Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Chris Avellone Arcanum LP

garren

Arcane
Patron
For the love of god someone tell him that if he doesn't install drog's patch this time he's gonna run into quests and shit that crash the game and can't be finished, maybe that'll change his mind. Also Tim is a must.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Or maybe that was someone else in that room. Either way fuck you ore golems and fire mongers whatever and the like that destroyed weapons. There wasn't any RPG reason for this. It was just evil psychopathy. Hopefully Chris Avellone can set that shit right.

What the heck are you talking about? Weapon durability is a great and realistic game mechanic.

Maybe if you're up against something made out of fucking stone you shouldn't use that super-expensive magic sword but resort to other tactics. You're just butthurt because you was forced to have another strategy against them, rather than just hack through anything you meet.

Morkar Left

I wonder if his decision to pick up the LP again was inspired by Crispys latest action.

I would recommend him to just blog about. It's more interesting. And less embarassing for him.

And I remember there's still a wasteland novel waiting to be happen...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Or maybe that was someone else in that room. Either way fuck you ore golems and fire mongers whatever and the like that destroyed weapons. There wasn't any RPG reason for this. It was just evil psychopathy. Hopefully Chris Avellone can set that shit right.

What the heck are you talking about? Weapon durability is a great and realistic game mechanic.

Maybe if you're up against something made out of fucking stone you shouldn't use that super-expensive magic sword but resort to other tactics. You're just butthurt because you was forced to have another strategy against them, rather than just hack through anything you meet.
Exactly. What I did was to simply put all weapons away and just use bare fists. Since all my party members were carefully chosen neanderthal with titanium bones, I easily dispatched all the golems without much fuss. Also, if you've ever been to a RL under-mountain dungeon (they're all more or less the same) you'd know that they tend to be long, tedious and boring. The game is realistic that way, it's just that some people can't handle realism.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Exactly. What I did was to simply put all weapons away and just use bare fists. Since all my party members were carefully chosen neanderthal with titanium bones, I easily dispatched all the golems without much fuss. Also, if you've ever been to a RL under-mountain dungeon (they're all more or less the same) you'd know that they tend to be long, tedious and boring. The game is realistic that way, it's just that some people can't handle realism.

Exactly. Same with the so-called imbalance of magic. I don't get why people complain about "Harm" being so good at harming people when, you know, it is a spell whose only purpose is to snuff people's life energies out from a school of magic which solely studies this.

Serious mode: Okay, the Harm spell is pretty imbalanced.

BTW, you lose HP when you punch stone golems, so you must have had a good healer...

a cut of domestic sheep prime

He does seem to have rather mastered the art of trolling the 'dex, so I wouldn't put it past him.

ColCol

Arcane
Rocky ready for round two to with Apollo Creed.

z7447433Q,Chris-Avellone.jpg

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Exactly. What I did was to simply put all weapons away and just use bare fists. Since all my party members were carefully chosen neanderthal with titanium bones, I easily dispatched all the golems without much fuss.
I played a gunslinger, which of course was completely useless against the golems, so instead I used throwing weapons (which don't degrade at all) and changed from turn-based to real-time mode. I could just make my character run away while clicking on the golems as fast as I could, which allowed me to deal pretty much continuous damage (you don't even have to wait for your chakram to return, you can instantly throw it again over and over again so that it looks like there are half-a-dozen different chakrams in the air at the same time) without them being able to pose any kind of a threat.

I do have a soft spot for the golems, though, even if their existence is the last nail to the coffin when it comes to the chance of MCA ever finishing the game.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Lots of options to deal with golems. Explosives, spells - guns are trickier, but I belive the more high powered ones did some damage to them, even if they did eat bullets like crazy. You could also grab a throw-away melee weapon, or sneak by.

Nael

Arcane
I hope Avellone has been training his story-fag abilities. I'm currently in the midst of my first significant playthrough of this game and oh lawd let's just say I'm gonna boot up some 7.62 after this for some halfway decent combat to get the taste out of my mouth when I'm done. I thought the comments about the combat from reading the forums here were likely exaggerated somewhat. Nope. Absolutely dreadful.

The exploration and story are great though and its the only reason I keep playing.

My only gripe outside of the combat perhaps is that it is hard to keep focused on what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm playing the game without any spoilers aside from asking for some general hints here in the Shoutbox (thanks guise) so I'm just sort of wandering around the map trying to discover locations and breaking and entering people's houses asking them if I can wash their dishes and whatnot. Most of the time when I find a dungeon I have to save scum somewhat if I want to proceed because of rape and no level scaling.

:happytrollboy:

I am getting the hang of pulling mobs to my party though (playing as a high charisma/persuasion character) so that has helped me avoid save scumming. I just wish there was a command to get my party to stay put 20 yards down the hallway. I can get them to move but they want to run back to me. Infuriating! Ah well... Its still not a bad game for the most part. In fact I will probably do another playthrough eventually. Probably as a mentally challenged ogre or half-orc. Or maybe something off-the-wall and unconventional.

m_s0

Arcane
Watching him try to fight everything with a character build not viable for Arcanum's already terrible, boring combat is not fun.
Fixed. It's not even good trolling. It's just dull.

I wish they'd get Tim Cain on board with the LP. Even the occasional short guest appearance and some sparse running coomentary would've made this infinitely more watchable.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:necro:

A few days late on this, but we've now reached the 10th anniversary of Chris's last Arcanum update. Time marches on. Safe to say that Tim Cain made Avellone his bitch. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom