Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Codex Ignore...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finally, REALLY terrible members don't last long. If they spam/flood, are utterly obnoxious and constantly off-topic, or are just completely insufferable (hopefully bronies count among that number), the ignore function won't be necessary to sort them out. They'll leave or be made to leave.

THE single most worst REALLY terrible member we have ever had the misfortune of trying to communicate with, who does every single thing you mentioned has not left at all. In fact he was given his own subforum.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
so here's my question: why is, let's say, dnf still here? what has he contributed? according to your theory, he should have been "made leave". there's literally zero threads/replies of his that are worth shit. Hell, even I contributed more to these forums, and i didn't contribute dick.

Come on now, we need whipping boys to pick on, too. How can I mock DUMFUCKS!! if they're all banned? Did you know you can just drag the DUMBFUCK!! tag directly into the text entry field when posting and the image will automatically embed? :troll:

or, more to the point: can we agree that putting someone in ignore isn't necessarily done out of any "lacking the intestinal fortitude to weather being challenged by people or opinions that are different", but can also be done because some elements are simply useless and there's no point having them in sight? can we agree that a retard who doesn't understand burden of proof or evidence cannot have any valid "opinion that is different", and if this element only posts in GD/POL, someone could want to avoid reading the same fallacies over and over?

The thing is that people can rationalize "I really don't like this guy" into "he's totally useless," because both are subjective to varying degrees. That said, sure, if someone is genuinely a humorless waste of time, ignoring them for convenience isn't something to be mocked for.

I personally feel that people use the ignore function as butthurt salve or to turn the forum into their own personal echo chamber, though. I don't actually believe that's 100% of cases though, no.

Random

Arcane
Patron
THE single most worst REALLY terrible member we have ever had the misfortune of trying to communicate with, who does every single thing you mentioned has not left at all. In fact he was given his own subforum.

HOW DARE YOU TALK THAT WAY ABOUT CRISPY! :x

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I personally feel that people use the ignore function as butthurt salve or to turn the forum into their own personal echo chamber, though. I don't actually believe that's 100% of cases though, no.

good enough for me

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Same here, I don't use the ignore function at all. I just don't agree with the statement that utterly useless posters leave or are made to leave.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Are you also of the opinion that restraining orders exist only to pander to people who aren't "manly" enough to want to tolerate some psychopath ordering pizzas to their place at random hours or making prank calls in the middle of the night telling your wife they're the FBI and you're a suspected child molester?

What in the name of the Lord does that have to do with an Internet forum, and particularly with the ignore function? Even setting aside the fact that a computer monitor and thousands of miles of fiber-optic cable separate all of us already, no one's making death threats or really tearing into anyone hardcore at the Codex, or if they are, I haven't seen it. It's harmless bickering, mild teasing, and games discussion.

Of course, this should never bleed over into real life in any way, shape or form, and personal information should remain protected.

Repeated harassment through PMs and constantly dogging the same poster across the entire forum... is an acceptable use of the ignore function for sure, but I don't even think of harassment in the context of a mere ignore function, because such harassment should be answered with warnings or bans. That's just unacceptable, even on my almost-no-holds-barred gore forum.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So why are people like dnf, jcd or dragofireheart still here? i'm afraid you're wrong on this one...

Why is Roguey still here?

because the codex loves drama and roguey is OK at trolling retards, causing butthurt. less retarded codexers enjoy the buttrage of those falling for the trolling.

That was always funny at first now it has become quite fucking boring. His constant shitposting really grates on many peoples nerves, so that's a case where this ignore function is actually useful.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I've enjoyed reading Roguey's stuff right up until his/her shitting all over the Codex Top 70 RPG's list, which is something I feel like defending with much Codex-white-knightedness. At that point I felt betrayed by what I thought was one of our own.

nomask7

Arcane
What in the name of the Lord does that have to do with an Internet forum, and particularly with the ignore function? Even setting aside the fact that a computer monitor and thousands of miles of fiber-optic cable separate all of us already, no one's making death threats or really tearing into anyone hardcore at the Codex, or if they are, I haven't seen it. It's harmless bickering, mild teasing, and games discussion.

Of course, this should never bleed over into real life in any way, shape or form, and personal information should remain protected.

Repeated harassment through PMs and constantly dogging the same poster across the entire forum... is an acceptable use of the ignore function for sure, but I don't even think of harassment in the context of a mere ignore function, because such harassment should be answered with warnings or bans. That's just unacceptable, even on my almost-no-holds-barred gore forum.

Your idea of what constitutes "mild teasing" is arbitrary and subjective. People can usually endure all sorts of nonsense if they don't have better things to do on their free time than post here, but you have to wonder how many amazing posters we've lost because of such nonsense -- possibly Wyrmlord, certainly the occasional bouts of leaving forever from Cleve and at least once from Black Cat.

Also, Phelot's "death" occurred because the situation was allowed to escalate. There WERE actual death threats and the fucking perp ultimately posted a picture of Phelot's house and said he was standing outside. Phelot left the Codex forever as a result.

There are other cases of people leaving or deciding to leave even before becoming regulars, I'm sure. Or just posting a lot less often because the admins confuse free speech and toleration of deranged hostile behaviour.

Your distinction between "real life" and the internet is also purely metaphysical and not something that actually exists outside your personal prejudices.

Harassment is allowed here if it doesn't affect the few protected individuals, and the ignore function is the only thing you can use to silence such people at least in your own web browser.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The ignore feature is something worth chuckling about. People don't use it because they don't want to read certain people's posts, they use it because they want to spite them. If they simply didn't want to read certain member's posts, they would simply scroll past them.
Newfag detected :p
The ignore list used to be secret, and loads of people used it to avoid having to waste so much as a single millisecond to identify and scroll past a post by a worthless poster. Then DU made it public for the lulz and a lot of predictable butturt and a bit of funny drama occureded. Now it's mostly calmed down but we still get threads like this a couple of times a year to rehash the same old arguments.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Ignored Reapa.
And the ignore list continue to spawn threads upon threads of inane butthurt:incline:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Didn't intend for this to be a birdshot multiquote, but shit happens.

Your idea of what constitutes "mild teasing" is arbitrary and subjective.

So is your idea of what constitutes the threshold of "harassment," necessarily. Surely there's a spectrum that can be reasonably agreed upon, but examples would be required in order to do so. As I am unaware of any egregious harassment (I'm not being an ass; I genuinely haven't seen it), perhaps you can provide one or two?

We could go back and forth subjectivizing each other's statements all day long and accomplish nothing.

People can usually endure all sorts of nonsense if they don't have better things to do on their free time than post here

Having a thick skin ≠ having no life. In fact, I typically find it's just the opposite. Halfway-decent veiled insult though, I give it 6/10.

...but you have to wonder how many amazing posters we've lost because of such nonsense -- possibly Wyrmlord, certainly the occasional bouts of leaving forever from Cleve and at least once from Black Cat.

I don't have to wonder any such thing. I hold people responsible for their governing their own feelings, rather than relying on the feelings police to make sure no one gets offended.

Also, Phelot's "death" occurred because the situation was allowed to escalate.

Given idont's clarification, I'm inclined to believe that you might not know what you're talking about.

Your distinction between "real life" and the internet is also purely metaphysical and not something that actually exists outside your personal prejudices.

Uh... huh. Well, I've never thought you uninteresting, and I'm certainly not going to start now.

Harassment is allowed here if it doesn't affect the few protected individuals

Such as?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Blaine how about you get pointed to the Show Ignored Content button.

Let me get this straight: In order to save time, you ignore someone, but then mouse over their posts and click in order to view them anyway?

Fascinating. I've known about such functionality since it existed (though I've had very little use for it, as I've explained), but I don't suppose there was a less-lame way to squeak in an insult given the silly context here.

Bradylama

Arcane
Blaine how about you get pointed to the Show Ignored Content button.

Let me get this straight: In order to save time, you ignore someone, but then mouse over their posts and click in order to view them anyway?

Fascinating. I've known about such functionality since it existed (though I've had very little use for it, as I've explained), but I don't suppose there was a less-lame way to squeak in an insult given the silly context here.

I meant it being more tongue-in-cheek than a real barb, but whatever.

Ignore also takes on a new dynamic in the shoutbox. I would rather not see particular people spamming up the shoutbox with their inanity and still see their posts on the boards.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Kz3r0
Ohhhhh, I see—you have an enormous ignore list. Makes sense now; I wasn't quite sure why you were flapping your feathers. According to nomask7 you are a highly successful multimillionaire with almost no free time, so, my congratulations.

Really, when you've got something like half of the 100 most active regular posters ignored, it's probably not they who have issues. Well, not all of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom