Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crowfall

It's a guild game, and he plays it like any other single player mmo never joined dregs which is main PVP campaing. Crowfall has a lot of problems, but the base game is really good and has a lot of potential. You just need to find active guild for game to open up.

Review which is way better than the one from peon:
https://www.pcgamer.com/crowfall-review/
This is a symptom of a greater problem. We now have two generations of people who only remember WoW and it's derivatives. They don't even know there is such a thing as different MMOs. MMOs are all the WoW style games and so that's what they expect from every MMO. And also why these people scream the loudest whenever anything resembling Sandbox gameplay and PvP pop up. It stops them from playing their Diablo Clones with a bit of multiplayer thrown on.

I haven't tried Crowfall but I'd love to give it a go. Seems to be my sort of thing. I'm not a fan of the 3D calarts artstyle though.

Forseti

Novice
Necro-ing for depressing updates
  • Population cratered to pre-beta levels a few months post-launch. Most serious guilds quit
  • Devs scramble to implement useless crap the misguided player base screams for (need/greed looting??? lol? not that kind of MMO, people...). To their credit, devs do listen. They're just stretched thin as a small company with a half-finished game
  • Major personnel are laid off
  • Game sold to new developer
  • Creative director and founder moves on to another project
I couldn't stay with it. The faux action combat was a dealbreaker. It pretended to have movement and projectiles and fast-paced swordplay, but under the hood, it was effectively doing WoW-tier hit registration. Target was in range when the button was pressed? register the damage. All abilities were basically hitscan. No implementation of matching skill animations, hitbox vs hurtbox, iframes, etc. I don't think the Unity engine could hack it.

Kind of a shame. It was (still is?) a very unique style of MMO in the current year. I hope the new company turns it into something great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't crowdfund MMOs. Don't crowdfund MMOs. Don't crowdfund MMOs.

https://crowfall.com/en-US/news/articles/Crowfall-Update

Crowfall is going offline on November 22, 2022.​

Hello Crows!
Over the past few months, we’ve been evaluating the current state of Crowfall. One of the biggest challenges has been the sheer amount of development effort required to build new campaigns and keep the game running daily. In order to refocus our efforts from live operations to development, we have decided to take the Crowfall live service offline for the time being.
On November 22, 2022, at 11 AM CST Crowfall will go dark, and the game servers will be unavailable. Until the service goes offline, take this time to try out all of the cool buildings, mounts, and emotes for free in the Crowfall store.
We're going to use this time to map out the future of the game. We have yet to determine what that looks like, but we are investing in and rethinking every part of the game - from the core technology and tools to art, design, and gameplay. Nothing is off the table.
We'll share the plan with the community as it shapes up.
Starting today, the following will go into effect:
Customer Service
  • Customer service will be limited to account recovery assistance until the server goes dark, Rules of Conduct, and Terms and Conditions violations
  • Customer service will also be available for Zone and EK restarts
  • Customer service will only be available from Monday to Friday during business hours ( 9 am CST to 5 PM CST
  • Refunds will be automatically given for any purchases made 90 days before today
VIP
  • All players with accounts in good standing will receive a new “free VIP.” Much like our typical VIP, this new VIP removes the Crowns and monthly rewards but provides you with all the typical VIP goodies.
Other
Other services that we once offered will be unavailable starting today. Some of these are listed below:
  • Buddy Recruits
  • Refer a friend
We want to thank Crowfall players for their support, feedback, and patience since Monumental purchased the game.
The Crowfall Team
Back to News

ADL

Prophet
RIP doesn't help that even after spending a hundred hours in Crowfall I couldn't really summarize what it is accurately other than a good time.

So I finally did manage to get a free trial for Crowfall. I played it, I enjoyed it. But it was a very messy game. Like a polished Eurojank. I loved the ideas of Crowfall I just wish it was executed properly. And that more people played it.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I wanted to like it but it was just shit to me. Not the kind of mmo I'm looking for. I want a fully simulated world in the same vein as EverQuest. Full loot pvp would be nice too but I can live without it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Don't crowdfund MMOs. Don't crowdfund MMOs. Don't crowdfund MMOs.
I don't think they're doing any worse than video games overall wrt crowdfunding.
Elite Dangerous faceplanted recently but it was doing good for a while.
Project Gorgon was crowdfunded, and technically still in development -- but when do MMOs ever stop being "in development" until shut down? Small but active community, it has no subscription fee but offers an optional VIP program with small benefits, recently announcing they hit 1000 VIP subscribers.
Dual Universe released and uh... I guess people play it? At least two Turtles play it and discuss it, anyways.

Sure, that's a pretty small pool of games that weren't flat out failures or scams but there's also far fewer crowdfunded MMOs overall. Crowdfunded video games probably have a what, <15% chance of even releasing?
It's no surprise that tabletop RPGs and boardgames do so much better in crowdfunding compared to videogames after so many failures, people interested in crowdfunding videogames are tired of getting burned.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think they gotta learn how to scale things down. Everyone wants to make some huge virtual world bigger and more advanced than WoW and become a billionaire. Even little indie MMOs always end up getting carried away and too big for their boots. They always end up thinking they can add crafting, pvp, guilds, pve, raids, solo content, group content, lots of quests and lore and everything! But they can't, they need to admit they have the budget to do an OK job at one of those things. And only with some crazily rare talent in their team could they actually do a great job of one thing.

I think that's the harsh reality about gaming... It's just too hard to make games, the industry proves it over and over. And they can't solve the problem with money either, I loved Rift (the MMO) but that game got $70 million and still failed... And I still ran out of things to do in the first month...

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I don't think pvp needs to be an extra feature that costs more. In fact, pvp in the way most games do it is shit. I don't want to go play some kind of separate game mode for pvp. I came to play an MMO, not to play an arena shooter or ctf inside of an mmo. It seems to me like if you want a good pvp game that doesn't skimp on the pve, all you have to do is balance the classes around pvp and then balance the pve around whatever you ended up with. I have no idea why this has never been done.

Codex Year of the Donut
it's not fun getting your class nerfed because it's too good in a part of the game you don't even play + pvp and pve simply aren't similar. Look at most PvP centric MMOs and the RPG systems tend to be much more simplistic. I presume because the people who care about pvp tend to not care very much about the RPG part, but more about the MMO part.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
it's not fun getting your class nerfed because it's too good in a part of the game you don't even play + pvp and pve simply aren't similar.

I agree with this, but I don't think it's something that has to be a problem if your game has both. It shouldn't be impossible to make good pve for classes that were balanced for pvp. The main thing that comes to mind is how CC worked completely differently in DaoC in pvp vs pve. Just make the pve not require CC. Done.

Look at most PvP centric MMOs and the RPG systems tend to be much more simplistic. I presume because the people who care about pvp tend to not care very much about the RPG part, but more about the MMO part.

I think this is more because pvp games are low budget games made by lazy devs who expect the players to be the content. This bothers me to no end and is the #1 reason pvp games are generally shit.

Cromwell

Arcane
Just make the pve not require CC

you just dumbed down pve so that pvp can be balanced.
So every game that doesn't have some kind of CC is dumbed down compared to everything else? That's a shit take.

no but yours has it, you just dont use it in pve. which means every encounter has to be build with only buffs, debuffs and direct damage abillities in mind since every other ability is a no go. No slows, no roots etc. So you want to tell me that is not dumbed down compared to the part of your game where these abillities are important to win a fight?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Just make the pve not require CC

you just dumbed down pve so that pvp can be balanced.
So every game that doesn't have some kind of CC is dumbed down compared to everything else? That's a shit take.

no but yours has it, you just dont use it in pve. which means every encounter has to be build with only buffs, debuffs and direct damage abillities in mind since every other ability is a no go. No slows, no roots etc. So you want to tell me that is not dumbed down compared to the part of your game where these abillities are important to win a fight?
Pve and pvp would have the same abilities in my idea of a perfect mmo. I guess I should say that when I say CC I really mean mez and maybe root. I don't see a problem with lul and maybe snare. Blind might be a good option too. The only issue with CC in pvp is that players don't like losing control of their character. It's possible to find options that work for both with a little thinking.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Feels bad tbh. I'm actually a cuck that donated 70 bucks to this shit show :(

Yes. it's a problem. I'm also the retard that backed Camelot Unchained.

Though I'm, bitter and have learned lessons of not being retarded.

Myobi

Liturgist
Feels bad tbh. I'm actually a cuck that donated 70 bucks to this shit show :(

Yes. it's a problem. I'm also the retard that backed Camelot Unchained.

Though I'm, bitter and have learned lessons of not being retarded.
Hey bro, do you have a momento to talk about our lord and savior Chris Roberts?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom