Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

certain kind of niche

Looking for tactical games that are about:
- controlling small number of specialized units, but the gameplay isn't focused on stealth so no games like Commando or Desperados,
- real time gameplay, titles like X-com are a no no,
- no full blown rpgs or rts like baldurs or starcrafts, but it could have some light elements of both, just no heavy focus on base building/resource management or entering a city and talking to npc for 3 hours straight

What I'm thinking about are games like Rage of Mages 1 & 2, Myth 1, 2 & 3, Dawn of War 2 or even some of the stages in Warcraft 3 where there was limited units to control and no base building.

Are there any other titles like that worth checking out?

spectre

Arcane
I was going to recommend Silent Storm, but then I noticed you being a homosexual about real time.
Then I wanted to recommend Soldiers: Heroes of World War II, but noticed you're being a homosexual about stealth.
Perhaps Fallout Tactics, switch to real time? You brought this on yourself. But perhaps it can convert you into the right path.

If Dow2 is your thing, you might go all the way with Company of Heroes (Part 1 specifically as well as some expansions, there are missions with no base building)
perhaps Codename Panzers.
Ancestors Legacy also likes to emulate coh/dow2 gameplay without guns. I remember it had a very atmospheric introductory mission with no base building,
but then devolved.

If you're willing to accept RTwP as a sensible compromise, this opens up 7.62 High Calibre, and in the same vein - UFO Aftermath, Afterlight, Aftershock.

EDIT: Just remembered a few rts from back in the day, so updating the list with War Wind, Blood and Magic, Mechcommander.
I very vaguely recall people splurging over Black Moon Chronicles, but I cannot for the life of me remember its scale.
The Spellforce series seems to shift between RTS and RPG, so might check this out.
I would also reluctantly add Iron Harvest for completion's sake, but I think it's a crap game with crap mission design.

EDIT2: How does the plan and execute gameplay from the first Rainbow Six sound?
This opens up a can of worms for WEGO. I have good memories of Battle Bugs from way back when, but there's been some offerings
along the way: Door Kickers, Frozen Synapse, Phantom Brigade (interesting concept, but not a good game in the long run), also that wego xcom clone from ~2000 whose name eludes me.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
-Door Kicker 1 & 2

-Aarklash: Legacy

-Nordic Warriors

-Strain Tactics (controls on this are horrible jank)
-Cannon Fodder 1 & 2
-Mech Commander 1 &2
-Magic & Mayhem
-Syndicate, Syndicate Wars
-Freedom Force
also that wego xcom clone from ~2000 whose name eludes me.
Sounds like UFO: Afterlight, Aftershock or Aftermath

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arklash Legacy, Freedom Force, Mech Commander, Ground Control and its brother, World in Conflict are all solid recommendations.
Black Moon Chronicles is very cool, but the AI is so abysmal, with inexistant pathfinding, that I wouldn't recommend it.
You didn't say it had to have ground troops, right? Then Battlefleet Gothic 1/2 could work, or Nexus: the Jupiter Incident. You also have the Star Wolves series with a splash of light RPG.
Praetorian and Legion: Gold would work too I think?
Men of War: Assault Squad 2 is pretty popular, but it has insane micro requirements.

If you are willing to go full Wargame, you could go with the Close Combat series, or the Graviteam one (they are a bit more modern). The new Combat Mission games also have a RT mode.
You also have Eugen's Wargame series, but it may have too large a scale to qualify.

Now, as for obscure recommandations:
Soldiers of Anarchy was a post apocalyptic RT game in which you led a squad of survivors. You could steal APC for your enemy.

std::namespace

oh shit a myth clone!
s9DCAV7.png

1man job damn
w5APbRH.png

cDgcCRi.png

now making survival crafting shovelware in liminal spaces kek
TAkKz1F.png

Cologno

Educated
If you don't mind wargames a little age, Close Combat series (highly recommend 3) or newer, Armored Brigade (first one). CC3 has stats, but you can potentially carry the same personnel throughout the campaign which is neat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom