Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Derpy: Derp Durrs epic fail

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Epic fail of CoD:BO in Germany.
Still had some time waiting for the train in Darmstadt so I went into some magazine shop and took a look at the gamestar. There was an article about CoD: Black Cocks, and at one place they said that the German version isn't censored very much, all the violence and blood is still in - except for the "symbols that violate the constitution", which means swastikas (yes that's how German law officially calls it) which are removed.

That's all standard fare, even if some games don't censor violence, they all censor swastikas, because having them means that the game can't be sold openly in Germany, it would have to be sold "under the desk", so it couldn't be put on the shelves. Well, no problem, all the people who want an uncensored game nazis can just import it from the UK or US or even Austria and it's all good. Not with this game.

They also wrote that the international version cannot be activated in Germany. That's right, you can import the DVD from the UK, legally buying it, paying full price, then install it - and you can't do the online activation because you got a German IP. LOLWUT. It's not like it's even illegal in Germany, you just can't sell it openly or buy it if you're under 18. This is... heck I don't even know what it is because it's incredibly far beyond retarded.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
One Dresden/Hamburg wasn't enough.

Krauts evidently Hate Freedom and need some serious carpet bombing.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Welcome to Australia, JarlFrank. We have even shittier gaming laws and shitty slow internets to boot! I'll never forget the Duke 3D that came out in Australia: no blood, no swearing, no babes, nothing...even so it STILL had an adults option to lock away the bits that were left! LOL

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Censorship used to be much worse here in the past (the first Command and Conquer had all infantry described as Cyborgs and the war was supposed to be only fought in places without any human population, because a game about war where people die would be too brutal) but it has become much better with the time. And then, you can always import the international version.

Swastikas are still going to be censored and this won't change until either the Fourth Reich or until games are recognized as art because you may use them in art.

TripJack

Hedonist
hey guys maybe if we stop people from looking at swastikas nobody will remember how we were responsible for the biggest war in the history of the world or for that genocide thingy

TripJack said:
hey guys maybe if we stop people from looking at swastikas nobody will remember how we were responsible for the biggest war in the history of the world or for that genocide thingy

Tbh, I think the actual reason is that if Germany so much as shows a swastika, regardless of context, retards will have the most epic freak out ever*, and Germany feels they don't need that shit.

*ME showing half a nipple for 0.5 seconds was enough to have Fox calling it a sex simulator for a while, imagine for how long they could milk "Is nazism returning? German youths exposed to nazi doctrine through games!" news...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Actually, it's a law that has been implemented when the Americans wanted to de-nazify Germany. So public showing of any nazi images (the swastika being, obviously, the most iconic one) is forbidden unless it is either used in historical documentary or in art (which includes comics, movies, paintings... but not games).

Luzur

Good Sir
but then again i have played alot of nazi games that come from germany (KZ manager being the lulziest, but also that nazi text adventure on C64 was kinda fun.) and they sure did go all out on swastikas and references of the Fûhrer being great etc.

so the underground is doing its best to combat such laws, it would seem.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Well, you are allowed to own and play games containing swastikas. You just may not openly advertise them or sell them. Same with nazi rock music - if a bunch of talentless hacks think it's a cool thing to make a cheap black metal album with lyrics about the nazis being awesome and jews being teh suck, they may do it. They're just not allowed to distribute it openly.

German censorship laws are kinda funny. Anything, games, moves or music, can be put on the index. If something's on the index it may not be advertised nor sold openly. You may still own it and buy it from digital download sites or privately contact someone and sell it to him.

Which makes it even more fucking retarded that Activision wouldn't allow the international version to be activated in Germany, since it is perfectly legal to buy and own it.
Then again, Kotick is a jew and approves of keeping anything remotely nazi away from the Germans before they decide he needs a shower.

Black

Arcane
I'd call it an incline of Vaterland, one generic shooter less= good.

uniquegames.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
ComradeCommissar said:
Any game that uses guns in first-person view is the same as Call of Duty.
When did this happen? I mean I can think of so many pre-2005 FPS that looked completely different. Now they all look the same. And... well I can't place the turning point. Was it COD4? Is that the point when all shooters started cloning each other?

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
It was the point when FPSes started cloning CoD 4, because it made all the money, before that it was Halo 2, because it made all the money, etc., etc.

Though I think it is safe to say they began going overboard with CoD 4 cloning, as almost no new ideas have been injected into the genre since then.

CrimHead

Scholar
It's unfortunate, but its certainly not a trend exclusive to the Penis3 or shitbrix360 (ololol see what i did thar). Take a look at all the Diablo clones on the PC.

Destroid

Arcane
Probably the result of the local distributor complaining, as grey imports would make a big difference to their bottom line on such a big title.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Chef_Hathaway said:
before that it was Halo 2, because it made all the money, etc., etc.
But it was never like this. Tons of shooters copied Wolf 3D and then Doom's gameplay, but one look would tell you with 100% certainty that this was not Wolf or Doom. Hexen and Witchaven came out almost at the same time (I remember reading reviews in the same issue) yet one glance could tell you which was which. Then you have that collage that had Black Ops, MOH and a couple more games right next to each other... and even though I had played some of the games on there I had NO idea which was which.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom