Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

City-Builders

Alright, I'm getting a little bored with E:TW after my second world conquest and I'm looking for something different. I was wondering which games in this genre are super duper good, preferably something with a historical base. Any suggestions, or is this genre not really represented here at the Codex?

Ashery

Prophet
Of those that I've played (Caesar 3 + 4, Pharaoh, Emperor (briefly), AD1701, possibly a couple others I've forgotten), Pharaoh is probably the most enjoyable.

Of the Pharaoh generation you have, in order of release, Caesar 3, Pharaoh, Zeus, and Emperor (Could be a mistake there, going from memory). Caesar 3 lacks the refinement of Pharaoh, but is still enjoyable (eg controlling what luxuries markets get by placing warehouses far away, whereas Pharaoh allows you to control which goods the market collects directly). Haven't played Zeus as I'm not a fan of the tone present in the game, but I've heard good things about it. Emperor was a step back design wise, but I didn't spend all that much time with it (For some reason I couldn't have a working installation of both Pharaoh and Emperor on my hard drive at the same time).

Didn't care too much for AD1701.

This post brought to you by your neighborhood parenthesis (I shouldn't post right after waking up).

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Dwarf Fortress... Needs a little patience with the interface, but it's not so inaccessible as some say. Highly recommended...

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
Luzur said:
Stronghold.

This. And make sure it's the very first one. Crusaders isn't bad, but the first one has more charm, and the rest are utter rubbish...

I wish there were more good Stronghold-like games... :(

spacemoose

Erudite
there's also city life

citylife2008.jpg

CLD_V2_07.jpg

20051121_CityLife_22.jpg

citiesxlscreen.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
IlkuWarrior said:
Luzur said:
Stronghold.

This. And make sure it's the very first one. Crusaders isn't bad, but the first one has more charm, and the rest are utter rubbish...

I wish there were more good Stronghold-like games... :(

This.
Actually, get both the original and Crusader. Fuck Stronghold 2 and Stronghold Legends, they suck, especially Stronghold 2. Original is the best, and Crusader is awesome for multiplayer.

Longshanks

Augur
Pharaoh, Caesar 3, Zeus, Emperor are all worth playing, There are no major differences between them, so just play in the setting that most appeals. Stronghold is very good, but is not much of a city builder.

If your looking for something more graphically advanced, you won't find anything to match the older games. There've not really been any good 3D city builders. Well, maybe Simcity 4. Then there's the Tilted Mill games - Caesar 4 and Children of the Nile (even has an enhanced edition!). They're decent enough to play through, but the improved graphics are not enough to recommend them over the older titles. Personally, I still prefer the look of the earlier games anyway. Tilted Mill also has a free browser game, Nile Online, that I've not played.

Destroid

Arcane
My friends tell me children of the nile is good. It's still old but newer than many of the games mentioned here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom