Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ChatGPT VS game journo reviews

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This topic is just to show that ChatGPT can write better reviews than game journalists. Some examples :

Kingmaker :

game journalist said:
Hitting the swarms doesn’t actually do any damage. It’s all reduced to zero, every time. Maybe you need a mage! So, I wander around, do some story missions, recruit a mage, and start splashing the Spider Swarms with acid … and still nothing. I go up a level or two and recruit a full party, and those fucking spiders still massacre my party every single fucking time(...) Spider Swarms are vulnerable only to splash damage
https://venturebeat.com/pc-gaming/t...kingmaker-shows-the-value-of-a-dungeon-master

chatGPT said:
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a role-playing game developed by Owlcat Games that is based on the Pathfinder tabletop role-playing game system. The game is set in the Stolen Lands, a region of the Pathfinder universe that is rich with lore and detail.

Overall, I found Pathfinder: Kingmaker to be an enjoyable and immersive RPG. The game offers a vast amount of content and options for players, from creating a custom character and party to managing a kingdom. The game's graphics are beautiful and detailed, with the environments feeling alive and realistic. The sound design is also well-done, with fitting music and sound effects.

The combat system in Pathfinder: Kingmaker is complex and requires strategic planning. There are a variety of classes and abilities to choose from, and players must consider their character's strengths and weaknesses when engaging in combat. The game also offers a real-time-with-pause option or turn-based combat, which allows players to choose their preferred style of play.

One of the strengths of Pathfinder: Kingmaker is its story and characters. The game features a well-written and engaging main storyline, with interesting characters and factions. The game also has a variety of side quests and activities that allow players to explore the world and learn more about its inhabitants.

However, the game does have some flaws. The difficulty curve can be steep at times, and some of the encounters can feel unfair or unbalanced. Additionally, the game's kingdom management system can be overwhelming and confusing at first, although it does add a unique layer to the game.

Overall, Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a well-crafted RPG that offers a vast amount of content and options for players. The game's graphics and sound design are excellent, and the story and characters are engaging. Despite some flaws, I would recommend this game to anyone looking for an immersive and challenging RPG experience.

--------------------

Baldur's Gate :

Game journo :

chatGPT said:
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is a classic role-playing game that has been updated for modern systems. The game was developed by Beamdog and published by Atari, and is a remastered version of the original Baldur's Gate game released in 1998.

The game's graphics have been updated to support high resolutions, making the game look great on modern monitors. The game's sound design has also been enhanced, with new voice acting and updated music. These changes give the game a fresh feel, while still retaining the classic gameplay that made the original game so beloved.

The gameplay of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is similar to the original, with players controlling a party of adventurers as they explore the game's world, complete quests, and engage in battles. The game's combat is tactical and challenging, requiring players to use strategy and careful planning to overcome their enemies. The game's character creation and leveling systems are also deep and complex, allowing players to create unique and personalized characters.

The game's story and characters are also well-crafted and engaging. The game takes place in the Forgotten Realms setting, a popular Dungeons & Dragons universe, and the world is rich with lore and detail. The game's quests and dialogue are well-written, and the characters are memorable and distinct.

One of the strengths of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is its replayability. The game has multiple paths and choices that can be made, leading to different outcomes and endings. The game's difficulty can also be adjusted, allowing players to choose a level of challenge that suits their playstyle.

Overall, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is a great game that has been updated for modern systems without sacrificing the elements that made the original game so great. The game's graphics, sound design, and gameplay have all been improved, while still retaining the classic RPG elements that fans of the genre love. If you are a fan of role-playing games or are looking for a classic game with modern updates, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is definitely worth playing.

UnderRail

rock paper shotgun game journo said:
I've played for dozens of hours according to in-game timers (which don't account for time lost to undone dead ends and the many, many reloads), and I still have very little idea what the plot is. I'm a new person joining a settlement, presumably for reasons.(...)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/underrail-indie-rpg-review

ChatGPT said:
UnderRail is a post-apocalyptic role-playing game developed by Stygian Software and released in 2015. The game takes place in a vast underground network of tunnels and stations that serve as the last refuge for humanity after a catastrophic event on the surface.

One of the most impressive aspects of UnderRail is its detailed and immersive world-building. The game's setting is richly imagined, with each station and tunnel feeling like a distinct and living place with its own culture, history, and challenges. The game's lore is extensive and well-crafted, and the game does an excellent job of gradually revealing it through exploration and conversations with NPCs.

The game's mechanics are also very well designed. Combat is turn-based and tactical, with a focus on positioning and using the environment to gain an advantage. The character progression system is deep and customizable, with a variety of skills, abilities, and perks to choose from. The game also offers a crafting system, allowing players to create their own weapons, armor, and other items.
One downside to UnderRail is that it can be quite challenging, particularly in the early game. The game is unforgiving, and mistakes can lead to quick deaths. However, for players who enjoy a tough challenge and strategic gameplay, this can be a plus.
Overall, UnderRail is an excellent game that offers a richly imagined world, engaging gameplay, and a deep and satisfying character progression system. It is a must-play for fans of post-apocalyptic RPGs and tactical combat games.

--------------------------------------------------

I could find other examples, but is clear. ChatGPT seems better at writing reviews than game journos.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The ChatGPT text reads like some high-school kid got a homework assignment to "write a review about a game you like".

Dave the Druid

Educated
Writing better than game "journalists" isn't exactly a massive achievement.
It really isn't too hard:
RXPw85v.jpg

Oe02Nm0.png

Yosharian

Arcane
The ChatGPT articles are very generic-sounding but they are quite accurate.

I wonder what responses you might get if you put in more parameters. E.g. write in the style of XYZ.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
ChatGPT writes in the same awful style each time. "While it is true that...", "However...", "Overall..." (even used this one twice in your first essay).

Sounds like a particularly retarded kid who was given a list of "words to use in essays" by their teacher.

Yosharian

Arcane
ChatGPT writes in the same awful style each time. "While it is true that...", "However...", "Overall..." (even used this one twice in your first essay).

Sounds like a particularly retarded kid who was given a list of "words to use in essays" by their teacher.
It's called standard English, it's not awful it's just generic, almost like it was written by, I dunno, a COMPUTER

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It's called standard English, it's not awful it's just generic, almost like it was written by, I dunno, a COMPUTER
"Standard English" isn't the name of a writing style, moron. That just means it doesn't speak in fucking ebonics.

And yes, no shit it was written by a computer. The discussion is about how good the computer's writing is vs humans. Are you trying to embody the retard I described, or why is reading such an issue for you?

Laz Sundays

Educated
The ChatGPT text reads like some high-school kid got a homework assignment to "write a review about a game you like".
What else would it sound like? It's still learning. Much like how foreigner's posts sound.

Yosharian

Arcane

"Standard English" isn't the name of a writing style, moron. That just means it doesn't speak in fucking ebonics.

And yes, no shit it was written by a computer. The discussion is about how good the computer's writing is vs humans. Are you trying to embody the retard I described, or why is reading such an issue for you?
I don't know, why do you talk to people like a little bitch? Maybe you could learn a little something from the computer.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I don't know, why do you talk to people like a little bitch? Maybe you could learn a little something from the computer.
I can see why you like the bot so much if it responds with 10x more coherency and context-awareness than you ever have.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That literally was a childish insult. You're so illiterate that you can't even tell when you're being insulted. Unbelievable.

Reinhardt

Arcane
"every gaem iz 10/10!"
ai shit is boooooring. it's not review, it's just description from the store.

why don't you ask for reviews for games you DON'T like and then post them here?

Even if those human reviews were made by people who should have never written about games I still prefer them to the coldness and mediocrity of AI written ones. Look at the review in which journo didn't realize how he could defeat the swarm in Kingmaker. It tells me more about the game and if I would enjoy it than those boring ChatGPT written one. When reading those AI reviews I was already forgetting what I had read in last sentence. I am sure that anyone who got to my post had already AI reviews completely evaporated from their head.

AI reviews may be less triggering than the journo trash in OP examples, but this is a result coming from AI lacking any real opinion about the games. It's like how Marvel movies may be not triggering, not because they are good, but because they were focus tested so much that they are empty inside.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"every gaem iz 10/10!"

ChatGPT criticized some games that I like. And lets try Diablo 3 :

ChatGPT - D3 said:
One of the most significant issues with Diablo III is its lack of replay value. While the game features multiple character classes and difficulty levels, the overall gameplay remains largely the same regardless of which class or difficulty level you choose. Once you've completed the game once, there's not much incentive to play through it again.

Another issue with the game is its lack of customization options. While players can choose from a variety of character classes, the game's skill system is relatively limited, and there are only a few viable builds for each class. Additionally, the game's itemization system is heavily dependent on randomized loot drops, which can be frustrating for players looking for specific items or builds.

The game's graphics and sound design, while impressive at first, can quickly become repetitive and uninspiring. The game's environments are largely static and lack the interactivity and destructibility of modern games, and the sound effects and music can become grating over time.

One of the game's most significant flaws, however, is its reliance on an always-online connection. This means that players cannot play the game without an active internet connection, even if they're playing solo. This can be a significant issue for players who don't have reliable internet access or who prefer to play offline.

Finally, the game's real-money auction house, which allowed players to buy and sell in-game items for real money, was controversial and eventually removed from the game. This system encouraged a pay-to-win mentality and created an unfair advantage for players who were willing to spend real money on in-game items.

In conclusion, while Diablo III is undoubtedly a popular game with its strengths, it also has significant weaknesses that can detract from the overall gaming experience. The lack of replay value, limited customization options, repetitive graphics and sound design, always-online requirement, and the controversial real-money auction house all contribute to a less-than-stellar gaming experience.

s I still prefer them to the coldness and mediocrity of AI written ones. Look at the review in which journo didn't realize how he could defeat the swarm in Kingmaker. It tells me more about the game and if I would enjoy it than those boring ChatGPT written one

Yep. Nice point.

The fact that game journos get butthurt about it makes me realize that the game is good.

Mortmal

Arcane
Chat gpt can write truly good reviews indeed :

Kingmaker is a role-playing video game developed by Owlcat Games that takes place in the fantasy world of Golarion. The game offers an immersive experience with rich storytelling, complex characters, and engaging exploration. However, the game's departure from Pathfinder's tabletop rules and the overtuning of monsters and NPC stats has left some fans of the system disappointed.

One of the key issues with Kingmaker is that it does not follow the Pathfinder tabletop guidelines. Additionally, the game is real-time with pause, which means that it lacks the depth and complexity of a true turn-based tabletop RPG. This can be disappointing for fans who value strategic depth and tactical gameplay in their RPG experiences.

Moreover, the game's combat encounters are frequently criticized for their overtuned enemies and challenging difficulty. Many players have reported that monsters and NPCs are much stronger than their tabletop counterparts, making combat encounters frustrating and punishing. This can be particularly frustrating for players who are looking for a strategic and tactical RPG experience that requires careful planning and execution.

The turn-based mode of the game is a far cry from a true tabletop experience, which can be disappointing for fans of the system. The lack of turn-based gameplay and strategic depth means that the game may not be suitable for players who value these elements in their RPG experiences.

In conclusion, Kingmaker is a game that will only please people with low expectations, like those on the RPGCodex forum. The game's departure from Pathfinder's tabletop rules, the overtuning of monsters and NPC stats, the lack of depth in the real-time with pause combat system, and the lackluster turn-based mode mean that the game may not appeal to players looking for a true tabletop experience or strategic depth in their RPGs. However, for players who are willing to overlook these issues, Kingmaker can still provide an engaging RPG experience with excellent storytelling and world-building.

Mortmal

Arcane
Solasta: Crown of the Magister is a tactical RPG developed by Tactical Adventures that attempts to bring the tabletop experience to video games. However, the game's implementation of encounters often results in them being too easy, which can be a significant issue for players who value strategic and tactical gameplay in their RPG experiences.

One of the primary issues with Solasta is that it often does not follow the guidelines of tabletop RPGs when planning encounters. As a result, many players have reported that the encounters in the game are often too easy, with little challenge or strategy required to defeat enemies.

Furthermore, the game's difficulty modes have been criticized for their lack of depth. Players have reported that higher difficulty modes are merely a matter of enemies having more HP, rather than offering a more challenging and strategic gameplay experience. This can be particularly frustrating for players who are looking for a game that requires careful planning and execution in order to succeed.

There are some excellent mods produced by the modder Artyoan, which can add additional challenge to the game. However, even these mods often suffer from the same issue of being too difficult followed by a need for rest, which can lead to a tedious gameplay experience. This can be satisfying for players who enjoy a grind and an "eat all you want" buffet-style gameplay experience, rather than a more nuanced and sophisticated experience.

In conclusion, Solasta: Crown of the Magister can be an enjoyable experience for players who have low expectations, such as those on the RPGCodex forum. However, the game's implementation of encounters often results in them being too easy, and the lack of depth in the game's difficulty modes can be frustrating for players looking for a more strategic and tactical experience. The game's modding community can provide additional challenge, but even these mods often end up being tedious and lacking in nuance. Overall, Solasta is a good game, but it falls short of the expectations of some tabletop RPG fans who value strategy and tactical gameplay in their RPG experiences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom