Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 2 is a MASSIVE potato

kazgar

Arcane
Also the game comes complete with Day 0 DLC as seen in the Premiere Club: "receive a free download of the all-new Mechromancer character class as soon as she's available. Best to wait for the 75% off GOTY version, methinks.

That collectors edition has a decent amount of stuff.

day one dlc is still shithouse. Though according to that site, only the US gets the character class? wonder if other regions are getting it built in, or just not getting it at all? Wonder if its on disc.

Did anyone end up paying full price for Borderlands 1? goty at deep discount is totally the way to go.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I... sort of did. I was quitting WoW so I traded my buddy 40,000 in-game gold for it. Does that count?

Nomask Alt

Arbiter
The loot system of Borderlands has worked just fine for me so far (I'm lvl 19 now). When my character was something like lvl 7, I bought a superb combat rifle from one of those timed sales, a weapon that I used until my character was about lvl 14. I'd call it a big upgrade. I guess I got lucky.

The actual variety of the weapons I have found useful has been surprisingly great too. One combat rifle has only 6 rounds in a clip but huge damage and relatively fast reload, and shoots almost like a sniper rifle but with bad accuracy so you won't hit well from far away. Another shoots quick burtsts of three rounds with very good recoil reduction and accuracy, has 12 rounds in a clip and reloads super fast, has moderate damage (this is the one I used for a long time). Another has fifty rounds in a clip but reloads very slowly, shoots a somewhat fast burst and has high damage. Etc.

Unrelated but it's also fun that the game encourages you to use only one weapon type by continually awarding improved proficiency based on how much you use a certain weapon type.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with Borderlands loot system is that there is too mach randomization on the item stats. I played the game few times with my friends and every single time to all of us would experience that we would get a decent weapon and continue to use it for the next 20 levels. When the loot system is well balanced you would completely change your equipment every 10 levels tops, in Borderlands you can get to lvl 60 and only change your stuff three times in course of the game.

While I disliked single player part of Borderlands I had loads of fun in multiplayer, so to me and my friends this will probably be day 1 purchase.

The problem with Borderlands loot system is that there is too mach randomization on the item stats. I played the game few times with my friends and every single time to all of us would experience that we would get a decent weapon and continue to use it for the next 20 levels. When the loot system is well balanced you would completely change your equipment every 10 levels tops, in Borderlands you can get to lvl 60 and only change your stuff three times in course of the game.

While I disliked single player part of Borderlands I had loads of fun in multiplayer, so to me and my friends this will probably be day 1 purchase.

That's the mark of a good loot system, where you can find a drop that lasts a long time (see: Diablo 1). The problem is that it still held on to Diablo 2's "100 items each time you use an AoE" rate of item drops. Since the items were so random that a the weakest colored item from the lowest level grunt could still be the best shit ever, you had to look over and compare Every. God. Damned. Item., because your next great weapon was more likely to be the white that nameless raider #5385 dropped rather than the boss's unique drop.

Scaling the drop rate back by a factor of ten and more tightly constraining the item quality to the color would remove the biggest item-related Borderlands headaches.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That's the mark of a good loot system, where you can find a drop that lasts a long time (see: Diablo 1). The problem is that it still held on to Diablo 2's "100 items each time you use an AoE" rate of item drops. Since the items were so random that a the weakest colored item from the lowest level grunt could still be the best shit ever, you had to look over and compare Every. God. Damned. Item. Scaling the drop rate back by a factor of ten and more tightly constraining the item quality to the color would remove the biggest item-related Borderlands headaches.

When I have uncommon green lvl 20 gun its disappointing to find its superior to lvl 40 purple rare gun. It would be great that low level rare and unique items are better or as good as high level uncommon equipment, but when its vice versa its a mark of bad loot system.

That would be part of constraining item quality more closely to the color. Borderlands just had a ridiculous range of power because powerful mods weren't weighted well and getting all of the right ones on a drop meant your weapon effectiveness tripled.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
God this game looks stupid. I hope Gearbox dies a horrible death at some point. They declined so hard after the excellent Half Life Opposing Force expansion.

And Borderlands was so bland and boring, I don't even know where to start. At least A:CM *could* have some potential, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is another hand-me-down job where some fucking chick via radio tells you every 3 steps what to do next.

"Yo Marine, move forward, and be alert...I got some strange signals on my scanner. Out".

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
That would be part of constraining item quality more closely to the color. Borderlands just had a ridiculous range of power because powerful mods weren't weighted well and getting all of the right ones on a drop meant your weapon effectiveness tripled.

Pretty much the whole point of playing h&s games is gear progression and when loot system is broken its not a good thing. When you kill a boss its not its death animation that gives you sense of accomplishment but those gold and purple items you get to replace your equipment, You mentioned Diablo as an example, as I recall the unique items in that game were far better then anything near their level. Imagine playing Diablo or any game where killing a low level mob gives you cheap weapon that is more useful then twenty levels higher unique item dropped by a boss. How is that a good loot system?

WalmartJesus

Learned
God this game looks stupid. I hope Gearbox dies a horrible death at some point. They declined so hard after the excellent Half Life Opposing Force expansion.

And Borderlands was so bland and boring, I don't even know where to start. At least A:CM *could* have some potential, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is another hand-me-down job where some fucking chick via radio tells you every 3 steps what to do next.

"Yo Marine, move forward, and be alert...I got some strange signals on my scanner. Out".

Colonial Marines will be shit.

From videos,it looks like someone made an Aliens mod for Call of Duty 4.

I would've rather seen a Survival Horror based Aliens game that was set during Hadley's Hope/LV-426 when the Xenomorphs invaded and you played as a surviving colonist trying to escape.

WalmartJesus

Learned
What is it with American game developers and their obsession with (Space) Marines?

Because Space Marines stand for freedom and protect the Galaxy from evil Alien scum...

Much like how the Actual US Military protects America from you evil foreigner scum who are obviously jealous of all of our freedom aka Trailerparks,Walmarts and McDonalds.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's really bad when I joined a game that is 3-4 levels above me and all I could do was the odd 2-5 dmg per shot, regardless of locational hit.
I know it's a Hellgate-like game, but I sure as hell didn't enjoy the experience much. Even the $10 GOTY didn't feel all that of a bargain after 5-6 hours in unlocking the crappy car side game.
Not giving the sequel a second chance.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm guessing one skill per class and retarded level scaling is still in, so I'm out.
I haven't noticed lvl scaling in Borderlands. Are we talking about the same game?

There is level scaling but the enemy level is capped depending on the zone. If you beat Cthulhu on Playthrough 2, thus unlocking the fan-named Playthrough 2.5, enemies everywhere will be scaled around your level.

Nomask Alt

Arbiter
I'm guessing one skill per class and retarded level scaling is still in, so I'm out.
I haven't noticed lvl scaling in Borderlands. Are we talking about the same game?

There is level scaling but the enemy level is capped depending on the zone. If you beat Cthulhu on Playthrough 2, thus unlocking the fan-named Playthrough 2.5, enemies everywhere will be scaled around your level.

I don't think that quite covers it. Missions aren't lvl scaled, and the toughest enemies in a mission seem to be of the same lvl as the mission.

When you're lvl 18 and there's a lvl 18 mission, many enemies in that mission are lvl 16 and stay that way. If you go lvl up and come back, those enemies will have stayed lvl 16 and the toughest ones lvl 18 so it will be that much easier for you. But you can also find missions that are lvl 20 or even 23 when you're only lvl 18, and those won't be scaled down if you accept them.

You can also find items that are ten levels above you or below you. The same way you can find monsters that are above or below your level, and in fact that happens constantly everywhere in the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That is correct. The only level scaling occurs on the '2.5' playthrough. In the vanilla campaign, at least, everything has a predetermined level. It's actually pretty easy to outlevel most of the content by doing a lot of side quests which ends up making the game fairly dull.

Yeah, I'm not sure of a well-known term to refer to the scaling by. Its not Oblivion level scaling, its the "you do 0 damage to an enemy 5 levels above you and they become 100% accurate with 10x damage bullets" scaling. That was just pure bullshit.

A friend that is 2 levels ahead of you is something like 3x as powerful and durable. Doesn't lend itself well to coop, which is supposed to be the point of the game. It also makes equipment feel meaningless when you realize that 95% of the damage equation is about your level stat. Finding a really good gun doesn't let you skip into higher level areas and tackle much more difficult encounters, it bumps your damage output from lvl 20 to lvl 20.5.

Nomask Alt

Arbiter
Yeah, I'm not sure of a well-known term to refer to the scaling by. Its not Oblivion level scaling, its the "you do 0 damage to an enemy 5 levels above you and they become 100% accurate with 10x damage bullets" scaling. That was just pure bullshit.

A friend that is 2 levels ahead of you is something like 3x as powerful and durable. Doesn't lend itself well to coop, which is supposed to be the point of the game. It also makes equipment feel meaningless when you realize that 95% of the damage equation is about your level stat. Finding a really good gun doesn't let you skip into higher level areas and tackle much more difficult encounters, it bumps your damage output from lvl 20 to lvl 20.5.
Too true. The game certainly has its flaws, and that's one of them. The missions labeled "hard" aren't hard, they're impossible.

Multi-headed Cow

Some late game Borderlands stuff previewed. Sounds like playthrough 2 is going to have more to it than phatter lewtz and bigger HP, which could be a good thing. Mentions new enemies, increased armor/shields on old enemies, improved AI, etc. Also mentions the "Badass" system which is apparently a "Profile wide" leveling system which applies bonuses to all your characters, new and old. Since I played some Borderlands 1 co-op using the same Steam account on two of my computers over LAN I'm not sure how it'll handle that. Since it's Steamworks it could be an issue, Valve games generally can be played with the same account over LAN but who knows if Gearbox will lock that down.
Whatever the case, looking forward to it. Hoping it actually is a decent improvement on the first.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...erlands-2-boss-so-tough-its-nearly-invincible

And then unrelated to anything, CHECK OUT THESE GUNZERKER SKINS!
1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

Multi-headed Cow

Roughly an hour of gameplay with the Gearbox guy yammering. Looks good, though I didn't watch the whole thing non-stop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom