Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character generation specifics? (No, not FaceGen)

galsiah

Erudite
I've checked around a bit, but can't find much specific explanation of character generation. If I've missed it, please point me there.

What (I think) we know so far:
40 points to distribute between 6 attributes (which never change thereafter).
Choice of gender (doesn't make much difference).
Choice of background (affects starting guild (if any), and reputations).
No class. No race.
Skill points allocated directly.

Where the answers aren't closely guarded future exclusive interview secrets, it'd be nice to know some of the following:
(*) Restrictions on initial attributes. Maximum 10? Minimum...? Any other restrictions?
(*) How is skill point allocation handled? Is it a question of distributing X points between all skills in any way desired, or are there restrictions?
(*) How many initial skill points are there to allocate?
(*) Is there a maximum value for starting skills? A minimum?
(*) Are any skills tagged etc. (as in Fallout) so that they become easier to develop?
(*) Does anything else (e.g. attributes, initial skill) make some skills faster to increase than others?
(*) Does background define initial equipment (if any)? Do skills? Or something else?
(*) Would it be fair to say that initial attribute choice is much more important long-term than initial skill choice?
(*) Are there any other character generation choices to be made (e.g. initial traits)?

And one character progression question:
(*) Are there any direct character stat choices to be made in game apart from skill point allocation, or does everything else (e.g. new traits...) happen as a result of game world decisions?

Any other thoughts?
Thanks.

Lumpy

Arcane
Also, does your background affect your starting skills?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
galsiah said:
40 points to distribute between 6 attributes (which never change thereafter).
Correct.

Choice of gender (doesn't make much difference).
There is a difference and some gender checks. Female assassins can kill with a poison kiss (dialogue option, alchemy skills and certain alchemy techniques required)

Choice of background (affects starting guild (if any), and reputations).
Correct.

No class. No race.Skill points allocated directly.
Yep.

(*) Restrictions on initial attributes. Maximum 10? Minimum...? Any other restrictions?
Min 4, Max 10, no other restrictions.

(*) How is skill point allocation handled? Is it a question of distributing X points between all skills in any way desired, or are there restrictions?
No restrictions. Any way desired.

INT x 2

Nope. Starting skills value is determined by attributes, i.e. STR x 3 + Dex

(*) Are any skills tagged etc. (as in Fallout) so that they become easier to develop?
Nope.

(*) Does anything else (e.g. attributes, initial skill) make some skills faster to increase than others?
Nope.

(*) Does background define initial equipment (if any)? Do skills? Or something else?
Minor skill bonuses and equipment. Thief gets lockpicks, a dagger, and a rope, for example.

(*) Would it be fair to say that initial attribute choice is much more important long-term than initial skill choice?
What does initial skill choice mean? Anyway, initially your stats are very important, however, as the game progresses and your skills develop, the importance will slowly shift from attributes to skills. There are some stat checks though for actions that don't have skills: bashing, climbing, pushing, noticing, handling poison, etc

(*) Are there any other character generation choices to be made (e.g. initial traits)?
No. You earn different traits in the game.

(*) Are there any direct character stat choices to be made in game apart from skill point allocation, or does everything else (e.g. new traits...) happen as a result of game world decisions?
As a result of game world decisons.

Lumpy said:
Also, does your background affect your starting skills?
Yes, you get bonuses.

galsiah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
INT x 2
Nope. Starting skills value is determined by attributes, i.e. STR x 3 + Dex
I see - I should have thought of that possibility. I had presumed that initial skills were largely player chosen, rather than calculated from attributes. That answers my attribute vs skill question, since they're really the same choice (apart from the 2xINT, which won't be significant long term I guess).

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
There is a difference and some gender checks. Female assassins can kill with a poison kiss (dialogue option, alchemy skills and certain alchemy techniques required)
And male assassins can't kill a woman with a poison kiss?

denizsi

Arcane

And male assassins can't kill a woman with a poison kiss?

Indeed, and what about gays? Men kissing men, women kissing women? For a comparison, ancient Greece had quite many gays, as far as I know :P

Mantiis

Cipher
ancient Greece had quite many gays, as far as I know

Common mistake that it was limited to the Greek City states. Hell it was suggested that Ceaser was King Kicomedes IV Philopator's bitch.

suibhne

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
galsiah said:
Min 4, Max 10, no other restrictions.

Why isn't the scale just from 1 to 7, then? ("But...this one goes to 10!" :wink: ) Is it a matter of balancing the PC with all of the NPCs in the gameworld?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1-10 range is easier to understand than 1-5 or 1-7. You know exactly where you stand and what 7/10 is. 1/7 is too vague. Why 4 is the limit? Well, I think that characters with stats below 4 are terminally ill or fucked up in other ways people, and they are physically and/or mentally unfit to go adventuring.

MacBone

Scholar
In other words, a INT 1 character wouldn't get very far in AoD, eh? Actually, he's probably wander around, drool a lot, and do little else.

ad hominem

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
1-10 range is easier to understand than 1-5 or 1-7. You know exactly where you stand and what 7/10 is. 1/7 is too vague. Why 4 is the limit? Well, I think that characters with stats below 4 are terminally ill or fucked up in other ways people, and they are physically and/or mentally unfit to go adventuring.
That makes sense, but drawing from another thread I would be interested to see what would happen to a character with only 1 luck point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom