Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BROS SO IT IS GENERALLY AGREED

I don't give a fuck if the game is an RPG or not. It's the best game to come out in a long fucking time.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
RPG is a insanely vague definition. If you take 3 "TRUE RPGs", like FRUA, Fallout and Daggerfall, there would be few elements in common on all 3 of them, like character creation, stats, levels, quests...and all of them would be present on Dark Souls.

And anyway, Flying Spaghetti Monster is right, it's an amazing game, the best in recent years, and a serious incline in console gaming, and hopefully PC gaming soon. :salute:

J_J_M

Educated
Dark Souls takes its "RPG format" from Diablo, except it has less customization, less items, less quests, less dialogue, less randomization, and we all know what many of think of Diablo as a RPG.

Stakhanov

Augur
[/quote]

They borrow elements from RPG's, but they do not have what makes up a fully fledged RPG, that's the way I see it. Thus they remain ARPG's.[/quote]

Neither do roguelikes. So they aren't RPGs then? Hint: they're a sub-genre.

Purist bullshit is purist bullshit. As has been pointed out, the definition of RPG is derived from a loose assortment of widely disparate games. Every genre is further divisible into sub-genres and sub-genres of sub-genres. One can argue the merits of particular sub-genres and more complex cases such as cross-genres, but excluding them from discussion based on personal whim is derp. Conventions change, definitions change, and even on Codex there are differing positions on what mechanics and features are most significant to the RPG. How can we rage against the decline if we constantly have to debate what games are actually RPG enough to qualify as decline?

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Stakhanov said:
They borrow elements from RPG's, but they do not have what makes up a fully fledged RPG, that's the way I see it. Thus they remain ARPG's.

Neither do roguelikes. So they aren't RPGs then? Hint: they're a sub-genre.

Purist bullshit is purist bullshit. As has been pointed out, the definition of RPG is derived from a loose assortment of widely disparate games. Every genre is further divisible into sub-genres and sub-genres of sub-genres. One can argue the merits of particular sub-genres and more complex cases such as cross-genres, but excluding them from discussion based on personal whim is derp. Conventions change, definitions change, and even on Codex there are differing positions on what mechanics and features are most significant to the RPG. How can we rage against the decline if we constantly have to debate what games are actually RPG enough to qualify as decline?

Lol, explain to me what roguelikes lack from an RPG standard.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
J_J_M said:
Dark Souls takes its "RPG format" from Diablo, except it has less customization, less items, less quests, less dialogue, less randomization, and we all know what many of think of Diablo as a RPG.

Having a million randomly generated items and levels isn't really an RPG mechanic.

I'd disagree that Dark Souls has less customization than Diablo. It certainly has more character attributes than either of the Diablo games. Dark Souls has more player choices as well, as you can kill just about any NPC if you want to and pick from one of a dozen of so (poorly implemented) factions to join.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Quests and dialogue for starters. Character creation in more than one. Party members. A persistent world.

If you want to whinge over semantics, we can call infinity engine games ARPGs as well. Pretty much the only differences between them and roguelikes are the attributes of Dark Souls.

Or is your definition of an RPG, 'accuracy determined by die roll, + turn based.'

Random

Arcane
Patron
Castanova said:
TripJack said:
isn't dark souls the first good video game that has come out for the ps3

Nope. Demon's Souls.

I was about to say that. Oh, and Valkyria Chronicles is another great PS3 game.

Dark Souls is the best game to come out in years. Is it a CRPG, the kind we like to masturbate to on this forum? No. However, what few RPG elements it has qualifies it as an ARPG. I'm not sure why you guys are so butthurt about genres, considering calling Dark Souls an RPG would be a massive boon to the genre.

tl;dr: Dark Souls is already going to be the best game of the decade.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I think, an RPG is a telling a story in dynamic (interactive) and creative way. And when you can't solve something by talking with DM, you use dice. That's why combat is usually the biggest part of most roleplaying systems. And as you don't have a DM in CRPG, everything else is up to a roleplaying system too.
Most of CRPG developers forget about "dynamic and interactive", but talk a lot about "the story" (like Bioware). They just drag you forward with narrative throwing combat and puzzles on your way. Others try diffirent, like in Troika games you can create your own narrative via means of complicated and interesting character creation system and how it interacts with game world. I don't believe a thing like "true RPG" exists on PC/Consoles, but those who strive to be closer to it are more "true" than others, thus one can argue that they make better RPG's.

...wait, what was the topic about again?
Oh, right.
I disagree with you, dear Blobert. Because does that mean that to play good RPGs I have to become a consoletard? I would never :smug:

Nattvardsvin

Learned
DamnedRegistrations said:
Quests and dialogue for starters. Character creation in more than one. Party members. A persistent world.

If you want to whinge over semantics, we can call infinity engine games ARPGs as well. Pretty much the only differences between them and roguelikes are the attributes of Dark Souls.

Or is your definition of an RPG, 'accuracy determined by die roll, + turn based.'

There are roguelikes that have quests, dialog, in what way does roguelikes lack character creation?
A persistent world is not the element of an RPG standard.

But this is all opinions I guess. So this is going nowhere.

thesoup

Arcane
Rofl at whoever called it the best game of the decade.

I'm willing to bet half of you will forget about this game in a few years.

I'm also curious as to why is this game the new standard for RPGs. From what I've seen, this game is more of a DMC / Diablo hybrid. I haven't played it (probably never will because it looks boring), but tell me: does it allow you to sneak, talk your way out of some conflicts and does the story branch (or can it be at least stretched to an extent)?

thesoup

Arcane
So your entire roleplaying in DS is based on choosing equipment and atributes?
Wow, RPGs have come a long way since the 8bit graphics.

Gerrard

Arcane
Excidium said:
If Dark Souls is an RPG than half the games being released these days are RPGs. I can develop my character and upgrade his equipment in Saints Row 3 too.

Sul said:
Spark Mandriller said:
cboyardee said:
Agreed. Good thing Dark Souls is an RPG.

Roleplaying is playing a character.
Your PC in Dark souls has no dialogue, no personality, and no character at all.

If you don't have a character you can't roleplay. It's not an RPG.
lyH6v.jpg
fixed.
:salute:

thesoup said:

I'm also curious as to why is this game the new standard for RPGs. From what I've seen, this game is more of a DMC / Diablo hybrid. I haven't played it (probably never will because it looks boring), but tell me: does it allow you to sneak, talk your way out of some conflicts and does the story branch (or can it be at least stretched to an extent)?

Wiz 8 has a barely comprehensible story (or at least one that totally doesn't fucking matter), and I still consider that the best RPG of the previous decade. Fuck you larpfags and your C&C, give me a game with good game mechanics, good combat, and a thin justification for going deeper into the dungeon (figuratively), and you can keep your Commander Shepherd.

thesoup

Arcane
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
thesoup said:

Wiz 8 has a barely comprehensible story (or at least one that totally doesn't fucking matter), and I still consider that the best RPG of the previous decade. Fuck you larpfags and your C&C, give me a game with good game mechanics, good combat, and a thin justification for going deeper into the dungeon (figuratively), and you can keep your Commander Shepherd.
You prefer strategy games. That's alright. Just don't mix them with RPGs.

Machocruz

Arcane
The genre has even less quality than I thought if Wizardry and the like don't make the cut

Ultima, Fallout, and Planescape were all you could muster Saruman?

Mortmal

Arcane
thesoup said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
thesoup said:

You prefer strategy games. That's alright. Just don't mix them with RPGs.

*sigh* Yeah dont mix strategy game with rpgs, you should have told this guy..my young little friends this is god:
Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.JPG

"In the 1960s, Gygax created an organization of wargaming clubs and founded the Gen Con gaming convention. In 1971, he helped develop Chainmail, a miniatures wargame based on medieval warfare. He co-founded the company Tactical Studies Rules (TSR, Inc.) with childhood friend Don Kaye in 1973. The following year, he and Dave Arneson created Dungeons & Dragons, which expanded on his work on Chainmail and included elements of the fantasy stories he loved as a child. In the same year, he founded The Dragon, a magazine based around the new game. In 1977, Gygax began work on a more comprehensive version of the game, called Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Gygax designed numerous manuals for the game system, as well as several pre-packaged adventures called "modules" that gave a person running a D&D game (the "Dungeon Master") a rough script and ideas on how to run a particular gaming scenario. In 1983, he worked to license the D&D product line into the successful Dungeons & Dragons cartoon series."

thesoup

Arcane
What's your point? I know the history of RPGs and where they came from. That doesn't mean wargaming = RPG or, indeed, strategic combat = RPG.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Nattvardsvin said:
DamnedRegistrations said:

There are roguelikes that have quests, dialog, in what way does roguelikes lack character creation?
A persistent world is not the element of an RPG standard.

But this is all opinions I guess. So this is going nowhere.

Have you ever actually seen Rogue? Or DoomRL, or IVAN, or Nethack?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom