Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Could Obsidian and Bethesda form a lasting partnership?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I'm saying what if New Vegas just wasn't a one-time deal. If it can happen once, I don't see why it couldn't happen again. Unless Bethesda specifically only wanted it for one occasion. Or if they decide that they didn't make enough to justify the effort. But so far New Vegas seems to be doing very well financially, so that probably won't be an issue. I'm a little surprised on that, to be honest.

Unless I'm missing something, continually outsourcing Fallout games to Obsidian seems like good business. Bethesda makes the core game, and then Obsidian makes another 2-3 years later based off the same engine. This allows Bethesda to make more money, and also to keep interest in the franchise high by having regular entries come out while Bethesda takes its time on the next installment. Sounds like a win-win to me. What do you guys think?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It'd probably be the only way Obsidian doesn't die a sorry death after completing its magnum opus, Dungeon Siege 3.

Beth should leave everything Fallout related to Obsidian and focus on their TES stuff as far as I'm concerned.

madbringer

Arcane
NV is gonna be striked out as a spin-off, Fallout 4 will feature Brotherhood of Steel paladins jousting on Mr. Handy mounts and nondescript Enclave bad guy wanting to steal professor Oak's gardening tools which can grow healthy carrots also intestine armor for raiders, the license will never get outsourced again, Obsidian will turn to stylish indie platformers.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Beth bought id. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they turned into a "engine" dev house - though i don't see many devs clamoring for rpg engines, since not many make rpgs. Also, it's like selling to your direct competitor with a pie so small.

Felix

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
Beth should leave everything Fallout related to Obsidian and focus on their TES stuff as far as I'm concerned.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Beth owns the Fallout rights so no way could Obsidian ever afford to buy them for themselves. This leaves the future direction of Fallout at their mercy. Hopefully they DO just concentrate on TES and leave Obsidian to do Fallout stuff.

The true test will be to see just how well NV does. FO3 fags are pretty divided, many howling at not being able to do every quest on the one play and inability to max out character in everything, and the difficulty and the lack of bobbleheads. Others though on the NV site, even those that never played FO1 and 2 and enjoyed FO3, actually are posting at how much better NV is, how the setting is better, more real, the combat is tougher and how you have to focus character development in certain areas.

I think NV is far more important than people realize: It's an attempt by Obsidian to pull mainstream, dumbed down faggotry of most current RPG's back into proper RPG territory. They could have just made a game for FO3 fans with exactly the same level of retardation but they chose not to. The extent to which it pulls in the current generation of popamole gamers into it will decide the future of mainstream RPG's. The FO3 fuckwits that whine about NV will always be catered for anyway, the real success will be to lure enough of those gamers who accept current RPG's and who never played any of the old stuff, to enjoy and begin to prefer a truer RPG experience. If NV can do that it would create a whole new demanding player base that mainstream developers won't be able to ignore.

Ancient

Erudite
Bethesda will probably make FO4 themselves after they make TES V on a new engine , so i think Obsidian will be making their own games for a while

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Dicksmoker said:
Bethesda makes the core game

What about id making the technology, Bethesda drawing that together into a set of usable mod tools, and then Obsidian to finish it off with some marginally above par content?

Everyone's an almost winner!

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
UK charts.

25/Oct/2010

Bethesda’s ‘Fallout: New Vegas’ is the new No1, comfortably beating Bethesda’s previous record holder ‘Fallout 3’ which debuted at No1 in week 44, 2008 (up 29% units over the previous title).

Raapys

Arcane
Bluebottle said:
Dicksmoker said:
Bethesda makes the core game

What about id making the technology, Bethesda drawing that together into a set of usable mod tools, and then Obsidian to finish it off with some marginally above par content?

Everyone's an almost winner!
And then ship it off to Blizzard for polish and quality assurance.

Might actually work out.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
madbringer said:
NV is gonna be striked out as a spin-off, Fallout 4 will feature Brotherhood of Steel paladins jousting on Mr. Handy mounts and nondescript Enclave bad guy wanting to steal professor Oak's gardening tools which can grow healthy carrots also intestine armor for raiders, the license will never get outsourced again, Obsidian will turn to stylish indie platformers.
mounted combat ? don't be silly

Ancient said:
Bethesda will probably make FO4 themselves after they make TES V on a new engine , so i think Obsidian will be making their own games for a while

I expect this. Bethesda probably had Obsidian make FNV while they were making their next TES or FO on a new engine that hopefully isn't so shitty.

Exmit

Scholar
Bethesda ? :rage: :rage: :rage:

Bring Brian Fargo and Mark Morgan to Obsidian and let them do Fallout 4

.Sigurd

Educated
Ancient said:
Bethesda is not making TES V, this is a job of ZeniMax Online Studios.

FeelTheRads said:
I'd be really surprised if they'd bother changing the engine.

They have ID under their heel now, of course they're going to take advantage of the clearly superior engines that ID used to own.

No more motherfucking Gambryo... but the shitty writing and design elements remain.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Listen...all that's happening here is all the FO3tards are buying what they think is the next F03game. That's why sales are high...but after playing it and not having the stupid "epic" lulzy fucking bullshit tht FO3 was packed with...the next time they'd see/hear Obsidian's name attached to a Fallout project they'd probably steer clear. Unfortunate, but such is the state of gaming and mentality of your average gamer.

People can't even see past the bugs right now.

Ancient

Erudite
.Sigurd said:
Ancient said:
Bethesda is not making TES V, this is a job of ZeniMax Online Studios.

they are making TES V , TES mmo is separate project

madbringer

Arcane
Fens said:
madbringer said:
mounted combat ? don't be silly

Pah. You'll see the glory of it when in the official demo you're going to be part of a charge on the Fortress of Fail. Ten thousand men, gripping their laser warmaces, plasma dwemer battleaxes, advancing towards the enemy positions on robots clad in armor you will get in a soon to follow DLC. Lord Dagon Richardson won't stand a chance. But there is greater evil looming, ready to be unleashed upon the land. For every dark incursion pushed back, yet another, stronger one, will come. You will need your wits about and the best generic armament (and tons of scrap to repair it for it shall break into pieces after each strike) available to battle the hordes of Prosperous Mutants. Yes indeed, my friend. But not to worry, for at the beginning of the game, you will be one of the select few to undergo the Rad Ritual, an experimental procedure that will unlock new and exciting powers available to your character, like the dreaded Power Word: Going Bald, the awe-inspiring Glyph of Forced Food Expulsion and, of course, Storm of Sterile Semen. :salute:

Joghurt

Augur
Or Fallout 4: New Hub

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom