Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Chinatown Detective Agency - cybernoir point-and-click adventure inspired by Carmen Sandiego

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ective-agency-globetrotting-mystery-adventure

https://www.generalinteractive.co/cda

https://af.gog.com/game/chinatown_detective_agency?as=1649904300

Chinatown Detective Agency, cyberpunk-y mystery adventure set in Singapore, inspired by the Carmen Sandiego games:

ss_9ac11629bc9beaf541dfec49b2b720896520cf12.600x338.jpg
ss_63e8b271f900bf37566fa0041882d79d1c99ba16.600x338.jpg

Singapore. 2032.

The world is in a state of chaotic flux as the global economy is nearing the nadir of its decade-long downward spiral. Singapore is one of the last refuges of relative order, but even here, the government is struggling to keep the nation state from the brink of collapse. Law enforcement, like most public services, is underfunded. Private Detectives are becoming the first option for citizens who can afford a semblance of justice.

Enter Amira Darma, once a rising star at INTERPOL. She has just set up shop as a Private Investigator in the heart of Chinatown, and her first client is about to walk through her office doors...

Inspired by the Carmen Sandiego games of the late 80s and 90s, Chinatown Detective Agency is a mystery adventure game that has you traveling across Singapore and all over the world in hot pursuit of criminals, persons of interest and valuable objects. Research answers to the clues and leads you'll unravel as you take on cases from clients both well-intentioned and shadowy.

Along the way, you'll untangle a web of conspiracies and plots that threaten to push the Lion City over the edge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-a-stylish-promising-point-and-click-sleuther

Chinatown Detective Agency is a stylish, promising point-and-click sleuther
Forget it, Jake...

An early puzzle in Chinatown Detective Agency's brief but engrossing demo revolves around a classic quote from the work of Herodotus, the Ancient Greek historian. Am I that easy to manipulate, I thought? Is that all it takes to get me going? A knowing, philosophical chin-stroke from the distant past, amongst some stylish neon lights in the near future? Honestly: yes. You got me. I'm a sucker for a philosophical deep cut, me - especially when it's all jumbled in with the murkier kind of sci-fi - and actually I think I'm quite happy that way.

References seemingly laser-targeted to my own personal interests aside, there was something genuinely interesting about that puzzle: you have to Google it to find the answer. Chinatown Detective Agency, currently in an early alpha with a new Kickstarter just recently underway, is pitched around the promise of breaking through the fourth wall and getting you to do some good-old-fashioned snooping for yourself. You take the role of a PI called Amira Darma, struggling along in a gorgeously envisioned Chinatown, Singapore, the last semi-refuge of the world's crashed economy. Like any great detective noir, a quick and easy job quickly sucks you into a deeper web of conspiracy, and off through the looking glass you go.

When it comes to the puzzles themselves, the ones I found in the demo were pretty tentative. I had to Google the Herodotus quote (the shame!) to find the name of the book I was looking for - a trail of clues had led me first to the quote, then the local library, see - but the others were comfortable enough in being solvable while still inside the game itself. But still, outside of just jotting a note or turning to the big G, there are other bits of admin you'll need to manage. The game is played through a kind of windowed overlay, which features key information like the amount of cash you have to hand, the time and date, and some basics about the mission, but those seemingly innocuous elements are all actually quite integral.

Time and money are resources you'll need to manage carefully, with Chinatown Detective Agency's pitch for realism coming via the logistics of going about real life - waiting at the airport if you get to your flight too early, for instance - rather than the way the real world looks. In a way, it's a kind of realism I'd rather spend my time playing than the literal one. It's about thinking more closely to how an actual investigator would, and by virtue of that the game's staid, if lavishly structured pixel-art environments - tableaus, as the blurb likes to call them - invite as great a sense of immersion as any photoreal alternative could too.

jpg

Chinatown Detective Agency is currently slated for release PC and Mac, some time in late 2020 or early 2021, with a Switch port a possibility.

There is a lot here, potentially. A lot to hope for in terms of how the everyday restraints of practical things like time and money interplay with your chance to investigate. A lot to hope for in how the narrative, which seems to tease a typically juicy tale of transhumanist conflict and existential angst (a noir and sci-fi staple), might develop. And a lot to hope for in how you might be challenged and pulled outside of the regular point-and-click adventure beats by its puzzles, like I was with my little love-in with Herodotus. For now, it is just potential. The demo is tantalisingly brief and never quite gets going. But then for this early stage, potential is plenty.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
played this for an hour or so, still don't know if it's good or not.

the positive is it seems open ended, and there's time/money management so in the end of case one, your guy escaped to other country which he left a code for clue of his whereabouts. there is a flight booking menu and you have to put the right city and if you're wrong you are gonna lose money and time, dunno what is the failstate is like (for example you run out of money) , but i do like you can fail.

unsure: the game literally tell you to google stuff. Darth Roxor said this in adventure game news thread. i am still not sure if this is a bad mechanic or not. it's not a good mechanic for sure, but the implementation makes sense since google / search engine exist in the game's setting so it's justified since the process of the character using google at the moment it's needed is the same as i would do in real life. for example, the usage for the first time is to find an author of a quote, the game literally ask you to open google (there's a menu in game to open browser lol) and google it. the more elegant solution is to make a "fake" search engine and let us search from within the in-game search engine (one of the blackwell game i think did this, iirc it was the second one or the last one i forgot) but making bunch of fake databases and making a search engine for those are outside of the scope of the studio's capability, but when it's all said and done, using real-life search engine or in-game is same in function)

writing is also so-so, but i am a sucker for detective cliches, so it's tolerable.

idiotic: apparently before the first 3 cases, you cannot save the game manually. the game auto save at THE END of every case, so if you need to take care of real life stuff in the middle of a case, bye bye progress. from steam forum i don't think the game autosave at exit game and that's one of the stupidest thing a video game developer ever decided to put on their game. i don't know why, if dev wants players to continue with their mistake, just put a single save slot that got overwritten every time you save or put more checkpoints mid case. if steam forum is correct, you can manual save after the 3rd case for some reason.

El Pollo Diablo

Educated
unsure: the game literally tell you to google stuff. Darth Roxor said this in adventure game news thread. i am still not sure if this is a bad mechanic or not. it's not a good mechanic for sure, but the implementation makes sense since google / search engine exist in the game's setting so it's justified since the process of the character using google at the moment it's needed is the same as i would do in real life. for example, the usage for the first time is to find an author of a quote, the game literally ask you to open google (there's a menu in game to open browser lol) and google it. the more elegant solution is to make a "fake" search engine and let us search from within the in-game search engine (one of the blackwell game i think did this, iirc it was the second one or the last one i forgot) but making bunch of fake databases and making a search engine for those are outside of the scope of the studio's capability, but when it's all said and done, using real-life search engine or in-game is same in function)

One steam review I saw mentioned a problem where, if you Google stuff as the game intends you to, the first hit is the walkthrough for the game, and Google straight up gives you the answer right away even without clicking on the walkthrough link. This is a major issue if true. Can you comment if that's really the case?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Whatever the merits of the game (alas I have no time to play them these days), the complete lack of Steam reviews (10 reviews after the first day of release) is really grim. The game has a distinctive look, it raised tens of thousands of dollars on Kickstarter, and it seemed to show up all the time on social media... it even got quite a bit of mainstream reviews (Metacritic reports 10 reviews).

I was already a little surprised at how relatively little traction Norco had gotten -- backed by a publisher with a huge presence, beautiful visuals, and absolutely slobbering press coverage -- but at least it got like 160 Steam reviews in the first couple weeks since its launch.

Hopefully things will pick up for both games.

WallaceChambers

Learned
I'm not surprised this game isn't doing gangbusters. I was looking forward to this but the "hook" of the game felt sloppy in the demo. Maybe in other cases later on it's better, but the stamp investigation I tried produced odd results. I got the answer eventually but I cant say it was satisfying. The graphics are fine but far from the most impressive representation of the "chunky pixel art with high res lighting effects" style. It's honestly overdone in spots and this may be a personal thing, but I'd rather the characters have faces.

Apparently the game is really buggy too, thats an easy way to turn ppl off and hinder word of mouth for sure. Then, to top it off, the price really high compared to similar/better indie adventure games. I've already seen a few comments around where people are hesitant due to the price.

At best I'll wait for some patches and get it on sale. Maybe. There's a lot of other cool adventure games coming out this year.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Now the Steam reviews have fallen below 60%. They may be able to rebound the way Backbone did (drop price, urge ideological support), but I don't know whether there's a similar dynamic at play here. Backbone got as low as 58%, I think, before pulling back above 60%.

In some ways, might be good for this to be below the radar (longterm), as the walkthrough responses on Google will drop down in search priority and a tiny player base means no one will engage in SEO shenanigans to make the searches produce offensive results.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This seems like a very dangerous thing to try to work. I assume its not so bad as to have you figure out a Bible quote to find out which place to go or just look up which place to go, but its still not the wisest form of game design. There's a reason why the Carmen Sandiego games shipped with encyclopedias before switching into in-game databases. Having the data the player has to figure out be ironclad is sort of vital to the experience, more than one of those games is unplayable without those encyclopedias. Further it confines both the information the player has to use to figure things out, which is a boon for both the player and the developer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom