Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Champions of Krynn or Pool of Radiance?

Which saga should I play?

• Champions of Krynn

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Pool of Radiance

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

n0wh3r3

Novice
It's finally time to get on some gold classic which I never played before. But which of the two should I choose?

Also, is anybody able to tell me if the Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures is compatible with the custom modules? The community is still active! http://frua.rosedragon.org/

Thanks a lot. I count on your advice.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Pool of Radiance, though the DOS version doesn't have mouse support and is best played with a keyboard that has a number pad for easy diagonal attacks.

It isn't anywhere near as visually appealing as the later games, and the interface is relatively cumbersome but I think it is the overall best game with especially novel concepts which appear right at the beginning such as how you can be given commissions from the city clerk, and clearing out the "old city" feels almost archaeological in approach. Just overall it is a fantastic adventure with brilliant combat.

And yes the Unlimited Adventures is compatible with custom modules, that is basically what the game is intended for. If you use Gold Box Companion it even comes with a frontend that will download and setup the modules for you, including engine hacked modules. You could even play Pool or Radiance in the FRUA engine, with mouse support and all! But then you wouldn't be able to import your party into Curse of the Azure Bonds... or at least, I don't think you can? I never actually looked into it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's finally time to get on some gold classic which I never played before. But which of the two should I choose?

Also, is anybody able to tell me if the Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures is compatible with the custom modules? The community is still active! http://frua.rosedragon.org/

Thanks a lot. I count on your advice.
Pool of Radiance is the single best Gold Box game, but Death Knights of Krynn is second best, and the Dragonlance trilogy overall is stronger than the Forgotten Realms quartet. I recommend playing Pool of Radiance, then completing the Dragonlance trilogy starting with Champions of Krynn.

The Limper

Educated
The Krynn series has better class options for the Demi-human races, with better level caps and more options…. and of course the wonderful Kender and his ‘Taunt’ ability. It has the Knight class. You can build Silvanesti Elf Pallys and Mountain Dwarf Pallys in the 2nd and 3rd installments of the trilogy. Lots of party options….

The FR series allows for half-elf and human clerics. The half-elfs cap at level 3 spells. No dwarven clerics. You end up with mainly single class characters in the first 2 games and several dual class by end of SotSB.

I prefer the Krynn games. GBC handles both sets of games, but no mods for Krynn with FRUA….

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday.
I love the Buck Rogers games so much, and I think they are the best looking out of all the games.

It was very cool that they implemented space combat though it isn't done very well, and I really like getting to level up so many skills.

But ultimately the actual Gold Box games are better. I know it isn't as popular but I've always felt a special fondness for Gateway to the Savage Frontier.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday.
I love the Buck Rogers games so much, and I think they are the best looking out of all the games.

It was very cool that they implemented space combat though it isn't done very well, and I really like getting to level up so many skills.

But ultimately the actual Gold Box games are better. I know it isn't as popular but I've always felt a special fondness for Gateway to the Savage Frontier.
Gateway to the Savage Frontier is just as good as the rest and deserves mention more often, agree there. It was the first one I completed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom