Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CoH: Tales of Valor - AARRGH, NOT ENOUGH!

Korgan

Arbiter
Removed from inventory, found 3 x-tremely short DoW2-like RPG episodes and 3 utterly useless multiplayer modes (a dumbed down DotA, a dumbed down WC3 hero defence map and a dumbed down WC3 RPG map) inside. And a bunch of new units which are supposed to be optional replacements for some of the old ones but are exactly the same.
So what of it, you ask?
The RPG episodes are a whole lot of fun, damnit! This is almost DoW2 done right - everything's way too easy, unfortunately, but the missions are somewhat original, your units' abilities are varied, flanking and cover are useful (if not vital because of the damn low difficulty), In the Tiger Ace part, you first have to plow through a village, blowing up a British convoy, taking out AT weapons and crushing infantry. Levelling is fast and there are enough abilities for half of DoW2's squads - quite satisfying. Then your tank gets blown up and you must get the crew back to the starting point, stealing ammo, avoiding large enemy groups and calling in artillery strikes on enemy bunkers. Then you return with a brand new tank, keeping all the upgrades and getting a second, basic Tiger, and this time you must support German infantry while it secures strategic points, switching between blowing up buildings and knocking out armor and tank destroyers.
The whole thing lasts for one hour and takes place on one average-sized map, yet it has more love put into it than many "Crawl across the map, kite shit, spam powers" RPG/RTS titles. In fact, I now want a long, difficult and nonlinear tank RPG (not a mecha one) with gameplay like this. I would even forgive it for being set in WW2.
One of the other episodes has a couple of Airborne squads fighting in... well, the Normandy terrain we all know and love. Really quite good, too. I was actually scared for a bit as 30+ krauts rushed at me, then went fuck yeah as one of the squads cut them down with SMGs and I sniped their armor with the other one's recoilless rifles. This one took about 40 minutes.
What the fuck is Relic doing, teasing people with stuff like this, then making sure there's nothing worth *paying* for in the game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's an awesome but way too short and horribly overprized expansion. The original game can be bought new for 5 euro's, but they want 36 euro for this small expansion. Almost the price of a new full fledged game. Ridiculous.

But I have to admit, the content that there is? Fucking great. Makes me wonder how they managed to fuck up on DOW2 this bad when they obviously have the talent for great stuff.

I thought the choice for playable factions was quite odd (originally US Army and Wehrmacht, Opposing Fronts added British + Panzer Elite), when it seems like the logical choice would be to add an Eastern front campaign, along with appropriate factions (Russians and possibly, but not necessarily, another German faction.

It's ridiculous that you can't have random matchups in multiplayer though (you can only do Axis vs Allies). On the topic of this expansion, I'm interested, but $30 sounds too expensive. I'll wait for a bundle or something, I think. still, if anyone hasn't played the singleplayer of the original CoH, now would probably be a good time, as it's quite cheap, as Trash mentioned.

Panthera

Scholar
Trash said:
But I have to admit, the content that there is? Fucking great. Makes me wonder how they managed to fuck up on DOW2 this bad when they obviously have the talent for great stuff.

They didn't fuck up DoW2.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Panthera said:
They didn't fuck up DoW2.

Could have fooled me. It felt like one boring empty grind with me doing the exact same thing over and over again. I really tried to enjoy it, but it felt stale, rushed and soulless. First big gameing dissappointment of 2009.

So, I assume you like it. What's so good about it?

Panthera

Scholar
I honestly wasn't expecting it to be very good judging from the beta, but I was pleasantly surprised when I finally bought the game. It was overflowing with flavor and character, and had a campaign filled with interesting decisions, options, and consequences for your performance in missions. Elements like tracking which day it is and the level of tyranid invasion all add together to make for an experience that I wasn't expecting. The mission briefings and between-mission chatter are the best since Dark Omen.

Plus, I'm playing on difficulty 3/4 and it's definitely not a grind.

I'm not big on its multiplayer, though. The first DoW is much better for that.

Trash said:
Commander, we need to defend the shrine from green skin invaders.
"Let`s 'ave some! Get stuck in, ladz! Make 'em all pink an' pulpy!"
"This is Cyrus, requesting target" Pew Pew.
*Epic music: Di Di Dididi Diii Diii Diiii* We have crushed our enemys. For the empire.
We have sekrit information that the green skin Muncha McBuncha is leading a group of orks... Eliminate him."
Dreadnaught * stomp stomp stomp*
Awesome game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Panthera said:
I honestly wasn't expecting it to be very good judging from the beta, but I was pleasantly surprised when I finally bought the game. It was overflowing with flavor and character, and had a campaign filled with interesting decisions, options, and consequences for your performance in missions. Elements like tracking which day it is and the level of tyranid invasion all add together to make for an experience that I wasn't expecting. The mission briefings and between-mission chatter are the best since Dark Omen.

Plus, I'm playing on difficulty 3/4 and it's definitely not a grind.

I'm not big on its multiplayer, though. The first DoW is much better for that.

Mmmh, perhaps I really should try playing it with the latest patch. I started out loving it because of this....

SimpleComplexity said:
Trash said:
Commander, we need to defend the shrine from green skin invaders.
"Let`s 'ave some! Get stuck in, ladz! Make 'em all pink an' pulpy!"
"This is Cyrus, requesting target" Pew Pew.
*Epic music: Di Di Dididi Diii Diii Diiii* We have crushed our enemys. For the empire.
We have sekrit information that the green skin Muncha McBuncha is leading a group of orks... Eliminate him."
Dreadnaught * stomp stomp stomp*
Awesome game.

...but then quickly realised that was about all the game had to offer. Defend a point, kill a boss enemy or do one of the handfull of scripted campaign missions. The repetition quickly bored me. Have they improved the diversity of the missions or is it still the same?

Don`t know if they added more diversity, i don`t get the feeling that`s the point of the game. It has this Diablo feel to it, kill a bunch of monsters in this case green skins, level up and upgrade your equipment. The fun part is when the Dreadnaught fires hellfire rounds at a swarm of tyranids or when you manage to throw a grenade at a big enemy crowd. It is indeed quite repititive, that`s why i already purged it from my hard disk. Still had some good fun. Now if somebody makes the same game with some c&c, more varied mission etc. it could be a truly codex-worthy game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom