plans to release BMS alongside HL3.

Remember this post, it'll happen!

Deleted member 7219

I wonder if it'll be using the latest Portal 2 Source engine. The Dear Esther remake used that and it is probably the best looking game I've ever played.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Black Mesa Source is going to challenge the Ryugyong Hotel for "longest project nobody gives a shit about anymore" timeline record.

Gord

Arcane
isblackmesareleased.com said:
GIVE US MEDIA!
no.
But...
no.
Plea-...
no.
Why?
This post sums it up pretty well. One screen shot is not enough, one video is not enough, if one piece of media is released, nothing will change, people will still want more, and the team are not taking time out to prepare an entire new media release.

DOHOHOHO. Looks trustworthy.

Interestingly you see this reaction quite often with such projects.
Team Gizka was the same...

Also the Deus Ex HDTP team behaves very similarly - although I'm still giving them the benefit of doubt, because the guy behind the awesome New Vision texture pack is still saying it is being worked on and will be released...eventually.

Really, I don't get what's so bad with releasing a short update with a few screens every once in a while (say every 1-3 months).
If your project is dead you should have the balls to admit it and if it's criticism you fear, well haters gonna hate anyway.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Interestingly you see this reaction quite often with such projects.
Team Gizka was the same...

I still find it funny that a pretty small team of guys got sick of that bullshit, started their own TSL restoration mod, released a playable version in roughly a year, and are apparently still updating it to make it bug free and compatible with other mods. All the while, Team Gizka (what remained of it) desperately pretended it didn't exist, until finally giving up and shutting down its site after the other mod had been around for a year, and was clearly going to be the dominant mod even if TSLRP was released.

Luzur

Good Sir
I wonder if it'll be using the latest Portal 2 Source engine. The Dear Esther remake used that and it is probably the best looking game I've ever played.

Derp Esther assets were done by professionals, and didn't have to deal with AI pathing routines etc. There is no difference between DE and a tech demo.

yeah well except for some seagulls.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Won't be the complete HL1 experience, only up to the Lambda Core.

But still, should be worth a look.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I never finished the original because Xen was so terrible.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Won't be the complete HL1 experience, only up to the Lambda Core.

But still, should be worth a look.
A xen-less half life is a better half life. First person and platforming never work well with each other.
I like thief platforming! Mirrors Edge is okey i guess! And how about Defrag runs in Quake 3? Dont Know if its fun, but its a feast to the eye!

Multi-headed Cow

Pff. Without xen you don't get the giant terrifying flying baby and g-man's ultimatum!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom