Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Broken Roads releasing on April 10th

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I'm working on something now with a writer whose last job was part of a writing team of 6 for one feature film
The very fact the writing team had 6 people on it is absurd. You'd need one decent writer.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Brother, you don't even have to be a pro writer. But you needed to have read something at least, to know what good writing looks like.

This isn't even on reader level, let alone writer level.

Falksi

Arcane
Colour coded dialogue choices takes me back to infants school, and stuff like this...

3iZM8Vu.jpg

They could have the deepest stuff imaginable in the rest of the game, and if it's trapped behind this system it's pretty null and void anyway.

So yeah, looks shit.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Looks to me like it is a lost cause to focus on writing unless you've got a second Avellone onboard ready to produce his magnum opus.

It's never a lost cause to strive for excellence.

The current brain drain in the creative fields is fertile grounds for any would-be writer with talent. Seriously, there's no competition at all. Even I feel like the big child in the playground going around punching all the dweebs and stealing their candy.

Here's a peek behind the curtain: there is almost no industry besides copywriting/technical writing that actually pays writers well, so people are filtered immediately after college. Either you're smart enough to get into a high-paying corpo job, or you take the creative job that pays you nothing and treats you like trash.

Corpo writers actually remain fairly normal as people, but the creatives get embittered and start really leaning into the soapboxing that creatives love to do. They get stuck in that mindset.

Especially now with AI coming in. The corpos already have built up careers and the best ones won't even lose their jobs in a field that's about the be completely dominated by AI.

Meanwhile, the creatives are still bottom of the totem pole. Their only hope is raising their clout on social media, which means jumping onboard le current thang.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I'm working on something now with a writer whose last job was part of a writing team of 6 for one feature film
The very fact the writing team had 6 people on it is absurd. You'd need one decent writer.
Yeah I am now genuinely curios how much "writing" a 1 film requires that they need 6 people. Sounds absolutely absurd.
It's how you end up with design by committee trash. Democratization of anything destroys it.

ropetight

Savant
Actually tried the demo of this gobbledygook on some SteamFest while ago.
What they have is kind of "morality radar", so you have bunch of dialog choices and actions that are this or that.
Only certain levels of each morality unlocks dialogue choices - so if you want to get quest done and tell someone to fuckoff, you have to do bunch of nonsense to gain enough levels of that morality on your radar.
But then again you fuck up another morality, cause moralities are complementary, often in non-intuitive ways.

Never in my life I was so off-put to grind just so I fit onto certain radar coordinates to be friends with some douche.
If you enjoy survival meters mechanics, just imagine that you don't need only to fill up hunger meter, but to balance it on just right level.
And then imagine having 6 or 8 such meters, all connected.

Maybe they changed it for final release, but somehow I doubt it.

And it was nuAussie, therefore woke AF.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I blame fucking Pugwall for all this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom