Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can't decide which is better: Fallout 1 or Fallout 2.

Which is better?

• Fallout 1: It's the classic!

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Fallout 2: It improved on everything Fallout 1 did and did it better.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Fallout 3: dur hur i liek bethesda kuest cumpass! (kc)

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Imbecile

Arbiter
Fallout 1 was small but perfectly formed.

Edit: Though I gotta say that I liked New Vegas at least as much, though for different reasons.

Duckard

Augur
Fallout 1 vanilla. Fallout 2 if you replace all the music with Yakety Sax.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Pope Amole said:
Dude, are you living in a MMORPG or what?

Dude, we are talking about a game world, aren't we? There is no amour damage! If I blow the torso of a dude wearing any armour, I can still loot/equip the fucking armour, like new! It's how the game goes. It's like arguing about radiation levels ingame vs real life, it's just not the point.

And maybe to the Emperor is best to have money to equip 50 men that keeping a single suit of armour or minigun. For an expansion plan, it surely makes a lot more sense to be able to spread out.

Also, that bring up one of the great things about Fallout 1/2, that although you are the "Chosen One", there are other people doing stuff out there. The world feels alive and full of people fighting to get the upper hand. The same way I can be a n00b and die to some Highway Men ambush, even after getting a Power Armour, so can a BOS Paladin.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
heechee1 said:
Fallout 2 is fucking themepark, lol at people trying to rationalize retarded shit like kung-fu town, mobster town, or the tribals.
Indeed. I think people take the fallout setting WAY too seriously.

Renegen

Arcane
Fallout had a bigger impact...

.....but it's Fallout 2 that I'm still playing. So the game had some dumb things like the Vault experiments, and the whole Enclave in general (it sure was fun for a while to think there was no central government anywhere)

Fallout 2 takes the cake.

curry

Arcane
heechee1 said:
Fallout 2 is fucking themepark, lol at people trying to rationalize retarded shit like kung-fu town, mobster town, or the tribals.

This.

Fallout had the gritty atmosphere of despair and desolation, emotionally intriguing story and just the right amount of well-timed humor.

Fallout 2 had none of the above.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
curry said:
Fallout had the gritty atmosphere of despair and desolation, emotionally intriguing story
What about you stop making Fallout sound like a Bioware RPG? The fuck.

Klaz

Scholar
Fallout 2 is better. There's more reactivity, skills such as Doctor or Science are more useful, and there's just more to do and explore. Fallout is a short game but it isn't that repayable compared to Arcanum or Fallout 2.

Those who think Fallout 2 is a theme park should play Wasteland instead of looking for more mods for New Vegas. Not everything has to be "realistic".

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Maybe I don't understand the storyfag mindset, but wouldn't ruining the atmosphere by throwing in all these comedy/themepark elements count as a pretty major strike against a storyfag RPG? I mean when you're relying on story, atmosphere and setting to make up for a fundamental lack of gameplay, eliminating atmosphere and greatly weakening setting is kind of a big deal...

Fallout 1 = Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
Fallout 2 = Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome

People voting for Fallout 2 can't recognize decline when they see it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I recently finished another Fallout replay and it took me nearly three weeks. That's enough content for me, and it still had dull activities I only completed for the easy-if-time-consuming experience rewards. Now, it's been years, but as I recall, Fallout 2 had an hours-long shitboring beginning, an hours-long shitboring endgame, and a lot of crap sprinkled in-between because Black Isle's idea of encounter design was to just spam countless geckos/rats/raiders/wanamingos/mutants/etc and call it a day (I only used sfall a couple of times in Fallout whereas I think I'd pretty much need to have it on almost all the time in 2). So if you have more time than sense I guess I can see why one would prefer Fallout 2. Enjoy that shit and ice cream sandwich.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Fallout 2 has a lot more content and is just much more fun and replayable than the first game, that's why I voted on it. Fallout 1 had better pacing and story though.

PorkaMorka said:
People voting for Fallout 2 can't recognize decline when they see it.
Man if :decline: was Fallout 2 this genre would be fucking heavan.

Deleted member 7219

Best game of the series is New Vegas.

Then Fallout 2, Fallout, Fallout 3, Fallout Tactics and Fallout: PoS in that order. Fallout 3 doesn't really feel like a proper Fallout game but it is still ok. Tactics and PoS were terrible.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Excidium said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
DragoFireheart said:
the background of the vaults being revealed was interesting.

Fuck that. The whole vault experiment bit introduced in Fallout 2 was shit. In Fallout 1, you were told the vaults were created to keep America's best and brightest from perishing in the impending nuclear holocaust. In Fallout 2, you learned that the vaults were a giant, secret experiment set up by a shadow government to test how humans would act in specific circumstances in small, closed environments. Why? So the shadow government could apply what they learned for when they'd hop into their spaceship and populate another planet.
And what's wrong with that? It fits with the setting.

I don't like it, simple as that. Too fantastical and gimmicky for my tastes.

That said, there are plenty of things in Fallout 2 that don't the fit setting. The ghost in the den is one I remember off the top of my head. If the ghost was explained by some cheesy sci-fi pseudo-scientific means, it'd be ok, but it wasn't. Then there's the proliferation of real-world weaponry despite the fact they were antiques even before the bombs fell. Fallout 1 had a single Mauser and some Desert Eagles which explained by saying they were popularized by movies. The rest, I believe, were fictional weapons like the AK-112 and Winchester City-Killer. Fallout 2 introduced several additional real-world weapons like the M3A1 and Thompson SMGs from WW2. Then Tactics took that to a completely new heights. Now in New Vegas you're running around with lever-action rifles.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Now in New Vegas you're running around with lever-action rifles.

To be fair lever-action rifles remain relatively popular with 'Kwan civilian shooters so it is likely there would be plenty of them floating around when society collapses. They may be shitty but they're still guns that shoot relatively accurately and relatively quickly, so they'd probably get used by people with nothing better.

( Didn't play any of the next gen Fallouts so I don't know if they were supposed to be "real" ones dating back to the 1800s or just one of the tons of modern ones floating around )

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think the lever action rifles in New Vegas were manufactured after the war.

I know the Gun Runners have factories that produce ammunition at least...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
They really fucked it up with tons of RL weapons in Fallout 2. Fallout 1 had just Desert Eagle - which was the favourite gun of Chris Taylor and Mauser (another Mad Max 1 gun together with the Shotgun). That's what happens when the guy that designed the items is limited to writing writing a manual in sequel.

One thing that I disliked in Fo1 is how Gun Runners were making most energy weapons and heavy guns from scrap metal. They should be making some simpler post-apocalyptic guns.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Admiral Jimbob said it the best. The only thing that Fallout 2 improved with respect to Fallout is the interface. Parts of the Fallout 2 game world were great when considered on their own, independent of the game world, but put them together and they make quite a schizophrenic setting (New Reno being the best example).
Fallout was too short, but better than its sequel.
Regardless of the flaws, both are among the best RPGs.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
shihonage said:
I prefer Fallout 3 because you get to have a real birthday party like in real life
And you go in a quest to find your father, not some object. Much more emotionally envolving.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
The only faction that seems to be clearly buying their stuff is the CoC and the Master's Super Mutant army. No way muties have all that weapons and ammo from salvage. It is hilarious to think that the Gun Runners were essentially financed by the Master and his church.
I don't think the Master's Army was buying any weapons and ammo. I think they already had all that stuff from Military Base and from the Union of Atomic Workers.

Take in account that they were basically an end game store and thus apparently couldn't just have low quality post-apocalyptic guns. I really disliked some stuff in LA, like that random chemist that knew how tu upgrade powered armour and random smith that knew how to upgrade plasma rifle.

shihonage said:
I prefer Fallout 3 because you get to have a real birthday party like in real life

I like it because I finally get to have a real birthday party, unlike real life :(

sigle+tear.jpg

I avenged you, dad

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom