Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Of course it's not as good but the beginning is a big WTF moment and it gets better from the last arena combat.
It never reaches Blackguards 1 level but it's alright, it's far from awful, you're just overreacting because you wanted it to be as good or better than the first.

It's like people saying Fallout 2 is shit because Fallout 1 is their favorite game and of course, it is in competition with every other game including its direct sequel.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It never reaches Blackguards 1 level but it's alright, it's far from awful, you're just overreacting because you wanted it to be as good or better than the first.

Not even close, I explained my reasons clearly, B2 isn't just slightly worse but still good, it was actively trying to annoy the everliving fuck out of me with every single battle with all the fiddly, gimmicky bullshit and my patience simply ran out.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's like people saying Fallout 2 is shit because Fallout 1

Bullshit. You can debate the relative strengths of those two games, that's not my issue with BG2. My issue is that a vast majority of the actual encounters are either copy-pasted, wildly unimaginative and boring or both.

It's not "is it worse or better" it's "one game is a rough gem, the other is just a waste of time."

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Not even close, I explained my reasons clearly, B2 isn't just slightly worse but still good, it was actively trying to annoy the everliving fuck out of me with every single battle with all the fiddly, gimmicky bullshit and my patience simply ran out.

Fair enough, now i'll stop posturing as blackguards 2 advocate, i didn't particularly like it, just found it harmless, mediocre.
I liked the first one but didn't find it exceptional either, encounter design is good, everything else is average at best.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you eat at a diner because they have a great smash burger on an otherwise boring menu and they stop serving that great smash burger why would you come back to that diner

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I eat the best food i can but when i don't get anything i like, i make it work with whatever i have, same for RPG.
If i had the choice of replaying BlackG. 2, Kingmaker or Deadwater, i'd chose the former, put into perspective with the new era RPG, i think BlackG. 2 wasn't this bad.

Well, right now i'm playing Tactics Maiden Remaster.
It isn't a masterpiece but i like it better than those 3, i can tell you this.

Last edited:

Piotrovitz

Savant
I'm taking a break from Grimoire and decided to give this another try - I'm currently at the end of chapter 2

One thing that I have to admit they got it right is that the hard difficulty is indeed hard, even if you know what you're doing (buffs/debuffs, applying wounds asap etc) - had to tone it down for normal on some of the fights.

Does the game gets repetitive once you got mass buffs/debuffs, or is there still some challenge left?
Don't want to invest time in a playthrough that halfway gets stale and boils down to spamming same spells again and again.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm taking a break from Grimoire and decided to give this another try - I'm currently at the end of chapter 2

One thing that I have to admit they got it right is that the hard difficulty is indeed hard, even if you know what you're doing (buffs/debuffs, applying wounds asap etc) - had to tone it down for normal on some of the fights.

Does the game gets repetitive once you got mass buffs/debuffs, or is there still some challenge left?
Don't want to invest time in a playthrough that halfway gets stale and boils down to spamming same spells again and again.

The encounter design is good with some mission variety, the one thing they did wrong is the jrpg node exploration.
As far as I remember, the game is still challenging up until the end with a couple of bullshit missions with a shitload of reinforcements along the way.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:
I finally beat this today (I bought the game on release but it, along with almost every other single-player game I owned, fell victim to my fixation on Final Fantasy XI). I had a ton of fun and, if this game is true to TDE, I have a lot of respect for German RPG designers :D. The system is just so beautifully crunchy.

I don't have much new to add to everyone else's observations. Combat and encounter design was fantastic. The only thing I would have liked is a little more expansive use of gimmicks, but I never got bored. One thing I struggled with was how the game communicated what was going on to me; I can't tell you how many fights I reloaded simply because I made a mistake that I wouldn't have, if I knew what the fuck was going on. Many's the time I walked over/into gimmicks or traps that were visible but I didn't understand, or got blindsided by AOOs that I didn't think would be triggered etc.

Character development was satisfying for almost 100% of the game, very rare in my experience. It only fell off near the very very very end, and only for non-caster characters. Even in the Temple of the Nameless I was sweating what spells would get APs.

Itemization was also really good for the most part. I particularly enjoyed the massive difference between most of the "end-game" weapons in each category as opposed to their early- and mid-game counterparts. Getting the Andergaster, Pailos, Honorhall's Scepter and Bloodletter felt amazing. I liked that all of the two handers are balanced by having penalties; it's nice to feel like using sword and board, dual wielding and two handed come with real trade-offs. I've also never played a game where I used consumables as much as this one; I loved sniping the shit out of enemies as they closed in with whatever poisons I had to hand. My only real complaint is with armor, I would have appreciated one or two more sets, especially non-metallic (but one more metallic set would've been nice too).

I didn't particularly care that there was no exploration to speak of. Note that I would have cared a lot if there was exploration that was done badly; kudos to Daedalic for focusing their scope and doing really well at what they gave us. However I would have appreciated a strategic layer to the world map, with a fleshed-out camping and travelling system. It would have made provisions feel like something other than cheap megalixirs, for one thing :D.

Lastly, a special shout out to the final Arena fight for being the single most annoying, shitty, retarded encounter in any RPG ever. What the fuck. I don't know who at Daedalic thought it was a good idea to make a fight that consisted solely of whacking away at endless overgrown louses, but whoever it was, they should be dragged into the street by their hair and shot in the public square as a warning to other such degenerates. Even after I figured out exactly the mechanics of the encounter, it was still a boring, maddening, slow-as-molasses grind. I came very close to just quitting the game over it, non-required fight and all; I hated it that much.

In the end I'm glad I stuck with it though. This game was definitely free time well spent.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played it for a bit during the Beta, and I'm looking forward to doing a full run. But by the time it was released I was focused on going through my Steam backlog, so I haven't gotten back into it yet. But yes, I thoroughly enjoyed what little combat I saw there too.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is so good, feels like a modern TOEE, Blackguards, etc. Huge amount of storyfaggotry and stuff to get around though, even with SpeedHack it's a pain, but worth it.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok, on the strength of these recent posts I have picked up the DLC for 50 cents and will give Blackguards a second chance. If this doesn't work out, know that you are all at fault.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Blackguards is great, Blackguards 2 is a steaming pile of shit. The combat, story, everything is a major downgrade from the first

Blackguards 2 is a step below Blackguards in everything except combat, the only thing that really matters in blaggards.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
This game took me in and hasn't let go even after 30 hours. Won it in a raffle here. Long has it eluded me, indeed!

Btw, having no dedicated archer like Niam of late, I've taught both of my mages Bow skills to a reasonable degree in chapter 3. True, I've sacrificed the +2 +3 Astral Points regen from the items, but then again, 2 times 5-12 dmg from a bow when the casters are out of mana with an occasional crit or wound from the skill-shot is definitely something to think about too.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Sadly we will now never see a Blackguards 3 or a sequel for Memoria, since Daedalic is dead as a developer studio.
They were the last studio capable of making decent Dark Eye games.

Gollum proved that this company lost something during their way...
Yeah, their precious

And they also ended in hell. Isn't poetic? Life imitate art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom