Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex's Gaming LCD/LED recommendation?

ortucis

Prophet
First time getting a LCD so I have decided to just order Dell - ST2320L (23") LED monitor for now. I will use it with my CRT for dual setup for a year and if everything is fine in the end, order some higher quality (read=expensive) monitor to finally replace CRT for dual setup.

I was thinking of getting 26" but don't see any good models out for now. Maybe with DX11 card next year I will monitor hunt again.

Well, the new monitor arives tomorrow.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
How's playing old games on these things? Do you guys have trouble? Does the fixed resolution make older games look like shit? Is the letterboxing distracting?

I've often thought of getting an LCD, but to date I don't see any compelling reason to replace the CRT.

Destroid

Arcane
http://www.pcmonitors.org/ said:
Conclusion
If you’ve come straight to this section without reading the rest of the review then prepare to become rapidly disillusioned with the Dell ST2320L – just like we were as we tested it. The monitor itself is a fairly plain looking black glossy affair with some nice little touches like touch sensitive buttons and an ice-white power light that illuminates the silver bottom lip. Once the monitor is switched on, however, any externalities will soon be forgotten. The ST2320L has a huge problem with excessively high gamma. This creates a ‘bleached’ image that leads to overpowering whites and lacklustre colours that are particularly ominous in the game titles we tested. Whilst it is possible to reduce the gamma using in-game settings and on the desktop using custom ICC profiles (i.e. calibration) this actually leads to a dull looking image with unacceptably low luminance (indistinct colours), poor contrast and still elements of bleaching. Given the rather palpable issues we were having with the screen – such as the gamma issues and the fact that dynamic contrast simply didn’t do anything it is possible that the individual screen that we were reviewing was faulty in some way – from our experience, though, this is less than likely. One thing that you can certainly not escape from and will be almost invariable on any ST2320L unit is the substandard responsiveness. We wouldn’t feel foolish saying that Dell’s UltraSharp IPS monitors (yes – those ones people traditionally frown upon due to a figure on paper that says ‘6’ or ‘8’ instead of ‘2’ or ‘5’) are far more responsive than the ST2320L. But one cannot ignore the price of the monitor – at under £160 it is certainly one of the cheaper LED-backlit monitors currently available. One can speculate all they like about the ‘what if’s of this particular panel vs. other panels of the same model and possibly subsequent revisions; but based on what we have tested we cannot recommend the ST2320L.

http://www.pcmonitors.org/ said:
Conclusion
The Dell UltraSharp U2211H offers an affordable solution for professional users on a tight budget but is also an appealing solution for home users. A simple glance at the angular matte panel and a quick swivel of the stand is enough to tell you the intended market. But then there is the ‘full HD’ resolution and rather ‘homely’ price tag that suggests that this is a monitor that reaches out to other users. The E-IPS panel of the U2211H delivered a great variety and consistency of colours in our game tests – you start to notice subtle pastel tones and slight variations in your favourite games that you never knew existed if you were using a Twisted Nematic PC monitor. Although the vibrancy wasn’t quite as intense as some of the broad-gamut IPS monitors we’ve used we can’t fault the U2211H for displaying natural and accurate colours within the sRGB colour space. The backlight itself is not particularly powerful but this is partly why the monitor costs considerably less than most other IPS models. This meant that explosions, artificial lights and glare on games wasn’t quite as ‘stunning’ but nonetheless stood out from the rest of the scene. This is because, despite this lack of backlight power; the contrast performance was consistently good with no noticeable loss of detail in dark areas and a good range of shades. The U2211H also provided a fairly fluid experience in games, giving that responsive feel that only a panel with low input lag ever could. Trailing was at times a little more noticeable than on other panels but in the majority of cases this was minor.

The U2211H, which sits at around £250 ($280 US), is at a price-point that competes with the more expensive but often slightly larger TN-film LCD monitors that are more common in the current marketplace. For professionals on a budget and home users who want excellent colour reproduction in all their applications, the U2211H is hard to ignore. Equally hard to ignore is the fact that the U2311H, which offers similar performance and an extra inch and a half of screen space, can be had for just a smidgen more.

It's not too late to change your mind, I believe Dell have a very generous return policy if you find the weaknesses of the monitor not to your liking.

Destroid

Arcane
For Commie - I've never had a problem, I usually play old games with the monitor set to match the aspect ratio, the slight blurring effect isn't really noticeable with low resolution games.

ortucis

Prophet
:M
I already know about the review. Do you seriously think this is my first time buying hardware?

You should know that there are regular hardware revisions. Most issues are fixed in firmware update or hardware update. I had troubles with my Sidewinder gaming keyboard until Microsoft sent the new replacement which fixed all issues I was having with it, same goes for other hardware out there.

Either way, if it sucks, doesn't matter. I will be getting a bigger one next year with new card anyway and I still will keep my CRT for dual setup.

Destroid

Arcane
You must really want that extra inch. The flaws of TN LCDs are not currently correctable.

ortucis

Prophet
TBH yes, I do need a widescreen. Workin in 3dsMax at 1280x1024 is NOT fun. It doesn't help that Autodesk likes shitting all over the place with weird-ass menus clogging the working area with every release. :?

I could go for some high end expensive model but like I said before, there aren't any LED monitors of good quality at higher size (which I am interested in). Also, I'd rather upgrade to some high end model with a equally expensive high-end DX11 card next year than do it now when there aren't many games that support the new API.

As for flaws that can't be fixed.. well, we all will have to learn to live with it until teh future fixes these problems.

Destroid

Arcane
>_<

The monitors that myself and others have suggested at NOT TN panels. They contain a different type of LCD panel called an IPS LCD. They do not suffer from the same issues that TN panels do, are more expensive and have marginally slower response times. Both of the monitors suggested (the 22" and 23" Dell IPS) are 1920x1080. LED does not offer great advantages over CCFL backlighting, and especially not in a budget monitor. Backlight fading does occur with time for CCFLs but monitors are so ridiculously bright it is hardly an issue, I run my 3 year old monitor on 40% brightness to avoid getting sunburnt.

I feel kind of retarded going on and on about your purchase, but I really despise TN monitors.

ortucis

Prophet
Yeah I did read about IPS somewhere but didn't pay much attention. If there is too much trouble with color-shifting I'll keep this as a secondary monitor in the end. My CRT is good enough for dual setup to show me un-fucked visuals anyway.

At least higher-end IPS models will become more affordable in a year or so. :D

Destroid

Arcane
ortucis said:
At least higher-end IPS models will become more affordable in a year or so. :D

Unlikely, the price for those hasn't moved much in years. The suggested monitors were ~20-40% more expensive than the one you selected.

ortucis

Prophet
Well being expensive isn't really a big issue if the monitor is worth it.

I was looking around for reviews of IPS LCD's like this one from Dell and I see that ghosting is a problem cause of high response time. Well that sucks since I game a lot as well. :(

But yeah, looks like IPS is the way to go for graphics editing so I will have to get one for dual setup later on and keep a TN one for gaming.

Fucking LCD's..
:x

Destroid

Arcane
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pa ... logies.htm

This article explains the different LCD technologies. The IPS monitors we suggested are of the e-IPS type, as I believe are all of the newer cheapish IPS monitors. I use a Dell 2007WFP which has a 16ms S-IPS panel in it, I notice only very minimal ghosting effect, only noticeable in slow panning (as is common in older arcade games) and sometimes in films. I used a Samsung 22" 5ms TN for about a week (returned it) before and the ghosting was actually much worse on the Samsung because of the overdrive used to achieve the low ms figure. The numbers are also not directly comparable as IPS monitors typically list a grey-to-grey time while TN give a black-to-white.

The website I linked is the #1 source for detailed LCD information I have found, with extremely comprehensive reviews, a monitor lookup to discover precisely which panel is used and great explanations for all technologies used in LCD panels.

ortucis

Prophet
Thanks for the link. If the ghosting isn't that big of a problem maybe I will change the order. Gonna read up and see which model is available.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I also recommend Dell. I have a Dell 2209WA (eIPS) http://www.cnet.com.au/dell-2209wa-339294389.htm it has excellent image quality and wasn't even expensive. I think it's a great compromise for gaming and work. This was the absolutely best (for the price) I could find about a year ago, there may be other models available now.

If you are more interested in an business / office monitor, I would have a look at devices like the HP LP2475w s-IPS. http://www.trustedreviews.com/monitors/ ... Display/p1
Looks absolutely professional and impressive for CAD etc, but may have some problems with gaming.

In the past I had a Viewsonic (VP191S) which I absolutely loved, but View Sonic appears to have now become overpriced crap.

ortucis

Prophet
Yeah the problem is to find the balance between good response time for gaming and working with CAD apps.

I was reading review about 2311H and it seems to strike the balance (esp. with response time being bearable enough). I think I will go with this.

I was OK with older model before but after reading up more on TN and IPS.. yeah well, fuck TN. That should be printed in bold on the box or page for customers but is hidden away as a tiny speck in the spec list on manufacturers site. Bastards. :decline:

I am also finding more and more about shitty Dell customer support but I guess not everyone can be Microsoft (seriously, they replaced my Sidewinder keyboard 3 times and sent new replacement even after warranty expired 6 months ago..WOW). Unfortunately it's either them or expensive shit from Samsung for higher end models.

Burning Bridges

As to TN panels I can remember some mates have them and the colors are horrible. In games like Silent Hunter III (which has extremely dark night scenes) you can see visible patterns in grey/black areas because the panel could not reproduce the colors nearly accuratetely.

Of course it's not a big deal, you get used to the lower image quality, but when you have used a good monitor you will notice such things instantly. It's like with a good stereo.

Burning Bridges

That 2311H looks pretty similar to my 2209WA and has an e-IPS too. But the reviewer sounded more like it was was "just" good, but not so enthusiastic as you would hope. So I would check if it's really the best you can get for your money. But you probably can't go wrong with a Dell in price-performance for a good to very good image quality.

I also could find the information it's a glossy or anti-glare I would strongly recommend the second (matte).

Bying a screen takes alot of time that's normal .. With notebooks I found it even worse, I spend about two weeks to find the right one. But that shouldn't bother you. what matters is that eventually you really like what you bought.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Burning Bridges said:
In games like Silent Hunter III (which has extremely dark night scenes) you can see visible patterns in grey/black areas
By "visible patterns" do you mean that green-ish outline you sometimes see? I've noticed it with every TN monitor I've used (whether mine or someone else's). I've learned to ignore it eventually, but if there's one thing I miss about CRT's this is it.

Xi

Arcane
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236119

I don't care much for screen quality. Even the cheap ones look decent these days. However, I can understand that someone who works with art might prefer a highend monitor. I think the major thing you want is high color quality. This is a pretty fantastic Price/Performance monitor sporting over a billion colors(12bit) and 6ms response.

It would pretty much kill your CRT monitor in every aspect of performance. IMHO

ortucis

Prophet
OH GOD IT'S GLORIOUS!!

Dell U2311H

Just finished setting it up and now everything looks so big and crisp and wonderful. I didn't notice any color drop or change from my CRT, which is a good thing, and text is crystal clear even though I am sitting way back (compared to one arm distance on CRT).

*sniff* Tis beautiful..

Now to calibrate shit and play some games and run some max and..

Thank you codex (esp. Destroid).
:love:

I'm a little confused about what just happened, but as another very happy Dell 2209WA user, just wanted to confirm that IPS panels kick ass.

Apparently you picked up a similar IPS monitor (shame you can't find the 2209WA anymore), so good job not failing. And a :salute: for Destroid fighting the good fight against TN panels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom