Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blair Witch series

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apparently not a single thread on 'dex about it?!

iu

Anyway, I played the first one when it was added to CD-Action magazine in Poland, so probably around 2002-2004. I remember being positively surprised as it was one of the best horror games I've ever played. The forest was quite scary. I think I might have trouble remembering the story as my English back in my teenage years was quite inferior and I might not have understood it entirely. The dark forest was genuinely the most scary location I remember in games to this day, even more than Silent Hill's ones, though overall SH games were better in general. Mostly because it not only looked scary, but it changed paths to make you lose directions, which was quite an ingenuine idea that added a lot to the atmosphere. Other locations, like burned house or even the town were pretty good as well. That said, it was a long time ago, my memory is selective and as a young lad I might have been easier to impress.

I'm going to replay it. Seems like it's not on Steam nor GOG, but it's available on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/Blair_Witch_Volume_I_Rustin_Parr_USA

I've never tried Volume 2 or 3. Are they worth trying? I heard they were inferior, but how much?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Rustin Parr is p. good, although the last time I played it was probably around the time you did. The coolest thing about it however is that it's essentially an indirect sequel to Nocturne.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Oh shit, I remember seeing these games all the time at the local pc store as a kid and I would peer curiously at the details on the boxes but no one would ever let me buy them. Fascists.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Downloaded the game from archive.org. Surprisingly, just runs with no fiddling needed, albeit max resolution is 640x480, looks a bit crap on 24" 16:10, but I'll look for solutions later.

Also, the archive.org has 'disk1' and 'disk2' but after I clicked to install from disk1 the game was installed. Unpacking disk2 appears to have the same content as the first one? Are these two different versions of the game? huh

The coolest thing about it however is that it's essentially an indirect sequel to Nocturne.
Well.. is it the same game? Another? Did they make a new game but forgot to even change file names?

nocturne.jpg

Konjad

Patron
The game is broken on modern OS. It's impossible to complete the training, and also there are multiple issues there.

Whenever you pull a lever next to a door it does not open *these* door but rather a random door on the level. That is certainly not as it was intended. So you have to pull the lever enough times until the door you want opens.

But the cutscene that is supposed to happen at the end of training never triggers for me. I tried to repeat last steps multiple times but to no avail.

Looks like this is the second game that requires me to install on an old OS after Gorasul. I guess I will gather a few more games like that and I will transfer myself back to times of Windows 98 and complete a few games in a sequence.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Recently cdromance uploaded these games already patched to run on modern PCs (I didn't try them).

VerSacrum

Educated
Yeah played the first and the third back in the day (local game shop didn't have the second for some reason) - better than the films.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BW 1 > BW 3 > BW 2

Here is me copy pasting my older remarks from screenshot thread.

Blair Witch Volume 1: Rustin Parr

I've closed again my first case of Blair Witch trilogy, and it still hold up well. What is really interesting, is how Terminal Reality combined their Nocturne universe with BW mythos. We have our old friends from Spookhouse agency, but we don't control Stranger like before. Instead we play as a research scientist Elspeth "Doc" Holliday. This time instead of werewolves, vampires, zombies and other monstrosities we fight with something different. Here is where the connection with the original BW movie starts, but in the year 1941. I've never liked it, but here everything just clicks together. The survival horror with adventure elements with great atmosphere build up thanks to camera angles and light/shadow usage is superb. The story slowly develops, as we are building up the case. The sense of dread and isolation, being subjugated by it, it never makes cheap jokes and keeps you focused. Well, apart from a little nod to Twin Peaks series. Also soundtrack made by Kyle Richards helps being immersed in the game world. I heard that later parts aren't that good, but I've decided to finish all of them.

There is only one problem regarding running it on modern systems. The map screen is only available to view in lower resolution. While the main game can have way higher one, it can result in showing a gibberish on the screen that will make it unplayable. The only quick fix I have found is to alt+tab and return to the game. Or just play in lower resolution to match the one that is used on the map. Probably dgvodoo fixes that, but it was too late for me to test it. I write this, because at first venturing through the woods can be really confusing and make it harder, than it really is.

Blair Witch Volume 2: The Legend of Coffin Rock

It was first game released by Human Head Studios, which was formed by ex-Raven people. And unfortunately it has many problems, that can't be fixed and left me disappointed after the great predecessor. Volume 2 tells the tale of eight-year-old Robin Weaver, who goes missing in the woods near Burkittsville, and the five men in the search party sent to find her, who are found roped up and disemboweled at the titular Coffin Rock. We are a Civil War soldier, who finds Robin before that even. As we don't remember anything being wounded, we are named Lazarus by the grandmother of Robin. She tells us to find the kid, as she feels something bad in the woods.

So we are in the past again, but even further. This is a good beginning for an interesting story. Which is chopped into pieces, where we watch cutscenes and for the most of the time fight against soldiers and unnatural creatures. The puzzles are almost non existent and we are just being moved from scene to scene, while we try to gather what's happening through the cutscenes (which are sometimes too long). We also have more ammo to find through the whole game, which makes it easy for us. The rustic feeling of interiors is really good, since the Nocturne engine works well to make them believable and atmospheric. The music is still great, and there are some interesting lore fragments for those who care.

It's an ok game, but due to the cutscenes/battles system of narration, and how short it is, it feels like a huge letdown.
Time to close the last chapter of Blair Witch book and see The Elly Kedward Tale.

Sometimes you can have problems regarding sound. Some of them will be missing, or/and you will not hear the dialogues. You need to do this thing:

1. Go to Sound options menu.
  2. Change the Hardware mixing setting, then change it back to the original setting.

Blair Witch Volume III: The Elly Kedward Tale

Unlike the first two games, which used some of the BW lore, with the final chapter made by Ritual we are getting something entirely new when it comes to story. We are witnessing the creation of Blair Witch legend, as we play Jonathan Prye, a former priest who is visiting Blair Township. Which later on became Burkittsville. Prye had a crisis of faith, and decided to become a witch hunter. We are investigating the disappearance of Elly Kedward a couple weeks ago before our arrival.

It was a good move to try and create an origin of the Blair myth, and wrap everything in an elegant way. There are some crumbs of it in previous titles, but here we are on unknown land. The feeling of dread and that something is not right in the town never leaves us. We talk to some folks, including wise Indian Asgaya. Just as in Rustin Parr, the myths and folklore elements of the natives is being used as a good adhesive, and make the journey even more interesting. Our hero is fighting with the powers, that are hard to comprehend. His struggle regarding the faith is accented more than once, and works good enough for me observing his spiritual journey.

One of his weapons is a burning crucifix that should be used on stronger enemies. The combat is fluid, and while we don't have many weapons, it's sufficient with encounters being less frequent than in Coffin Rock. We also again venture through the woods, so using map at first is obligatory if you want to make it short and save ammo by just simply running. Creatures here will appear constantly, so I advise to just run and use weapons if you really need to. Audiovisually it's still the same engine as before, with good voice acting and music. No complaints here. As usual the Ritual's bard Zak Belica made some tracks, which are fitting for the corresponding stages.

I think "The Elly Kedward Tale" concludes really well the Blair Witch story, even if you aren't a fan of the movie. It's the interpretation that doesn't change something drastically, but adds something and leaves you satisfied after seeing ending credits.

Harthwain

Magister
Apparently not a single thread on 'dex about it?!
Well, it is not na RPG, even by the modern, very relaxed, standards.

Blair Witch Project is a curious one, because it is the kind of game that gets more appreciated when it is outside of its time. Graphics is criticized less when the game itself is old, too, meaning you focus more on other things. And the game manages to be very atmospheric, despite its drawbacks (ugh, the tank controls! My one true weakness! That and the fixed switching camera angles mid-combat...). Honestly, I was sad we didn't get more of the Spookhouse, I really enjoyed that part of the game, instead you are mostly stuck in a small town in the woods. On the other hand, it does help build up that feeling of being alone and it does make sense for an agent getting a field assignment to be out there.

All in all it's a decent game and a must-play for the fans of the genre.

Last edited:

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I wonder if I can figure out how to install this on Linux without getting violently angry

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Update: I got this running on Linux and only got moderately angry so no one was killed or maimed. Soon I'll finally be able to see what the dickheads at DC Computers were keeping from me all those years ago.

Ash

Arcane
The movie is the very definition of early decline, so I can't even bring myself to look into the games.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Also played it, because it was in CD-Action. The atmosphere of this game was something out of this word. That western gothic aesthetics, that "dream" part, that "lost in the woods" part when map just went "???", those prerendered graphics, shadows, spooky/liminal-space'y/weirdcore atmosphere.
As a 12 y.o. kid I was scared and weirdly drawn so much to this game - and it have made big imprint on me to this day.
Truly one of the hidden gems.

Konjad

Patron
Finished it (again) and it's a very good game, albeit quite short. The atmosphere is superb, the adventure part (finding whom to talk to what to collect etc.) is made in a smart non-annoying way, I never felt "what am I supposed to do now" like in many other adventure games, and the only criticism I do have is that combat is too easy. I did play on normal-normal though, maybe it's better on higher difficulties. It is quite scary at times (assuming you play with headphones and have a proper dark & lonely atmosphere for it, hence it took me to finish so long despite it being short, I just played late in the evening when waifu was asleep). One of the few horror games that ever actually made me feeling scared (all the other ones are a part of Silent Hill series). It was fun getting lost in the forest again with creatures hunting me down and an uneasy sounds in the background. It is also probably the only ghost story I didn't cringe or feel stupidified about. I certainly recommend it - for the atmosphere especially. The weakest part of the game was probably the beginning (the nightmare where you shoot townsfolk) and the day 3's backtracking (go back and forth between points), but the rest of the game was quality time. I wish it was longer!

1.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Just to be clear, it's way above the recent "Blair Witch" remake(?) game or the movies, which all are utter garbage.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The carved up deadite in the pic reminds me of one thing that this game does very well. It leaves a lot to the player's imagination and interpretation. There are no massive expositions or lore dumps about most of the secondary events, mysteries and munsters present in the game, they are usually only alluded to in the collection of Indian legends and such, if even that.

Konjad

Patron
The carved up deadite in the pic reminds me of one thing that this game does very well. It leaves a lot to the player's imagination and interpretation. There are no massive expositions or lore dumps about most of the secondary events, mysteries and munsters present in the game, they are usually only alluded to in the collection of Indian legends and such, if even that.
Indeed. It's bewildering how often horror writers do not comprehend that:
1) scare jumps are not creating fear, it's the anticipation that builds the insecurity
2) unknown is more frightening and cringe lore dumps and tl;dr explanations are taking the mystery away

This game has few scare jumps and - as you've written - does not explain everything. Few games (and not just games) get it right like this game.

I really wish it was longer though, I completed it only in a few hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom