Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Chefe does Fallout 3

almondblight

Arcane
Darkness40k said:
And the speech skill checks SUCK. As does Black Widow, and Child at heart. These 3 do one thing, SHORTEN quests. You can solve the megaton quest by missing out on a large part of it, you can get into littletown thingie without having to go to the slavers, you can get the info from 3 dog without having to repait his dish... missing out on CONTENT. Whats the point on a skill that removes the game?

Ummm...that's like every single fucking game with speech check. Which is why I think it kinda sucks but people here like it, for some reason.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
almondblight said:
Ummm...that's like every single fucking game with speech check. Which is why I think it kinda sucks but people here like it, for some reason.
usually checks allow you access to something you could not access otherwise, more or less equivalent alternate paths, or fleshing out of your character.

the skipping in fo3 is rather funny though. the whole let's find out about my father quest basically serves as an introduction to the major locations, but you can easily skip it unknowingly by exploring certain locations, without having the option to do it regardless, leaving you pretty clueless after a while. a nice contrast to the otherwise excessive handholding.

spectre

Arcane
It's clearly seen in the Blood Ties Quest, if you get the password via Lady Killer/Black Widow, and never actually speak with whathisface, the head "vampire", you never actually get to him to tell you the background as to what the family actually is. Worse, the game actually behaves as if he told you.

Personally, I don't mind if it shortens quests, as long as it doesn't mess with the dialogues like that. If the quest is cut was basically: Go, Egor, bring me a pillow, that's actualyy for the best.

Gwendo

Augur
Fallout 3 is out and is not as bad as the Codex thought it would be.

Now the Codex is confused, with no other game to channel their hatred.

A new RPG should be announced soon, so that The Codex can resume its cause of existence.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Gwendo said:
A new RPG should be announced soon, so that The Codex can resume it's cause of existence.
Meanwhile we can resort to bitching about how kids these days can't differentiate between "it's" and "its" :wink:

Gwendo

Augur
Elwro said:
Gwendo said:
A new RPG should be announced soon, so that The Codex can resume its cause of existence.
Meanwhile we can resort to bitching about how kids these days can't differentiate between "it's" and "its" :wink:

What do you mean? :D

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Congratulations Chefe, you actually managed to make me curious if it might interest me in any way. Quite a feat considering I disliked all I heard about it, I hate oblivion and that all the gameplay vids I saw made me do :facepalm.

Perhaps I'll go and give it a try.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Gwendo said:

Deus Ex 3

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Cloaked Figure said:
Dicksmoker said:
Gwendo said:

Deus Ex 3

fuckin copycat

From what?

Cuther

Novice
Gwendo said:

It is not that bad, but it isn't far from what I imagined. It is still full of blandness, unfunny gameplay, dullness, bad dialogues, inconsistencies, and a good measure of good ol' bethesda branded stupidity. They still raped the saga (but honestly the have been raping it since fallout 2.... it must be the favourite pasttime of the videogame industry, "rape the fallout franchise". And also everyone seems to agree with this)

This is oblivion: episode one, only slightly less bland.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Fallout 3 is a poor attempt at an FPS (because it sure as shit doesn't feel like an RPG) and it fails at that. I got bored quickly, and stopped playing. Where the hell was all the good dialogue and, contrary to what Chefe claims, I saw no evidence of consequences to my actions. Good thing I removed it from inventory. Good choice there, on my part. I always did like demos; found them to be very telling.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Fallout 3 is a poor attempt at an FPS (because it sure as shit doesn't feel like an RPG) and it fails at that. I got bored quickly, and stopped playing. Where the hell was all the good dialogue and, contrary to what Chefe claims, I saw no evidence of consequences to my actions. Good thing I removed it from inventory. Good choice there, on my part. I always did like demos; found them to be very telling.

elander_

Arbiter
almondblight said:
Darkness40k said:
And the speech skill checks SUCK. As does Black Widow, and Child at heart. These 3 do one thing, SHORTEN quests. You can solve the megaton quest by missing out on a large part of it, you can get into littletown thingie without having to go to the slavers, you can get the info from 3 dog without having to repait his dish... missing out on CONTENT. Whats the point on a skill that removes the game?

That's actually a great point that Darkness40k has brought here and not every skill check has to be like that as you can see for yourself in several examples from the Codex reference crpgs.

You can look at quests as the basic unit to create choices. Every quest has skill, attr, faction requirements without those you won't even get the quest. Then a quest has several stages that can be reached from using different abilities and skills and if the quest is very good it will have multiple resolutions or endings.

In terms of consequences it's rare for it affect things outside the quest besides raising some stat, get some xp, changing your stance with a faction or getting some new greetings in dialog as a reaction. Once the quest is over anything you did and how you did has little recognition or impact anywhere else. This is encapsulated quest design and it sucks.

Fallout 1 and 2 did more than this and things you do in a quest will often have an impact in other places and npcs in other places will recognize that and will unlock other quests for you. And this is what i don't see generalized in Fallout 3 and what makes it's c&c barely above the NWN series. OK they have skill checks in dialogs and perhaps you can play the game without using your combat skills, which is awesome considering how shitty the combat feels, but they could have done much better than this and create Fallout c&c with a little more effort.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

Chefe

Erudite

DefJam101

Arcane
Chefe does Fallout 3 is a poor attempt at a review (because it sure as shit doesn't feel like a narrative) and it fails at that. I got bored quickly, and stopped reading. Where the hell was all the good criticism and, contrary to what Chefe claims, I saw no evidence of him having an English degree. Good thing I made Microsoft Sam read it for me. Good choice there, on my part. I always did like computer voices; found them to be very telling.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
wow, that pile of crap is one fine example of shitty writing. For the sake of the codex, take that abomination off the front page, a normal forum post would have suficied...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Chefe said:
A puzzle

tuollaftluaviregnar
dlorahmabmobraelcun
onerwenohcytehtstav
hcaordarretsamluohg
foyobpipnaigmsidnat
tnatumeritashsedara
You spelt douche wrong.

Chefe

Erudite
I missed you, Tintin. Why did you leave me?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom