Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Civilization: Beyond Earth to be released October 24th

Spaceman

Literate
I'm looking forward to this. Loved Civ4 (especially the Fall From Heaven mod), hated Civ5, and now here I am having fairly high (and possibly soon-to-be-crushed) hopes about Beyond Earth being more like the former than the latter.

To add to the discussion about Alpha Centauri and Beyond Earth... I don't think the developers aimed to make their recent project a direct successor to AC. So far they seem to have similar ideas, but a very different aesthetic feeling and gameplay approach. Which is not that bad IMO. (Reiterating the movie parallels - look at Synecdoche, New York and 8 1/2... they obviously have a lot of similarities, but they also feel very idiosyncratic. I loved them both. And so did the late Ebert, who is a respectful critic if I knew one)

Zeriel

Arcane
You're getting your hopes up for nothing, Civ: Beyond Earth is nothing but a dressed-up Civ V mod (and even that is stretching it, I've seen countless total conversion mods over the years that changed way more things than this "game" does).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm looking forward to this. Loved Civ4 (especially the Fall From Heaven mod), hated Civ5, and now here I am having fairly high (and possibly soon-to-be-crushed) hopes about Beyond Earth being more like the former than the latter.

To add to the discussion about Alpha Centauri and Beyond Earth... I don't think the developers aimed to make their recent project a direct successor to AC. So far they seem to have similar ideas, but a very different aesthetic feeling and gameplay approach. Which is not that bad IMO. (Reiterating the movie parallels - look at Synecdoche, New York and 8 1/2... they obviously have a lot of similarities, but they also feel very idiosyncratic. I loved them both. And so did the late Ebert, who is a respectful critic if I knew one)
Welcome to the codex, enjoy the vitriol and pessimism.

Also, Civ BE looks like a Civ5 mod, I wouldn't get my hopes up if you're a fan of Civ4.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I agree with everything in this thread.... except that Civ 5 is shit. The singular fact that they finally, fucking finally removed giant stack of doom syndrome AND made next era units actually more dangerous than previous era, is massive incline. Civ 5 has it's fair share of simplification decline but it also managed with its policies/ideologies to more or less solve another problem of Civ, the meaningless government options. Which weren't options at all just a linear progression. It managed to make culture victory and smaller empire victory actually possible. After the two expansions which really should have been part of the core game but whatever, it really isn't bad at all, except for the incredibly bad system drain.

I'm not sure how I feel about older Civ titles (probably that they are in fact superior simply because they are faster and modded to heaven) but I sure as hell wouldn't recommend Civ 4 over Civ 5 to anyone.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I agree with everything in this thread.... except that Civ 5 is shit.....I sure as hell wouldn't recommend Civ 4 over Civ 5 to anyone.
This. Only problem with modern Firaxis games is it takes months or years for them to beautify, to transform from a hateful semi-finished product with more content missing than present to a really enjoyable, or even great game.

It was the case of nuXCOM which I HATED after the launch. But the expansion corrected most mistakes and the Long War mod changed it into the best UFO-type game ever made.

And it was also the case with Civ5 which I played once after launch and went back to Civ4. But during the next two years I found myself going back more and more often and now I haven't played Civ4 for a long time and I don't think I ever will again. Yes some aspects are better but - just as you said - there are also some that feel just unacceptable after Civ5, the stacks of doom and lack of political depth being chief among them.

So I fully suspect it will be the case with BE too. From what I've seen from the journo preview builds I like the overall tone but I expect this game is gonna feel shallow, bland and content-anemic until the first official addon and some serious mods arrive.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I do agree with you guys that Civ 5 definitely got way better over time. When I think back about vanilla, day 1 Civ 5, it almost seems like a different game (no religion, no ranged units past crossbows, no bonuses for completing policy tracks, cultural victories about just completing policy tracks instead of creating great works, etc.). What I'm hoping is that with the similarities people have noticed between this game and Civ 5 is that they didn't have to waste time on some other things, so maybe they already had time to finely polish some of the features in this game already.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What I'm hoping is that with the similarities people have noticed between this game and Civ 5 is that they didn't have to waste time on some other things

From what I've seen so far saying BE is just a Civ5 mod makes about as much sense as saying Alpha Centauri is just a Civ2 mod.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
What I'm hoping is that with the similarities people have noticed between this game and Civ 5 is that they didn't have to waste time on some other things

From what I've seen so far saying BE is just a Civ5 mod makes about as much sense as saying Alpha Centauri is just a Civ2 mod.
I know very little about it, since I didn't follow it much so far. I'm just going by what people on here say, which seems a little ridiculous now that I think about it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Literally could not care less about a glorified Civ5 mod. I got burned with the Colonization mod for Civ4 for which I paid the price of a full game (since Civ4 rocks) and here even the base game sucks donkey balls.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I know very little about it, since I didn't follow it much so far. I'm just going by what people on here say, which seems a little ridiculous now that I think about it.
There's always Google or Youtube, some LPers are already posting preview gameplay (limited to 100 turns). Here, as a public Codex service:

Spaceman

Literate
You're getting your hopes up for nothing, Civ: Beyond Earth is nothing but a dressed-up Civ V mod (and even that is stretching it, I've seen countless total conversion mods over the years that changed way more things than this "game" does).

Welcome to the codex, enjoy the vitriol and pessimism.

Also, Civ BE looks like a Civ5 mod, I wouldn't get my hopes up if you're a fan of Civ4.

Well I'm not so much hyped about the game, it just seems entertaining enough to steal my free time for two to three weeks. Maybe I'll like it enough to get back to it later. However it is quite sad that I am trying to find the good points in it, rather than being amazed by its awesomeness, like what happened when playing Alpha Centauri.

By the way, thanks for the welcome, I've been monitoring you bunch for a while now and decided to sign up (I have an (inactive) account in only one other forum, so me choosing your discussion board (rape mansion) is a compliment... of sorts.) My favorite RPGs are Morrowind, Deus Ex and World of Xeen. I hope I'll fit in.

EDIT: don't mean to derail this thread, but I feel the urge to note that emphasising post count and membership length is a poor forum ethic. Everywhere I go i see post counts, kool kredits, etc., that just makes stupid people think that people with more time on their hands are better, more important or that their opinions are more valid (which, needless to say, is bull)

Zeriel

Arcane
"you joined in xyz, your opinion is junk" is more of a joke/meta reference than serious thing, even if it started out otherwise. Kind of like how when people say "sup drog?" they don't actually think you are Drog... mostly.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
EDIT: don't mean to derail this thread, but I feel the urge to note that emphasising post count and membership length is a poor forum ethic. Everywhere I go i see post counts, kool kredits, etc., that just makes stupid people think that people with more time on their hands are better, more important or that their opinions are more valid

lol you're gonna LOVE Codex

:troll:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
There's always Google or Youtube, some LPers are already posting preview gameplay (limited to 100 turns). Here, as a public Codex service: <videos>
Yeah, this doesn't look much like Civ V at all, except for hexes and one unit per tile. Thanks for clearing that up. I had searched for gameplay videos a couple months back and there wasn't much to go on back then that I saw. I really like how the alien lifeforms aren't just barbarians shaped like bugs and I like favors. I'm definitely ready to play.

tindrli

Arcane
can someone help me find comparison that some bro wrote about this upcoming CIV and alpha centaury.. shit cant find it .. it was a reaction to some interview that developers made

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
You'd have to be nuts to think that this new game will even come close to the dark/edgy/awesomeness of SMAC: I mean come on, sourcing clips from Baraka was probably the fucking best thing they could've done to create the environment they did for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom