Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Breaking news! Max Payne 3 looks like shit!

MetalCraze

Arcane

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Poor Max. Your first game is still the best third person shooter ever and then this is done to you.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
maxpayne.png

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I once saw the Max Payne movie.

True story.

I had some money and had bought the annual pass for the cinema here, and there was nothing else.

The movie was filled with dweebs, that got out of their seats in a flit of nerdrage and despondency at the end.

(the movie was utter shit as expected)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
trym88 said:
But he's right, this game looks utterly uber-megashit

Yeah, but like the guys above said, the previous games didn't exactly create any standards to uphold.

If you weren't a newfag like "guys above" playing games for 3 years tops you'd know that Max Payne was a graphical breakthrough at the time just like Crysis was in 2007

Not really. I remember laughing with my cousin over how lulsy it looked at times, specially Max "texture-for-a-face" Payne's character model. I think I even had a few magazines joking about his perma-constipated look. Didn't keep it from being an awesome game, obviously, so no need to get all butthurt over me posting that pic.

Then again, I registered in 2009 so that must mean I started playing games in 2009, rite

MetalCraze

Arcane
Don't try to weasel out.

At the time no game could offer such photorealistic textures or enemy model variety. Game even kept track of hundreds of shell casings lying around which added to Woo'ish feel - something still not present in next-gen. And models also had separate fingers on their hands which was quite a big deal at the time among other things.

People were buying new videocards and more RAM so they could run this game in 32 bit colour mode which made a world of difference while the rest had to suffer through low framerates with their crappy Riva TNTs.

Only UT2003 really pushed off MP from its Top 1 Graphics Whore's Delight spot in the end of 2002.

If you actually played it at the time you wouldn't be "ololo look the 10 years old game looks dated!"

Twinkle

Liturgist
Yeah, but like the guys above said, the previous games didn't exactly create any standards to uphold.

Why do you play a retard? MP was the best looking TPS at the time, whether you and your cousin used to laugh about Max's facial expression is completely irrelevant.

Twinkle said:
Why do you play a retard? MP was the best looking TPS at the time

you are wrong! I cant tell you why but you are just wrong baaaaaw

If you actually played it at the time you wouldn't be "ololo look the 10 years old game looks dated!

Because that's exactly what I did, compared it to modern standards. Yeah.

And I don't really get how "B-but everyone thought it looked awesome, so it must be true!" is valid for MP, but not for Oblivion.

edit: And the "high requirements for its time, people had to buy new shit to run it on" argument doesn't cut it, because it was the same with Ultima 9.

30.jpg

ortucis

Prophet
Twinkle said:

Why do you play a retard? MP was the best looking TPS at the time, whether you and your cousin used to laugh about Max's facial expression is completely irrelevant.

I have to agree. Max Payne looked great and MP2 had damn fine looking characters with proper facial animations almost comparable to Source shit. MP2 also had pretty awesome use of physics back in the day.

No one found those games terrible looking and I remember only praise for the visuals when they were released. Again, has ANYONE here played Rockstars Bully or Manhunt? Compare those graphics to MP2.

1303510111.jpg

Twinkle

Liturgist
you are wrong! I cant tell you why but you are just wrong baaaaaw

More like, bawww I desperately wanted to be anti-edgy and made a retarded statement. Why do everyone look at me like that, baaaaaw?

previous games didn't exactly create any standards to uphold.
compared it to modern standards

You need to decide before you flip-flop next time, my friend.

Ultima 9 screenshot

Getting really desperate?

Vibalist

Arcane
Well it's always something that they scrapped the Bruce Willis lookalike thing they initially planned for Max Payne 3.

And honestly you fuckers, why are you such graphic whores? Does it really matter if this game looks like something from 2005 if it plays well?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Skyway is late, the fact that Max Payne 3 looks like shit is OLD NEWS.

The fact that it probably will play like shit too, however, is still up for debate.

And Max Payne DID look great back in 1998. But man, it has aged horribly.

MetalCraze

Arcane
They didn't scrap anything.

He still looks like he swallows steroids every day.

They probably have a plot line connecting normal Max Payne (which is why he looks OK on some screenshots) going into jail where he was fucked in the ass when he failed his soap handling QTE and then became what he is now. It's Rockstar after all.

And yes. MP looks like some console crap with zero style - in contrast to noir atmosphere which is what made MP so memorable apart from graphics.

Here we just get some 'roid-rage convict jumping into cover in a sunny Brasil and it's Max Payne because coming up with a new name requires more creativity than putting a few bots into the corridor.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Max Payne 1 was more like "Shootdodge: The Game" than "the best TPS ever"

I still loved it when I replayed it a little while (oh god I think that "little while" was two years ago) back, though, so eh, it did something right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom