Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - main thread - Fallout1/NEOScavenger older brother.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just adding my voice to go for Bright Nights instead of Dark Days Ahead.

DDA just makes the games needlessly painful to play, simulating every single fucking pocket and volume on every single item. To the point where half the time you spend on moving inventory items around.
And it applies the same "too much simulation" approach to most parts of the game.

Bright Nights is by no means simplistic and still heavily simulationist, but a lot less annoying to play and more focused on things outside of inventory shuffling and fine-grained nutrition management :lol:

Also, I strongly recommend using the Catapult launcher for playing, so you won't have to fiddle with manual mod installations, downloads, switching between versions, making data backups (easy to make "save games" with if you don't like going ironman), etc..
Also supports both DDA and Bright Nights and is cross-platform (At least Windows & Linux, maybe OSX later):
https://github.com/qrrk/Catapult

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Pockets are fine if you learn the basics. Pockets would be the main reason to play DDA instead of BN, because of their convenience. DDA has other problems, like the Exodii and other poorly made quests.

quaesta

Educated
It is free game made by dudes
Incorrect,

Anyways I enjoy it. Very atmospheric and it's great fun. My favorite part is finding human NPCs and killing them. The second is when you see those tall tree creatures, that aren't hostile to you. I love them because they're horrific creatures (even the description gives them a spooky appearance) but they go around and kill zombies, so they can't be all that bad.

The Jester

Cipher
Bah! the game fucking crashes every time I try to choose profession tab :
98nqXbx.png

quaesta

Educated
Bah! the game fucking crashes every time I try to choose profession tab :
98nqXbx.png
IMG_LOADWEBP
Even in my video games, we're still having shitty WEBP problems.
Anyways if you want to try it out, I run 0.G Gaiman and have little trouble on it. Otherwise I'm not sure what's causing the crashes.

quaesta

Educated
Okay I reinstalled and now everything works perfectly.
Have fun. Remember, this game's like real life. And just like real life, intelligence/ranged combat is what made us the kings of this world. And be prepared to die a lot. I wouldn't say it's hard in the sense that it demands careful skill, more that you have to understand the game's language/rhythm in order to do well in it.

The Jester

Cipher
Okay I reinstalled and now everything works perfectly.
Have fun. Remember, this game's like real life. And just like real life, intelligence/ranged combat is what made us the kings of this world. And be prepared to die a lot. I wouldn't say it's hard in the sense that it demands careful skill, more that you have to understand the game's language/rhythm in order to do well in it.
"King" Lmao I made an alcoholic cannibal hobo that stinks like shit.

Pockets are fine if you learn the basics. Pockets would be the main reason to play DDA instead of BN, because of their convenience. DDA has other problems, like the Exodii and other poorly made quests.

I like pockets in theory, but I wish it could be done easily through one menu only. Moving stuff from one pocket to another isn't quick or intuitive. Conversely, in BN you spend a LOT of time carefully sorting items because there aren't separate containers, so you can't carry a "loot bag". Both systems are still far from perfect, IMO.

Overall, I've warmed up considerably to DDA; I wouldn't say one is clearly superior to the other from a gameplay perspective. If you're starting out, I'll still strongly recommend BN, as it's already complex enough.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
i played this, ivan, and stone soup about a decade ago while on a pretty hard roguelike kick for a year or so. project zomboid has a starting scenario (a really bad cdda day) based off the really day day start, wherer you start drunk, naked, and your house is on fire. fucking fantastic from what i remember, but i can't remember if they had npc's a decade ago though...i've played a lot of ascii shit in the intervening years, the decades of gaming is beginning to blend into an rpg pidgin of differing games.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Don't compare scam games that are good for an hour like Project Zomboid to Cataclysm.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pockets are fine if you learn the basics. Pockets would be the main reason to play DDA instead of BN, because of their convenience.
Ah, yes, the convenience of spending hours moving stuff around manually from pocket to pocket. Or basically having to set up "macros" (forgot the name) for auto pick-up, pocket filling, etc.
You can speed this up somewhat by learning all the different shortcuts in the way-too-many menus, but it's still a significant chunk of time lost on boring inventory tetris and fighting the game putting things where you don't wan't them put. Or the impossibility to use an item without manually removing its container from the container THAT is in from... to see anyone defending this insanity as "convenience" boggles the mind :lol:

The entire system crumbles under its own weight and the UI sure as hell can't keep up with it. It would be a problem with a 2D/3D rendered inventory, but an ASCII/sprite one? No way.

Compared to BN's "here's a list of all your items", which you can filter with the normal inventory, sort and more with advanced one and that's it.
I agree with Gilius Thunderhead it would be nice if you could manually define another inventory to use for certain loot, kind of like having one or two abstract containers, but you still spend drastically less time in your inventory than you do in DDA.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Pockets are fine if you learn the basics. Pockets would be the main reason to play DDA instead of BN, because of their convenience.
Ah, yes, the convenience of spending hours moving stuff around manually from pocket to pocket. Or basically having to set up "macros" (forgot the name) for auto pick-up, pocket filling, etc.
You can speed this up somewhat by learning all the different shortcuts in the way-too-many menus, but it's still a significant chunk of time lost on boring inventory tetris and fighting the game putting things where you don't wan't them put. Or the impossibility to use an item without manually removing its container from the container THAT is in from... to see anyone defending this insanity as "convenience" boggles the mind :lol:

The entire system crumbles under its own weight and the UI sure as hell can't keep up with it. It would be a problem with a 2D/3D rendered inventory, but an ASCII/sprite one? No way.

Compared to BN's "here's a list of all your items", which you can filter with the normal inventory, sort and more with advanced one and that's it.
I agree with Gilius Thunderhead it would be nice if you could manually define another inventory to use for certain loot, kind of like having one or two abstract containers, but you still spend drastically less time in your inventory than you do in DDA.
Have you played DDA recently?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
A couple months ago. I'm late to the BN party.
There's no saving that pedantic inventory crap.

Also, the inventory may be the worst offender, but DDA stumbles over its own pedanticness in numerous other ways, adding extremely little of gameplay value but many ways of getting in the way of the player.

The added simulation detail is not worth the struggle that comes with it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
A couple months ago. There's no saving that pedantic inventory crap.
It takes a few minutes maximum to set up your inventory templates after you find your containers of choice. Then you won't have to modify the setup much again. You can save the templates and use them across characters. Everything you pick up goes where you want it to go, unlike in BN, where, when you start getting enough items in your inventory, it becomes a mess. You can drop specific containers with items that are irrelevant in combat and pick them up after combat, unlike in BN where the "not pockets" system gives you much less control over what you drop.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
It takes a few minutes maximum to set up your inventory templates after you find your containers of choice. Then you won't have to modify the setup much again.
The fact that you need "inventory templates" in a video game is the best q.e.d for my point, so thank you for that.

You can drop specific containers with items that are irrelevant in combat and pick them up after combat, unlike in BN where the "not pockets" system gives you much less control over what you drop.
You don't need full control over what you drop.
https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/pull/603#issuecomment-894426524

This has been in since 2021/22, apparently. I'm not sure how much of the idea has made it to the latest stable, but the current way is:

Just drop a backpack or such and the game will take care of the rest, "filling" it with clutter you don't need right now so you lose the weight, to be picked up later again.
I haven't fiddled around with this, because frankly there's no need for it. Dropping a backpack has always worked just fine. Maybe it would be nice to be able to mark things as "never drop this with a container", but again I never had things I needed in combat dropped by the game so I don't even know if that feature might actually exist already.

If you want a quick test for this, start as the pizza delivery guy, which will give you a messenger bag. Drop that bag. You'll see that items that were in your inventory before are now in that bag on the ground.
Keeping in mind that BN has no real concept of "this item is in this container" in your inventory - there's only volume and weight - this means the game decided it was a good idea to put those things in there when dropping the bag. Works for me.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I don't need anything in a video game; I like having control over what I drop.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Last time I tried DDA I cleared out a science lab on the surface. The game wouldn't reveal if a body had a keycard on it without me standing directly on the body because it was in the wallet. Searching a room for useful items taking literally dozens of extra keystrokes and reading through hundreds of extra lines of text is what drove me to switching to BN branch.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Do you guys use single pool points or separate?
I prefer single pool, it's just more flexible.

Balance isn't much of a consideration for the starting character in this game since you'll be getting so much stronger pretty quickly anyway.
If you survive the start, that is :lol:

I guess pool makes it a bit easier to minmax? But it's not like you can build yourself a "safe" character right from the get-go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom