Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

thesecret1

Arcane
October 31st - Tamriel Rebuilt releases new landmass
November 1st - Underrail gets new DLC
November 9th - Colony Ship Releases

Halloween of incline

motherfucker

Educated
Played the demo and was very impressed by it, the dev sure seems to have learned from AoD's mistakes. That thing is fucking extensive, too, took me like 10 hours. I understand it's just a cut version of the actual game so I basically spoiled the beginning for myself?
Also, can anyone spoonfeed me on skill training math in regards to learning from mentors, tag skills etc.? Should I train a skill and tag it afterwards or it doesn't matter? What about tokens?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Played the demo and was very impressed by it, the dev sure seems to have learned from AoD's mistakes. That thing is fucking extensive, too, took me like 10 hours. I understand it's just a cut version of the actual game so I basically spoiled the beginning for myself?
It's the first chapter in full. If you buy the game later you'll be able to load your demo save and continue playing.

Also, can anyone spoonfeed me on skill training math in regards to learning from mentors, tag skills etc.? Should I train a skill and tag it afterwards or it doesn't matter? What about tokens?
The tag adds two ranks on top of what you have. It's not affected by the training.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The tag adds two ranks on top of what you have. It's not affected by the training.
What about training and putting in skill points during chargen? Will that make training less beneficial?

No, training adds a fixed amount of Learning Points. Depends on the type of training, but let's go with 100 LP. Putting a skill point in char creation is similar to adding 20 LP. You pick both, your character gains 120 LP.

You can see the amount of learning points needed to level up a skill by hovering over the bar under the skill name.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
those things keep changing, I had it figured out aod style in one of the earlier versions, now that knowledge its obsolete, as in can be thrown to trash

agris

Arcane
Patron
honestly, the new way is a bit more simple and that's good, it'll lead to less metagame-y optimization approaches. you won't kick yourself 20 hours into a playthrough for not tagging a skill before you used a token vs after.

motherfucker

Educated
it'll lead to less metagame-y optimization approaches
It still does because you wanna hold your tags off until you actually need them, same as in AoD you'd keep your skillpoints unspent until you failed a check. Also skill points suffer from an opposite issue: since it's only 20 LP, it's wasted on any skill that you can get trained; on the contrary, since there's no way to train the rest of the skills early on, it becomes imperative to skillpoint those to get you up and going. So forward knowledge of trainers and some skills boosts you up immensely.
E.g. if you don't put anything into speech you'll have to fail some speech checks because that'll be the only way to train them; however, put a skillpoint into Streetwise, talk to thugs outside your apartment and you'll snowball into never failing a speech check all throughout Ch1. Similarly, you wanna hold off all your lockpicking until you get Faythe because she's the one you want to spec into Lockpick; same with Jed and Bioengineering.
Basically, I played through Ch1 in the demo, then another time yesterday after I bought the game, now I'm gonna hold off until release with an elaborate plan to optimize the shit out of the first chapter. Not that I mind honestly, I love optimization and the replayability it provides.

Sòren

Arcane
is there access to the third floor of armory already? if yes, where do i get the keycard?

and btw, small suggestion: u should really tweak the heavy energy rifle. i jumped through to hoops get access to this secret vault, only to realize that its properties are hardly any better than those of the standard; the range, for instance, makes it hardly useable in certain areas (especially late game areas) and for certain builds and the few (1 or 2?) additional damage points do not make it worth applying. i guess the better option is the scoped energy rifle from the clerk at the habitat? i don't know what that does though.

motherfucker

Educated
is there access to the third floor of armory already? if yes, where do i get the keycard?
No, there isn't
The current build ends when Ava gives you the quest to go there. She gives you the door code, too, so you're not supposed to be there beforehand

motherfucker

Educated
i47vd9.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The final touches are being made, seven endings, and more. Read for yourself. That last sentence is some potentially grim reading, but also this can be the truth of many studios.

NEWS
POSTED
Wed, October 25
Countdown to Release

This is to keep you appraised of the game’s pre-release state and what we’re working on,

Content:
The first iteration of the new content (the endgame events) was done on Oct 20th, ahead of schedule. It gave us time to play through it a few (dozen) times and see ways to improve it (the ways that aren't immediately obvious when you're designing the events on paper). The second iteration will be done today.

Ending slides:
Almost done, waiting for the last slide. 7 endings in total.

Achievements:
We're setting them up right now, still waiting for two more icons (art). 70 achievements in total.

Plans for the next two weeks:
  • Journal - the entries are too minimalistic, so now (that everything else is done) is the time to expand them
  • Expanding dialogues (where appropriate, plus improving early dialogues)
  • Civilian (ambient) animations
  • Improving character customization
  • Two more soundtracks plus Improving soundwork
  • Visual improvements
  • Optimization
It may sound like a lot, but keep in mind that these are different 'departments'.

Post-release Plans:
We'll support (read 'improve') the game for 6 months after release, before transitioning to the tentative sequel or out of business (if the game doesn't sell enough to pay for said sequel). So if it's our last game, we'd like to make it as memorable as possible for people who like our design. If we stay in business, all the more reasons to do the same.

motherfucker

Educated
Abu Antar not them, but here's mine:
oiatsp.png

This is one completionist playthrough of the current build, plus a couple restarts early on.
I wasted quite a bit of time on saveloading(sneaking, bad combat RNG) plus aforementioned restarts, however there's like 15% of content unimplemented - I'd say a full blind playthrough will be 30hrs give or take if you know your way around the genre.

UPDATE: now that the game is out, I'd say 20-25

That last sentence is some potentially grim reading, but also this can be the truth of many studios.
I feel like that at least partially has to do with this thread's discussion about the game's increased price tag compared to AoD

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I believe in ITS. :salute::salute:

I am curious how much revenue they need to stay in business though. Hopefully they'll let us know if they've reached their goals.

Judging by the nature of release revenue trends, I'm assuming they'll know within a week of launch.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

I am curious how much revenue they need to stay in business though. Hopefully they'll let us know if they've reached their goals.

Judging by the nature of release revenue trends, I'm assuming they'll know within a week of launch.
Unless it's an instant hit (which isn't gonna happen), we won't know until 3-4 months in.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Unless it's an instant hit (which isn't gonna happen), we won't know until 3-4 months in.

I wouldn't count out a massive launch day turnout. Colony Ship might be one of the first games impacted by a renewed interest in turn-based cRPGs due to BG3. cRPGs are also significantly affected by people waiting for Early Access to end.

Colony Ship has 32K steam followers, which is a relatively massive amount for this genre, and I'm assuming the wishlist # is comparable. Your review % is also looking good.

So, depending on your definition of a "instant hit," it might be reachable. Either way, we'll find out soon and best of luck to you.

Jinn

Arcane
Mortismal will probably cover the game close to launch, and he'll likely enjoy it a lot. He's got pretty good viewership, so hopefully that'll help boost sales. I sometimes question his critical skills, but he does do good for CRPGs as a whole. I'll be telling anyone I know who likes CRPGs to get it, and probably gifting a copy or two.

Can't wait to finally do a proper playthrough or two myself!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom