Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Derpy: Derp Durrs epic fail

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
I know it wasn't exactly like that, not every game that came out was Halo 2, but lots copied it, it was the game to clone then for easy $$$.

However, CoD 4 was the point of no more originality in FPSes, as you have pointed out.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
Hi guise, now try to imagine Hexen made with modern tech (made right, of course).

:rage:

When I play old games I always imagine how awesome it would be if a sequel would be made with modern technology, expanding on the original features, adding more complexity and better AI...

... and then a single look on the modern gaming industry crushes all my hopes to dust.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
DraQ said:
Hi guise, now try to imagine Hexen made with modern tech (made right, of course).

:rage:

When I play old games I always imagine how awesome it would be if a sequel would be made with modern technology, expanding on the original features, adding more complexity and better AI...

... and then a single look on the modern gaming industry crushes all my hopes to dust.
Terra Nova 2 on Crysis engine.
:M

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
DraQ said:
]Terra Nova 2 on Crysis engine.
:M

It would have health regen....

.though one could always dream...it would be fucking awesome to jump into a battle zone and have the whole HUD thing on a representation of the helmet, gleams reflecting off the glass, then tearing down the mountainside, firing off rockets and shells at scum, pretty explosions and shit....yeah, fuck it, there's no law to state that great games of yesteryear HAVE to look the same as they did back then! Wanting to see a classic in the way I bet the original developers would have loved to see it isn't a fucking crime!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
ComradeCommissar said:
Any game that uses guns in first-person view is the same as Call of Duty.
When did this happen? I mean I can think of so many pre-2005 FPS that looked completely different. Now they all look the same. And... well I can't place the turning point. Was it COD4? Is that the point when all shooters started cloning each other?

I thought it really started with COD2. Once we got health regen that was it as far as ubiquitous mechanics for subsequent shooters went and then almost everyone started using the UE 3 engine and it was all complete.

Amazing thing is even though the engine of MW is different to UE3, it still looks more or less the same and I had thought it was done on UE3 at first, so even games made on rival engines end up generic looking.

Only a few Eastern Bloc games look more distinct these days; Precursors, STALKER, White Gold...

DraQ

Arcane
It's not the problem with engine. It's the problem that everyone seems to be making faux-realistic linear scripted rollercoasters with modern weapons. It seems that the disease that has destroyed RPGs has finally caught up with tactical shooters*.

I wonder if they withstand the deluge of faux-tactical FPSes better than RPGs had withstood the deluge of faux-RPGs.

Big industry with its design committees, whatever it touches, turns into shit.

*) lolol itz testical shotre coz it has rl wepons and u aim with sights itz also has no hud coz hud has no imershun but rlodaing is unrealistic so u regrenate also cover is testical lolo!!1

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
I was playing it 2 days ago. It's called Hexen under Doomsday :smug:
(once I figure out how to turn bias lighting off. though somehow it's not as bad under Hexen as in Doom, probably because Hexen used more natural-looking lighting in its design)

DraQ said:
Terra Nova 2 on Crysis engine.
Nah, I'd rather an engine that can handle real-time terrain remodelling. Novalogic's voxel engines could do this IIRC (well, so could Magic Carpet, but we want something new). A next-gen version of... what was their last game using it, Comanche 4? Or whatever other engine can handle this really. Imagine intense firefight with heavy weapons creating a small crater where the enemy base used to be, then being chewed by your superiors who had asked you to try and be stealthy...

Regarding initiator of decline, maybe it is a combination of health regen from COD2 making all games play the same with faux-realistic linear tactical shooters making them also look the same. Not a good combination.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
CrimHead said:
Penis3 or shitbrix360 .

HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

Fufck man think im gonna vomit ggughghi

see you in hgell asshoels this is th eitme

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
I was playing it 2 days ago. It's called Hexen under Doomsday :smug:
(once I figure out how to turn bias lighting off. though somehow it's not as bad under Hexen as in Doom, probably because Hexen used more natural-looking lighting in its design)

No, but imagine Hexen completely reimagined using modern engine. I know it's graphics whoreism, but imagine Wraithverge, or Arc of Death how they could be done today.
Ready?

Now look at all the Call of Derp clones.
Intense-Rage-Guy.jpg

?

Nah, I'd rather an engine that can handle real-time terrain remodelling. Novalogic's voxel engines could do this IIRC (well, so could Magic Carpet, but we want something new). A next-gen version of... what was their last game using it, Comanche 4? Or whatever other engine can handle this really. Imagine intense firefight with heavy weapons creating a small crater where the enemy base used to be, then being chewed by your superiors who had asked you to try and be stealthy...
:love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom