Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Lore - turn-based pixel art RPG inspired by classics

Sacibengala

Prophet
Anyone that bought this game on GOG, the game is up to date? I'll buy it this month, but I need to know if I buy it on GOG, I'll get behind on the updates front.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
Anyone that bought this game on GOG, the game is up to date? I'll buy it this month, but I need to know if I buy it on GOG, I'll get behind on the updates front.
Yes, it's up to date. I update GoG at the same time as Steam. Only Android is a day behind due to time to get builds approved.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
What is the purpose of willpower? I can't find the description of this stat.
Willpower is used to resist certain effects and traps. Abilities and Spells that compel you to move must beat your Willpower.

I'll check the tooltip for willpower, and be sure to add it into the Info section soon.

---

Arcane
Another minor complaint: it should be possible to leave/load another game during combat. Especially on higher difficulty levels, it's a bit tedious (and time-wasting) to be forced to let all your characters die when things turn to shit. It would be much simpler to just load your previous state.

Also: is it normal that, after resting, stealth mode is enabled by default? I didn't notice it at the beginning of the game, but starting from the underground city (sorry, I don't remember the name) it happens all the time.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
Another minor complaint: it should be possible to leave/load another game during combat. Especially on higher difficulty levels, it's a bit tedious (and time-wasting) to be forced to let all your characters die when things turn to shit. It would be much simpler to just load your previous state.

Also: is it normal that, after resting, stealth mode is enabled by default? I didn't notice it at the beginning of the game, but starting from the underground city (sorry, I don't remember the name) it happens all the time.
Sure, you can hit F9 to Quickload. For now, no direct loading but I may add later.
Stealth will go to whatever you have selection before combat or camping. So once you exit you will return to the last state you were in.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is now the Caves of Lore bug reporting and spelling errors thread!
- Monster Lore says Leader + team average in skill description, but doesn't show leader total score. Which is correct?
- Leunamar's Breath cannot rez in a different battle (it can rez outside of battle however). I suspect this is because in-battle it requires a corpse doll to target?
- Airendal has a complete change of tone sometime around the Bleak Halls. Becomes very obvious in Manatite Mines.
- Isobel's Inheretance should be "Isobel's Inheritance".
- In Unlocking Traits info, purcahse should be "purchase".
- In the Info menu under Items > Stashes, the lock section should read "You will have to pick the lock...".

---

Arcane
Sorry to be annoying. I've unlocked the Mighty trait (after having beaten some frogs), but I can't buy it even if I have unspent traits points. Is it normal?

As for stealth, no. When I sleep in the bedroom of Kalindraur, I've no need to activate stealth mode before the sleeping, since it's a safe area; but after I've rested, it's always activated by default. Same for other locations.

Last edited:

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
Sorry to be annoying. I've unlocked the Mighty trait (after having beaten some frogs), but I can't buy it even if I have unspent traits points. Is it normal?

As for stealth, no. When I sleep in the bedroom of Kalindraur, I've no need to activate stealth mode before the sleeping, since it's a safe area; but after I've rested, it's always activated by default. Same for other locations.
I'll look into that Stealth issue. As for Mighty, you have to have 18+ STR to buy, so yes that is normal.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
This is now the Caves of Lore bug reporting and spelling errors thread!
- Monster Lore says Leader + team average in skill description, but doesn't show leader total score. Which is correct?
- Leunamar's Breath cannot rez in a different battle (it can rez outside of battle however). I suspect this is because in-battle it requires a corpse doll to target?
- Airendal has a complete change of tone sometime around the Bleak Halls. Becomes very obvious in Manatite Mines.
- In the Info menu under Items > Stashes, the lock section should read "You will have to pick the lock...".
The Discord is a better place for bug discussion, but I'll go ahead and address these.
It appears you have an out of date version. This has been fixed
This is correct. It requires the body to be in combat.
I'll take a look. Writing is hard =D
I think this was one of those regretful instances where I had to leave the spelling error to prevent messing up item generation in existing games. But I'll take another look.
I'll fix this next patch.
I'll fix this next patch.

Modron

Arcane
Is the dehumidify spell ever actually used for anything, I am at the manatite caves and have used it in just about every body of water I've come across. Did I miss something cool?

Last edited:

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
Is the dehumidify spell ever actually used for anything, I am at the mantite caves and have used it in just about every body of water I've come across. Did I miss something cool?
It's just for visibility, which can be very nice in certain dungeons. But that's it. There are other uses, not implemented yet, for secrets and so forth.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
LoreMaster when are you gonna start working on caves of lore 2?
As soon as people stop sending me spelling error reports =D

Seriously though, I'm just trying to address all the concerns because I don't want to go into a sequel without addressing things that stand out. I have a few more fun things coming up, but then I will begin work. In a way, I'm working on it already by setting the stage. And my brain is abuzz with ideas waiting to come out.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Seriously though, I'm just trying to address all the concerns because I don't want to go into a sequel without addressing things that stand out. I have a few more fun things coming up, but then I will begin work. In a way, I'm working on it already by setting the stage. And my brain is abuzz with ideas waiting to come out.
Is this still a side project and have you been able to fund next games with CoL sales?

Naraya

Arcane

Sure, you can hit F9 to Quickload. For now, no direct loading but I may add later.
Stealth will go to whatever you have selection before combat or camping. So once you exit you will return to the last state you were in.
TIL. I just hit Alt+F4 :-D

Are there respawns btw? Can I grind skills like in a true JRPG?

Anyway, this is pure :incline:

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer

TIL. I just hit Alt+F4 :-D

Are there respawns btw? Can I grind skills like in a true JRPG?

Anyway, this is pure :incline:
There are respawns, but they are slow. You can also grind in the main underground city (at the summoning arena), but exp is 25% less. It works normal rate for upping abilities and spells though.
I'm likely going to add am option for respawn rate in Settings at some point in the near future.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer

Is this still a side project and have you been able to fund next games with CoL sales?
Well, it's not enough to be a full time job. It's still a side project, and I have a normal job and other obligations. Perhaps one day :)

As I said in the review thread, game's very promising Played up until act 2 today and really liking it so far. My only complaint is that the UI needs to be completely scrapped and fully re-implemented.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
1686861064093.png

Dont care about the rest, GOTY material right here

Modron

Arcane
I finished this a few moments ago now attempting to fill out a couple last secrets.
Infested Chambers, I am 4/5 for secrets, got the three rune related ones (2 chests and the obelisk) and the secret room right next to the primary entrance to the place.

There seems to be a chamber in the southwest corner of the Renault Family Crypt I can't reach.

Is there a point to all these angelic statues that I am activating?

Also I feel like I missed a single spell book, got this spell toxic fumes from a staff and haven't come across a book with it yet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom