Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Yosharian

Arcane
Comparing this game to Neuromancer is an insult to Neuromancer

KeAShizuku

Novice
As I understand it Cyberpunk is a pen and paper RPG from the 1980s so it's obviously inspired by Neuromancer, Blade Runner and lots of Japanese anime/manga from the time.

Cologno

Educated
lol, three playthroughs and I never once thought to check Yorinobu's computer on the wall during the Heist (the one that Evelyn goes to to change the mood music in the penthouse investigative BD, and spends a bit of time fiddling with). Turns out it has Saburo Arasaka's diary on an encrypted shard, and there's some nice flavour insight into his thoughts, and a bit more detail about how Hellman squealed about Yorinobu nicking the Relic. But the computer also reveals, in an email exchange between Yorinobu and Netwatch, that Netwatch had already been in contact with Yorinobu, so that must have been where Evelyn got the idea to make a deal with Netwatch.

There really is a hell of a lot of little detail squirreled away in the game, including many cross-connections between characters. The Youtuber Sam Bram is big on joining up the dots. I think a lot of it was unfinished, but there's enough to show they had some quite intricate plans for the game at one time.

You can steal an iguana egg too. I found that out on my last playthrough. Probably well known, but I play blind. Really tempted to do a run to see if it grows.

Quillon

Arcane
lol, three playthroughs and I never once thought to check Yorinobu's computer on the wall during the Heist (the one that Evelyn goes to to change the mood music in the penthouse investigative BD, and spends a bit of time fiddling with). Turns out it has Saburo Arasaka's diary on an encrypted shard, and there's some nice flavour insight into his thoughts, and a bit more detail about how Hellman squealed about Yorinobu nicking the Relic. But the computer also reveals, in an email exchange between Yorinobu and Netwatch, that Netwatch had already been in contact with Yorinobu, so that must have been where Evelyn got the idea to make a deal with Netwatch.
this would be impressive if any of that extra info V gets, get acknowledged by the game/V going forward(?)

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As I understand it Cyberpunk is a pen and paper RPG from the 1980s so it's obviously inspired by Neuromancer, Blade Runner and lots of Japanese anime/manga from the time.
Mike Pondsmith notes Walter Jon Williams's Hardwired as his primary source of inspiration.

t. CP2020 pnp player since 1992.

lightbane

Arcane
There's a supplement for the tabletop game to use Hardwire's setting and rules, so it fits. Hell, part of the official lore has been stoled from Hardwired in a 1:1 basis, such as corpos weaponizing asteroids.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think 'stolen' has an unnecessary negative connotation. As Williams himself wrote that supplement, or co-authored with Pondsmith, I feel safe to say it was used as an inspiration in good terms. Williams even helped play testing CP2013.

Book_cover_hardwired.jpg

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Mike Pondsmith notes Walter Jon Williams's Hardwired as his primary source of inspiration.

t. CP2020 pnp player since 1992.

Hardwired is kind of underrated as a foundational cyberpunk text - I mean, not among those who know, but among the more general public. It set the cyberpunk canon in stone even more than Neuromancer, and is much more of a rollicking good "pulpy," or better to say genre read.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
this would be impressive if any of that extra info V gets, get acknowledged by the game/V going forward(?)

That's what I meant by saying it's unfinished. There's just so much detail left dangling in so many areas that it seems to evidence a monumental construction task having been suddenly dropped, kind of like a Marie Celeste type of vibe. It's like people were in the middle of constructing something big then someone said "that's a wrap" and they had to just finish it and get it out the door.

I suspect that some of the stuff left dangling will be continued on in Orion. One hopes so anyway, one hopes they have time and better organization/management to do the job properly second time around.

Wesp5

Arcane
That's what I meant by saying it's unfinished. There's just so much detail left dangling in so many areas that it seems to evidence a monumental construction task having been suddenly dropped, kind of like a Marie Celeste type of vibe.

Isn't there this huge hotel outside of the city area that you can see with cheats, but which they never integrated in the game, not even in the DLC?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I suspect that some of the stuff left dangling will be continued on in Orion.
You think they'll keep the city map more or less unchanged, just keep adding playable areas?

That will be a hell of a port job to UE5.
Maybe they'll move the story out of Night City? There are so many interesting locations in CP2077 we only hear or read about.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I suspect that some of the stuff left dangling will be continued on in Orion.
You think they'll keep the city map more or less unchanged, just keep adding playable areas?

That will be a hell of a port job to UE5.

I don't know. I should imagine that they'll probably want to take the lessons they learned form making NC and do a bigger and better job of city building but set the game in another big city, another cyberpunk classic like Berlin or Tokyo or something. On the other hand, they might just keep NC as is, have it as a hub, and have the game lean more into the adventure side by having missions hopping all over the globe to smaller locations?

Are there any other cities used in the source material, or is all the source material set in NC? That would probably be the clue.

I think they'd have to build another big city because although this is one of the most replayable games I've ever played precisely because of the size of the setting, its complexity and the random feeling of the various street encounters (in day/night cycle, varieties of approach, etc.) combined with different possible combat playstyles, nevertheless after two and a half playthroughs and a bunch of random noodling around, I'm beginning to get a measure of what is where, and the city is just starting to feel "small" because its geography is starting to become familiar. Once I know it, I should imagine the "magic" will fade. I should think CDPR is aware of that - the city is massive but not the size of a real city, not infinite, it's still a toy city with merely an illusion of size. So they'll probably want to build a newer, bigger and even more impressive place for players to get lost in.

What I doubt they'll do is build NC bigger and better - that would sort of cheapen the current game, and they probably do want to keep selling it as is for as long as they can (it's had a good afterlife so far :) ).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Wrote a fairly big review/analysis
It's big enough that it exceeds the Steam character limit. Read it on my Substack -

https://qorachius.substack.com/p/cyberpunk2077

I like the way you consider the Devil ending to be not as gloomy as most others think. For either a good or bad character it's probably the best ending, because it's pretty much a guarantee of immortality from the people who designed the technology, especially if they sort out the cloning problem (but even if they don't), and since Hanako offers her services to the surviving V in some of the aftermath calls, it's obvious that your services as a resurrected evil merc would be desired, while if you're a good guy who still wants to take down Arasaka or whatever, well you have all the time in the world to dissimulate and plan it out :)

There's a hint of a Black Mirror type of horror scenario with the digitized rich and/or with you if you sign up - e.g. working as a digital slave or whatever - but I think that's a red herring. For the digitized rich, I think Saburo wants to have an immortal "court" that's loyal to him, and immortality for the richest and most successful would pretty much guarantee their loyalty once resurrected, while for such as yourself, it's the same type of idea. You've proven yourself and even to some extent shown loyalty to Arasaka, so it's far more likely that your resurrection as an effective merc (getting even better via the experience of an immortal) would be useful to Arasaka.

Finally, finally got around to playing this, it's OK until I got to 'The Heist' part of the main quest: Jesus Christ it's like a 3 hour movie, it's cut scene hell. Any more of these in game movies?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom