Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex keeps randomly logging me out

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Even with the 'log me back in' box checked and no clearing of cache or cookies I find myself returning to the Codex having to log in again. :x

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I was not aware of this issue, please tell me more about your experiences.

Shannow

Waster of Time
This one time, on the codex, new topics would stay new even after I read them. Another time I saw a tranny. And then this other time I was randomly logged out eventhough I was supposed to stay logged in. All that ever helped was deleting cookies. That made me an unhappy codexer. All management ever had to say to it was that they were making a new forum with better coding/tech on a new server spending all our money on blow, booze, blackjack and hookers.
That made me think: are bunnies really cute?
The answer? I like chocolate.

I'm guessing it has something to do with session cookies or somesuch thingamabob.
An easy way to avoid the issue is to let your first Codex page complete loading before going anywhere else on the site (cookie gets set?), and after that, you can spam the 'dex's server with requests to your heart's content without it logging you out.

PS: I made it even easier with Firefox + Load Tabs Progressively + "max concurrent tabs loading = 1", and just tell FF to load my whole frequently used bookmarks folder. No logouts since.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It's definitely getting worse. I have this now all the fucking time like 3 times an hour. Yesterday it happenend during editing an content-item. FFS. Repair it or find someone who can.

Satan

Educated
if codex logs you out it means codex doesn't want you to log in.

Coyote

Arcane
Shannow said:
This one time, on the codex, new topics would stay new even after I read them.

This happened to me last week when I left my laptop on for too long, although oddly enough it would still show the no new posts icon if I read a topic where I had posted at least twice. Bizarre.

ortucis

Prophet
This auto-logout happened to me once in a while every week but wow, in last few days I have been getting logged out every few minutes. :(

I blame id Software. Fucking POS idTech 5.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
ortucis said:
This auto-logout happened to me once in a while every week but wow, in last few days I have been getting logged out every few minutes. :(

I blame id Software. Fucking POS idTech 5.
It's actually been happening less often here

ortucis

Prophet
M4BE1R0 said:
It's actually been happening less often here

I think it's happening everytime I close and re-open my browser. It doesn't happen on any other forum I vist though, only Codex.

:rpgcodex:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Closing and reopening your browser counts as logging you out, from what I can tell of Codex behavior. It also times you out after a while, but the "while" is over an hour at the least.

The random logouts are annoying, but they haven't happened to me in a few weeks now.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds like your browser might be deleting cookies when you close it.

SoupNazi

The Codex is the only site to ever log me out (and I'm on a lot of cookie-login-based forums and sites) after computer restart. Occasionally, when I log in from another place, I find myself logged out on my desktop, but that seems reasonable (though it still is kind of random).

What's worse is something else that somebody mentioned here: topics stay marked as unread even after I read them. This is extremely annoying. No idea how that happens either, though I seem to have more luck when opening the title and then going to the last page than going directly to the last page...

ortucis

Prophet
Xor said:
Sounds like your browser might be deleting cookies when you close it.

For only Codex? Damn, even browsers hate Codex now. :D

Oriebam

I don't think it is a cookie issue. I think I have confirmed the "session" is timed and ends regardless being in the middle of browsing the site or not, or something like that.

If adminguys don't already know what is the problem or think this can help I'll give more details later

ortucis

Prophet
Logout happens always when the browser is closed (tried it on all browsers). Maybe some cookie setting which ends the session on exit, I don't know. I don't have such problems with 20 other forums I keep logged in (and open at the same time when browser starts).

Oriebam

Here it happens before I close it, here's how I confirmed it: I opened two login-required pages, one works alright but the other asks me to login. This has happened more than once and no I did not do it on purpose.

MapMan

Arcane
Keeping me logged in never worked for me. My session would always expire after about an hour or something, no matter if I check "always log me in" or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom