Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Classic or Oddity

Which XP system do you preffer?

• Total voters

CHEMS

Scholar
"Classic xp encourages you to farm respawning critters!" mantra always felt like a projection to me. Almost as if oddity mode is the only thing that prevents oddity adepts from starting farming critters themselves.
ia7557.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
100% of die-hard Oddity enthusiasts farm the Cave Dragon Tail first thing after leaving SGS, then check it off their carefully-constructed list of exactly where to go, what to do, and in what order so as to maximize level gain before reaching certain key build-filtering locations, such as Depot A.

Farming endlessly respawning critters for a rare drop? It's actually incline, you see, because you can only get the drop once.

CHEMS

Scholar
That be me trying to get level 6 so i won't have my buttcheeks clapped by bugs saving Newton

This oddity and the fact they like to bump you out of stealth gave birth to my undying hatred against cave hoppers, i hate those faggots so much its unreal

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Reading Blaine's posts I've reached to the conclusion that this oddity shit is an autistic version of PoE retardation.

Modron

Arcane
Like I said before: oddity is basically an ubisoft collectathon affair done well; Styg did a good job placing stuff as to reward exploring so it's worth trying out once. It's an interesting experiment that isn't as soul crushing as PoE since encounters are decently placed and still yield valuable resources to sell or use for crafting whereas PoE encounters provided neither experience, loot, nor challenge and a lot were just there to test your patience.

I could live with oddity but I still prefer the classic system because oddity does make your route through the world a little rote.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
100% of die-hard Oddity enthusiasts farm the Cave Dragon Tail first thing after leaving SGS, then check it off their carefully-constructed list of exactly where to go, what to do, and in what order so as to maximize level gain before reaching certain key build-filtering locations, such as Depot A.

Farming endlessly respawning critters for a rare drop? It's actually incline, you see, because you can only get the drop once.
Cave Dragon Tail is an oddity easy to acquire therefore it makes sense to try to get it asap but your 100% claim is complete bullshit.

Killing 4-5 hoppers for the oddity is not endless farming unless you are an endless faggot without concrete arguments.

Reading Blaine's posts I've reached to the conclusion that this oddity shit is an autistic version of PoE retardation.

Reading Blaine's post is futile. The guy is high on his own farts. The best kind of farts: American farts.

Like I said before: oddity is basically an ubisoft collectathon affair done well; Styg did a good job placing stuff as to reward exploring so it's worth trying out once. It's an interesting experiment that isn't as soul crushing as PoE since encounters are decently placed and still yield valuable resources to sell or use for crafting whereas PoE encounters provided neither experience, loot, nor challenge and a lot were just there to test your patience.

I could live with oddity but I still prefer the classic system because oddity does make your route through the world a little rote.
Except (1) the collectables in ubisoft games are useless padding without impact on gamepley - except wasting the players time - while (2) oddity system is a fundamental game mechanic. If you cannot make the difference between useless padding and a game mechanic then you are simply out of your element.

Also oddities give you "points of experience" therefore your comparison with PoE is retarded. Please don't parrot rusty_shackleford or Blaine retarded stuff without understanding what you are saying.

Codex Year of the Donut

Cave Dragon Tail is an oddity easy to acquire therefore it makes sense to try to get it asap but your 100% claim is complete bullshit.

Killing 4-5 hoppers for the oddity is not endless farming unless you are an endless faggot without concrete arguments.

Reading Blaine's post is futile. The guy is high on his own farts. The best kind of farts: American farts.

Except (1) the collectables in ubisoft games are useless padding without impact on gamepley - except wasting the players time - while (2) oddity system is a fundamental game mechanic. If you cannot make the difference between useless padding and a game mechanic then you are simply out of your element.

Also oddities give you "points of experience" therefore your comparison with PoE is retarded. Please don't parrot rusty_shackleford or Blaine retarded stuff without understanding what you are saying.
I see the thread is not going as you expected and now you are huffing copium.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Yeah. I'm seething with anger because right now the score is 35.8% for Classic vs 64.2% for Oddity which means that you are still a liar :smug:

Please post more. Your retardation might finally bear fruit.

Codex Year of the Donut

Yeah. I'm seething with anger because right now the score is 35.8% for Classic vs 64.2% for Oddity which means that you are still a liar :smug:

Please post more. Your retardation might finally bear fruit.
And that's with the poll being biased + you intentionally pinging people to sway it. I could easily make it go the opposite direction.

Modron

Arcane
They are fundamental game mechanics because they provide experience? Pretty sure the nuasscreeds reward xp for finding collectables does that mean they aren't useless padding now? If you cannot make the difference between uselss padding and a game mechanic then you are simply out of your element. Sarcasm aside I never said they were useless padding in fact I am pretty sure I said they rewarded exploration.

Funny how you jumped on the first half of my statement but made no effort to argue that the system doesn't encourage you to follow the same cookie cutter order of oddity collection when making your way through the world.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When you know the location of every oddity you've already played the game to death, and it's no more or less rote than most other free-form games where if you know all the tricks you can easily break it or even ignore progression altogether, like finishing Dark Souls without leveling up. Who gives a shit what the systems "encourage" at that point. You've milked the game dry.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They are fundamental game mechanics because they provide experience? Pretty sure the nuasscreeds reward xp for finding collectables does that mean they aren't useless padding now? If you cannot make the difference between uselss padding and a game mechanic then you are simply out of your element. Sarcasm aside I never said they were useless padding in fact I am pretty sure I said they rewarded exploration.

I stand correct, it looks like in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla you earn XP by collecting artifacts. My bad.

The differences are:
- in Valhalla artifacts give very little XP (200/item) vs mission rewars (thousands of XP points) <- useless padding outside of 100% completion runs
- in Underrail oddities are the main progression mechanic cause you get them for finishing actual quests <- fundamental gameplay mechanic

Teoretically the XP systems are similar but the implementation is completly different in Underrail. For me, they are not the same thing.

Sorry I don't play every shitty game released by Ubisoft.

Funny how you jumped on the first half of my statement but made no effort to argue that the system doesn't encourage you to follow the same cookie cutter order of oddity collection when making your way through the world.

There is an optimal way of handling locations until Depot A but afterwards the game world is completly open therefore "cookie cutter order of oddity collection" is just you talking out of your ass.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Oddity means I can sneak past encounters for enemies I already collected and not miss tons of XP.

barricade

Educated
voted oddity.

ps: why is rusty roaming like a creep in each and every underrail thread?

Blackmill

Scholar
In theory I prefer oddity just because classic xp systems punish players for not engaging in all the trash combat. I haven't played it enough to have a strong opinion, but on paper at least I prefer the way oddity sounds, so I can do stuff like sneak past trash mob enemies without worrying that I'm missing out on XP.
It would seem that way, except quest experience is much higher in classic mode. Quest EXP up through finding the drill parts gets you to level 6 in classic mode and level 3 in oddity mode.

Players don't like to leave XP on the table but doing trash encounters is not fun.

Ignoring trash mobs is more punished in oddity mode, since you're already working with an experience deficit, and there's a bunch of oddities that are only obtained by killing enemies.

Not true. Ignoring trash mobs is a blessing.

If oddity mode actually saved the player time or opened up more styles of play, I would prefer it too, but it just doesn't do that in my experience.

Classic encourages mostly combat orientated builds and mindless grinding while in addition Oddity encourages exploration and alternative builds (stealth, hacking, pickpocketing, lockpicking) while being less exploitable and less grindy.

I mean, I trust that's been your experience, but that's definitely not mine. I've never found myself grinding or wanting to grind in classic mode. But with oddity mode, I've definitely sat in the caves killing hoppers until I got a cave dragon tail. Or killed harmless, non-hostile borers in the Foundry until I got four of their jaws. Like you said, players don't like to leave XP on the table, and with oddity drops from enemies being much meaningful in oddity mode, I find grinding much more tempting in that mode too. If you wanted to say that oddity is better for characters that lean heavily into subterfuge skills, I could see the reason behind that, but for other builds I wouldn't understand.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I mean, I trust that's been your experience, but that's definitely not mine. I've never found myself grinding or wanting to grind in classic mode. But with oddity mode, I've definitely sat in the caves killing hoppers until I got a cave dragon tail. Or killed harmless, non-hostile borers in the Foundry until I got four of their jaws. Like you said, players don't like to leave XP on the table, and with oddity drops from enemies being much meaningful in oddity mode, I find grinding much more tempting in that mode too. If you wanted to say that oddity is better for characters that lean heavily into subterfuge skills, I could see the reason behind that, but for other builds I wouldn't understand.

I ignore most mobs after I aquire all the oddities from them.

Basically except cavehoppers and very few other mobs you don't have to go out of your way to kill them for oddities because you will fight them anyway.

To be honest, I always play with subterfuge skills therefore Oddity makes sense for me but I understand your point.

That being said, I found the system very refreshing cause it made exploration much more rewarding than combat.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
rusty_shackleford Let's face it, Oddity preferrers have won, thereby proving once and for all that useless padding actually isn't useless at all, as long as you receive points for collecting it.

As a small reward, I've finished a little arts and crafts project just for the winners.

Feat_Oddtism.png

Odd_Fragment.png

CHEMS

Scholar
rusty_shackleford Let's face it, Oddity preferrers have won, thereby proving once and for all that useless padding actually isn't useless at all, as long as you receive points for collecting it.

As a small reward, I've finished a little arts and crafts project just for the winners.

View attachment 31655

View attachment 31656
me likey collecting stuff from the trash

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom