Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Branching/Parallel storylines

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Since I’ve a boring day at work, I might as well do a bit of wall of text’ing.

As a part of my sekkrit eternity project, I’ve been having a look at different ways to handle branching storylines and parallel storylines. The key question that comes to my mind is that how to make further replays of the game worthwhile, i.e. to ensure that there is no incessant repetition and the player is able to immerse themselves despite the fact that they’ve already accumulated prior knowledge on the happenings of the game through previous playthrough(s).

Inspired by the Sengoku Rance LP, I’ll use examples from Japanese visual novels to illustrate the dilemma.

The thing that quite often puts me off when it comes to successive play troughs is that I am no longer able to relate to the characters in the same way since I’ve already cleared the game once. A good example comes from Tokimeki Check-in!, a hentai dating game by Crowd. There is one minor character that throughout the game displays his positive side and is shown to be a kind and a caring person. However, there is a single bad ending that reveals that he is actually a sadistic rapist. So after reaching that bad ending, I no longer was able to regard him in the same manner throughout the successive play troughs. And the fact that in other branches of the story he is displayed in entirely different manner is very irking – especially since we’re talking about a visual novel where the player cannot influence the storyline that much.

Fate/Stay Night by Type Moon is one of the most ambitious approaches when it comes to branching storylines. Not because it has so many of them (there are three alternative major story branches) – but due to the way they handle the dilemma of the gap between what the player knows and what the character the player plays knows.

The story branches in Fate/Stay Night are meant to be played in linear order, successively. This limits the player’s ability to influence the storyline to a degree, especially since the first storyline only has one possible ending (and tons of “bad endings” that you can run into). Since the first play through takes about 15-20 hours, completing the second unlocked storyline seemed like a massive chore to me. The story had reached a conclusive, albeit bitter-sweet, ending on the first play trough and many loose ends were wrapped conclusively. On the other hand, even if the main characters of the storyline were dealt thoroughly, some of the other characters and their fates were left as mysteries.

So motivated to at least discover those few blanks, I took another try at the second branch of the story. I was a bit worried on my motivation level, since a good 5 hours of the first play trough were spent on building up the foundation of the story and dealing with the doubts of the player character. To my surprise the second play trough took quite radical turn.
Firstly, many of the minor characters that were eliminated from the story early on actually took more prominent role in the second play trough. The events familiar from the first play trough still occurred early on, but ended in different outcome. And to make things even weirder, the main villain of the first play trough was eliminated like an afterthought.

Secondly, the player character himself changed. On the first play through the character was more insecure and undetermined. On the second play trough he has more confidence and more inherit knowledge, as to reflect the fact that the player too knows more about the storyline.

In my opinion Fate/Stay Night succeeds in creating a superb replayability value through those design choices. The successive play troughs of the same core storyline take notice of the fact that the player has prior knowledge and actually use it to mislead the player on successive play troughs. The player has certain expectations towards the upcoming events, but the outcome can be radically different on the second play trough. And the designers of the storyline have taken to account the fact the player will have already developed certain level of attachment towards the main characters from the first play trough and take advantage of this fact (the successive play troughs involve more cruelty directed towards the main heroines, as example).

Sengoku Rance takes another approach to branching storyline. Since the branches are essentially smaller sub-stories, the player has greater freedom. Like in Fate/Stay Night, the replayability comes from the fact that certain characters will be eliminated in the course of the game and that there is limited amount of time so you won’t be able to “clear” all the characters.

Rance’s approach limits the amount that the individual sub-plots can be integrated in the central storyline (though some overlapping exists) but the sheer multitude of choices makes up for this. On other hand Fate/Stay Night manages to create coherent story from the three different branches, while keeping the redundancy to minimum. Sengoku Rance’s approach gives the player greater choice, while Fate/Stay Night creates stronger overall story (since all the elements support each other).

A common approach with multiple storylines that I’ve seen is the concept of unlocking “true endings”. Probably the most notorious example of this is dating game Clannad After Story. There is quite a major dramatic turn of events in the game. By completing all the side-stories in the storyline, the player can unlock a “true ending” where this major event is rewritten on a more positive note. While the true ending provides much more satisfying way to end the game, it also diminishes the game experience. The alternative reality where the most of the game was set in loses its value.

The PS2 version of Fate/Stay Night also has additional “final ending” that can be unlocked by completing all the five different endings of the game. What Fate/Stay Night does different, is the fact that it doesn’t rewrite the events of the other storylines. The bittersweet, “no happily ever after” ending of the first play trough remains, but the player is instead shown a glimpse on what might come after. The game doesn’t take the easy way out by removing the drama of the ending, but rather expands the story to show what might lie at the end of the life of the player character.

So in conclusion, what would I like to take from the different ways that parallel/branching storylines have been handled in the examples I gave?

- The central storyline approach of Fate/Stay Night
- Multiple perspectives to the central storyline as main branches of the story
- The extent of player choice of Rance (i.e. making the storylines playable in any order)
- The practice of making sure that accumulating player knowledge does not disrupt the way that he/she sees certain characters on successive play troughs (no common main antagonist that is revealed at the end of the story)
- Handling overlapping events in the storylines in a way that still surprises the player and takes to account his accumulating knowledge from previous play troughs
- Providing some incentive to finish the alternative branches of the story, whilst not rewriting the previous events to achieve a happy ending.

So what about you guys, how do you see branching/parallel storylines. Do you have examples of other games that handle the gap of what is known to player and what is known to player character well?

P.S. Rance’s storyline is quite epic by now: http://www.mediafire.com/?ud4m2u2ytih

soggie

Educated
You hentai pervert. :incline:

You're basically talking about narrative vs. non-linearity, and your main concern is on subsequent playthroughs, where there is a chance where players would metagame instead (heading to san fran to get the power armor in FO2), which is more pervalent in non-linear narratives.

What I believe would reward subsequent playthroughs are mutually exclusive branching storylines that do not fall into the good vs evil branch mold.

For example, in my design's beginning stages, you play as a slave trying to escape the city. There are basically 3 ways to play through it:

- fight and win in the arena and get bought, leading to another 4 forks (sleep with your master and assassinate him; sleep with your master and earn your freedom; work in the fields and befriend another slave who will engineer your escape; or work in the fields and seek your own escape route)
- go through the sewers (which forks into two branches: help the flakies or sneak around the hostile patrols)
- escape with the slaves, leading to 3 forks (lead the anarchic group; lead the rowdy group; or lead the timid group)

As you can see, I am going for width instead of depth (which I know women secretly enjoy) when it comes to storytelling and narrative format. Yes, the main quest can probably be completed in less than 10 hours, but the subsequent playthrough will yield a completely different experience just by following a different branch.

Boddler

Educated
"Many-worlds" is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that asserts the objective reality of the wavefunction, but denies the reality of wavefunction collapse, which implies that all possible futures and alternative histories are real —each representing an actual "world" (or "universe").

laclongquan

Arcane
Haba said:
- The central storyline approach of Fate/Stay Night
- Multiple perspectives to the central storyline as main branches of the story
- The extent of player choice of Rance (i.e. making the storylines playable in any order)
- The practice of making sure that accumulating player knowledge does not disrupt the way that he/she sees certain characters on successive play troughs (no common main antagonist that is revealed at the end of the story)
- Handling overlapping events in the storylines in a way that still surprises the player and takes to account his accumulating knowledge from previous play troughs
- Providing some incentive to finish the alternative branches of the story, whilst not rewriting the previous events to achieve a happy ending.

The damn problem is that it's hard to maintain balance and all too easy to ruin it. It's not for nothing that interactive hentai novels exist for years but only TypeMoon's works, namely the Tsukihime and FateStayNight, are gaining the most revered status among gamers. I mean, they are being praised not just because of the art, but also the balance within stories.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
laclongquan said:
The damn problem is that it's hard to maintain balance and all too easy to ruin it. It's not for nothing that interactive hentai novels exist for years but only TypeMoon's works, namely the Tsukihime and FateStayNight, are gaining the most revered status among gamers. I mean, they are being praised not just because of the art, but also the balance within stories.

Indeed. On my second play through I had put a good 30-40 hours into Fate/SN - and the third story branch is another 20 hours more. Yet, excluding the (skip-able) introduction, there was barely any repetition. I'd say that is quite an achievement. That's the main reason why Fate/SN intrigues me so greatly, and the one feat I'd myself love to be able to reproduce.

Fate/SN’s approach to slightly “maturing” the player character between play troughs is one way to accomplish this goal of keeping repetition to minimum, but I’m myself steering towards having multiple player characters (to accommodate the RPG aspects a bit better). So, let’s say three individual storylines that overlap to some extent and create the “whole picture” of the main story.

I’m a bit torn in between having successive play troughs unlock new dialogue options, provide new inner dialogue (i.e. the player character having “insights” that he won’t have unless you’ve played through the overlapping storyline already or simply leaving it up to the player to notice the “big picture”. I’d like to keep it as unobtrusive as possible, but it seems that many people miss those small details unless they are highlighted somehow.

As what comes to “depth” vs. “width”, for this project I’m clearly aiming for deeper story. Fewer choices, but more impactful consequences (i.e. an early choice changing the entire storyline and possibly the ending as well). Mainly because it is easier to keep the package together with fewer triggers. I think it goes well with pre-created characters, too. Since you’re not inventing the entire personality for your character, Fallout –like depth wouldn’t work that well.

soggie said:
You're basically talking about narrative vs. non-linearity, and your main concern is on subsequent playthroughs, where there is a chance where players would metagame instead (heading to san fran to get the power armor in FO2), which is more pervalent in non-linear narratives.
What I believe would reward subsequent playthroughs are mutually exclusive branching storylines that do not fall into the good vs evil branch mold.

My ideal is to build a “complete product” from the alternate story branches. Meaning that once the player completes the final play through, the book is closed. The branches are the means for arriving to an end – there are multiple ways to go through them, but no “right” or “wrong” choices. Even if you make mistakes, there is no need to replay individual storyline to reach a better outcome. I want to make the player live with the choices he made instead of constantly saving/reloading and trying to reach the best end result.

The main story is linear (i.e. the choices of one man don’t change the entire world). The story branches are linear to the extent that you will always arrive at the overlapping portions and the ending, but the way that you do can be radically different. And the greatest degree of freedom is allowed at the ending. So in that sense the story branches are narrow but deep and the ending is wide, carrying over the consequences from each individual story branch. There are many ways to resolve the crisis at the end of the game, the outcome ultimately depends on how well the player himself has been paying attention on the story and how he rationalizes the choices he made throughout it.

Needless to say, managing the ending is the single most difficult part of the entire project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom