Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #1: Setting, Character System

Tigranes

Arcane
Right, but whereas a ship is decked up for a journey of a few months at a time, they are going in with the idea that this one will last centuries. I'm not really interested in how that means the ship is apparently mutiny-proof, that's nonsense, but in terms of how the initial launch involves many different plans - social, political, architectural, mechanical - for such 'living in' and how those plans go awry by the time we're there.

Monocause

Arcane
Anyway, I would ask you to apply your earthlike way of thinking about "you're free to do whatever you want, build whatever you want, live the way you want" the same way to the Colony Ship. You should not allow colonist to dream about non-ship environment, as if you striped away non-Earth environment from Earthman freedoms. You should not allow colonist dream about living on Earth since in out of their capabilities to bring themselves to Earth. You should not allow colonists start revolution because they just want to have something. Let them fit their environment, let them fill all shitholes like Eskimos live in Alaska and even do not migrate to Florida for "you're free to do whatever you want, build whatever you want, live the way you want" premise.

If you want to explore people living on Colony Ship then let these people to fit its environment first, fill all niches imaginable; find alternative ways to satisfy their needs. Exploration of fitting their environment should go as deep as you could find examples on Earth. Otherwise, “Revolution!” is just buzzword for getting lulz because it cool to have revolutions and guns.

You are basing all your diatribes on an incredible number of assumptions about the game, the design, and your chosen theories on how the world, the human mind or societies operate. Also you seem to have a very peculiar idea on what is doable within the boundaries of a video game created by a few dudes on a tight budget. In essence, what you're doing is a self-congratulatory monologue, which is fine, but you should be aware your posts are void of actionable input.

DSW

Novice
Right, but whereas a ship is decked up for a journey of a few months at a time, they are going in with the idea that this one will last centuries. I'm not really interested in how that means the ship is apparently mutiny-proof, that's nonsense, but in terms of how the initial launch involves many different plans - social, political, architectural, mechanical - for such 'living in' and how those plans go awry by the time we're there.
It is not about mutiny-proof anymore. Do not reduce it for that point only. It about big picture design of Generation ship, a place where thousands of people going live for centuries, uses as template two months journey of four hundred years old cargo vessel.

DSW

Novice
The ship is not a colony. It's a bunch of people on the move, no different than the Westward Migration. These people aren't building a colony, in fact they aren't building anything, but ensure that when the ship arrives their descendants will be ready.
Thank you, VD. That it is, what I had to get from your from very beginning. I am sorry, but indeed, I did not expect that futuristic Colony ship designed for centuries long journey of thousands of people would be templated from Mayflower.
Now I am have clear understanding why do you need to reduce city size permanent settlement for many generations to "bunch of people on the move". If agreed with you choice, I am curious how colonists experience that they are "bunch of people on the move"? I mean, that I can stop for a second and say: "Ho, all mankind is bunch of people on the move riding the Earth!", but next second I have to go back to my down-to-earth activities literally. What events and activities on colony ship support awareness and feeling that colonists are bunch of people on the move?

Tigranes

Arcane
It is not about mutiny-proof anymore. Do not reduce it for that point only. It about big picture design of Generation ship, a place where thousands of people going live for centuries, uses as template two months journey of four hundred years old cargo vessel.

I know, it's not about any single thing anymore, it's about you putting a misunderstanding together with an exaggeration with a misinterpretation with a disproportaionate reaction until you've lost all the rest of us.

DSW

Novice

I know, it's not about any single thing anymore, it's about you putting a misunderstanding together with an exaggeration with a misinterpretation with a disproportaionate reaction until you've lost all the rest of us.
Just make a poll about initial launch and nonsense of mutiny-proof of several centuries journey of thousands of people, kind of should generation colony ship be first of all designed as a colony, a permanent settlement where thousands of people going live for centuries or as not a colony, but a transport for bunch of people on the move. I bet you are afraid to face results.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
900 victims. 550 out of them - sexual assault (rape).

Today amount of people arrested - 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom