Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Lore - turn-based pixel art RPG inspired by classics

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Game keeps crashing every few minutes with "no licenses" -message after latest GOG patch. :(

edit.
For fucks sake. It's trying to verify game via Steam client.
Since I own GOG version that's kinda a problem.

LoreMaster, please fix.
have faith, that dude releases patches daily. he clearly cares a lot about the game, hopefully he will fix it asap.
Already has.
Actually i spoke too soon.
At least there are raspberries around here.

Modron

Arcane
Updated: https://steamcommunity.com/games/2227130/announcements/detail/5537791310805459043
Achievements!
Achievements have been added!

6c32b9e1507f3e6d7862378cbc8b45550520f21a.png

Achievements are finally here! Thanks to everyone who waited patiently. I got a lot of fun ideas from the community, and some of these will be very difficult to complete while others will be simple.

For a few of these, previous games will have to re-interact with things, and even fewer require a new game (Such as, win on Nightmare).

Enjoy!

xuerebx

Erudite
Man, this game seems like it's really good, but whenever I need to interact with something, whether it's an object, or entering into conversation, buying/selling, training, levelling up skills/traits etc - I have to press every button on the screen because it's unclear which buttons are relevant. Is it just me?

And more importantly, if it's not just me, is there any resource I can look up (video etc) to help me understand how the UI (and the aforementioned points) works?

xuerebx

Erudite
Put in a few more hours and I've gotten the hang out of the game. Just started Act III in the graveyard. I think the game suffers a bit from item/loot bloat, and combat encounters can get a bit repetitive, although the combat itself is neat. Story is interesting - something new for a change. And personally I really like the art style.

One thing I haven't found any real use for - ingredients you pick up, other than those required for a quest.

Modron

Arcane
One thing I haven't found any real use for - ingredients you pick up, other than those required for a quest.
Define ingredients. There are all kinds of cooking recipes that can combine a variety of foods, you can make potions in whatever the refuge is called, you can refine weapons with metals at the blacksmith and you can improve enchantments at I want to say librarian dude in the refuge.

xuerebx

Erudite
Define ingredients. There are all kinds of cooking recipes that can combine a variety of foods, you can make potions in whatever the refuge is called, you can refine weapons with metals at the blacksmith and you can improve enchantments at I want to say librarian dude in the refuge.
Ah, I haven't found any cooking recipes but I did find a couple of potion recipes. I think I need to head back to the refuge and speak to everyone again. Thanks!

xuerebx

Erudite
How many Acts does the game have?

My 2 gripes are that there are too many combat encounters (and you can only speed it up 2x) and item bloat. The enemies are generally easy so it becomes a drag sometimes. Less, but more powerful requiring thinking, combat encounters would be better IMO. Or it could just be me as I haven't seen anyone mentioning these points.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

My 2 gripes are that there are too many combat encounters (and you can only speed it up 2x) and item bloat. The enemies are generally easy so it becomes a drag sometimes. Less, but more powerful requiring thinking, combat encounters would be better IMO. Or it could just be me as I haven't seen anyone mentioning these points.
CheatEngine

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I forgot about acts, fiveish. Loot bloat is a common complaint in here. You don't need to fight every encounter. Stealth to avoid some enemies.

There is room for improvement in the sequel.

xuerebx

Erudite
I forgot about stealth tbh! But yes, there is good room for improvement whilst retaining the game's charm.

Covenant

Savant
Picked this up in a recent sale but I'm honestly disappointed so far. The UI is poor - I don't need modern trash, I'd be perfectly happy with text menus, but there's a lot that could do be done to improve clarity. Something as simple as making sure that every button has hover text saying what it does would be a good start. There are also many different systems that seem to come into play in exploration (stealth, spells, party members' special skills) but at this point more of it is feeling like bloat than like meaningful systems that are giving me interesting gameplay decisions to make.

I'll stick with it as I'm still pretty early, but I'm in a Wilma/Betty situation where I'm playing Caves of Lore, but I'm thinking of Exile.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Yeah, the developer could really have benefited from someone helping to surface his ideas in a more intuitive way. Overall though, I found the positives far outweighed the negatives.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
The enemies are generally easy so it becomes a drag sometimes. Less, but more powerful requiring thinking, combat encounters would be better IMO. Or it could just be me as I haven't seen anyone mentioning these points.
I found it was necessary to increase the difficulty a couple of times after the first chapter to keep the game interesting. It is so combat-heavy that playing on normal makes the game almost an idler...

Modron

Arcane
I've said it earlier in the thread but it bears repeating that Caves of Lore is one of those games where you want to gradually turn the heat up as you advance. Do so at the start and the first enemies will one shot you.

xuerebx

Erudite
That would work I guess but there would still be loads of combat engineers encounters. I stopped playing after the graveyard but it's on me rather than the game - I'm finding it difficult to sustain my interest in RPG's lately (have moved on to nearly exclusively roguelikes).

Anyway with some changes (UI and combat encounters mainly) this game could become really really good.

Falksi

Arcane
Hi, author here.
For those that dislike pixel-art games, I wish you all the best enjoying games that make you feel good.
Pixel Art is close to me heart and brings me joy. For those that like Pixel Art games, I hope you enjoy it at much as I enjoyed making it.

I also have a Facebook, and Twitter in addition to the Youtube channel. Website coming soon.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/CavesOfLore
Discord: https://discord.gg/g7wZp35v
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100087661622808
Any chance of any patches which address the UI and difficulty complaints for your game at any point soon dude?

Naraya

Arcane
That would work I guess but there would still be loads of combat engineers encounters. I stopped playing after the graveyard but it's on me rather than the game - I'm finding it difficult to sustain my interest in RPG's lately (have moved on to nearly exclusively roguelikes).

Anyway with some changes (UI and combat encounters mainly) this game could become really really good.
I used CE to increase the speed of encounters several times (5x IIRC), worked wonders.

xuerebx

Erudite
Pardon my ignorance - but what's CE? I know the in-game option speeds up the combat speed to 2x I think but that's not nearly enough.

Falksi

Arcane
Sank 6 hours into it this week and it really hasn't grabbed me. Which is nuts because it ticks all the boxes of a quality CRPG for me, but the combination of awkward UI, excessive loot and lackluster early questing has just made me want to leave it for now and return to it at a later date. There seems to be a real lack of cohesion to a lot of the game's elements, and I'm not really keen on the "I kinda think this...but who knows....I lost my memory!" dialogue from everyone early game.....people have lost their memory.....I get it....there's no need for everyone I speak to for 6 hours to keep ramming that point home, it gets boring.

So yeah, disappointed as it stands. Will give it another chance at a later date.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom