Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPG efforts on iPad

puzzel76

Novice
Hello all,

over the last months i was getting more and more desperate because in the rush of converting old classic games to the new mobile platforms, the CRPG genre was nearly completely overlooked.
So i had to start my own nostalgic quest uhm game...

You may check out the first tries in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYko_HCLTo4

By now graphics have improved (walls now have a certain thickness, not only 1 pixel; animations are in e.g. a camp fire etc.; monsters now may join your party; etc.) and it's about time to create the story.

If you would be in the mood of playing such a Bard's Tale clone again these days... what would you expect from the game (mechanics, story)?

Thanks for watching :roll:
Puzzel

Mortmal

Arcane
That looks like a decent bard's tale clone, however , the codex is first and foremost a shelter from modernity, so its very unlikely any people own an Ipad here. Well its also very unlikely any of those poor sods pay for their games too...
You should post it in genral rpg forum , no one is reading workshop forum. If you want real advertisement post in general forum thats what everyone is reading.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Looks like a pretty mature project with plenty of mechanics already there! Congrats and best of luck! Even though I most likely won't ever be able to play it since I'm not planning to buy any Apple device.

Will it have automap?

puzzel76

Novice
Elwro said:
Looks like a pretty mature project with plenty of mechanics already there! Congrats and best of luck! Even though I most likely won't ever be able to play it since I'm not planning to buy any Apple device.

Will it have automap?

That automap thingy is really keeping me busy. I am torn. I have not finally decided... ;-)
I hate automapping as it is in most games nowadays. I loved drawing the map with pencil on paper.
But the Wizardry VII approach is also a good one. Better automapping with improved Mapmaking Skill.
We'll see. At last it is for a mobile device, and drawing maps while taking the bus is not acceptable.
But there is also this thing in our heads... what was it called? Brain! Brain can be a good automapper too, some say :)
So you see: Not decided yet.

If my sale goal will be achieved, a version for other machines (even PC) is most likely.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I also liked drawing maps and I still have my maps for EoB1. But I don't think I'd like to do new maps now :) I liked that Sword and Sorcery: Underworld had an automapping feature; the Eschalon series ties the map quality to a skill and it works quite well.

DraQ

Arcane
I'd probably go with automapping - apart from not being able to draw maps on paper in a typical handheld playing scenario, playing on a handheld will generally be interrupted much more often and allow for less concentration so stuff like automap and good journal is all the more important.

Still, I don't expect your game to be very popular around these parts, regardless of quality - many of us do live under rocks and don't own or care to own iPads.

Shemar

Educated
Elwro said:
I also liked drawing maps and I still have my maps for EoB1. But I don't think I'd like to do new maps now.

This. I used to have a lot of time to kill. Now time is precious.

As for the platform. I too would never buy an apple product, but I am a proud owner of a Motorola Xoom. It is an excellent utility device. However I don't see me ever trying to play a game of any deapth on it. Any situation that would require the use of a mobile device instead of a desktop gaming computer, is by default not conductive to playing deep/interesting/immersive games.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
If you don't mind my two cents, be wary of your graphic coherence issue. For some reason a lot of people seem to find that important :roll:

Other than that enjoy building your world / story, probably the best part, and welcome to the club :salute:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The best automap I've ever seen is the one used in Ultima Underworld. Being able to leave notes on the map was really nice.

Charles-cgr said:
If you don't mind my two cents, be wary of your graphic coherence issue. For some reason a lot of people seem to find that important :roll:

Other than that enjoy building your world / story, probably the best part, and welcome to the club :salute:
Still butthurt? ;)

zeitgeist

Magister
DraQ said:
I'd probably go with automapping - apart from not being able to draw maps on paper in a typical handheld playing scenario, playing on a handheld will generally be interrupted much more often and allow for less concentration so stuff like automap and good journal is all the more important.

Still, I don't expect your game to be very popular around these parts, regardless of quality - many of us do live under rocks and don't own or care to own iPads.
I live so deep under the proverbial rock that I don't even know if a stylus is commonly used with the iPad or not. If it is, Etrian Odyssey-style mapping might be neat, if not, automapping + of course the ability to write notes and drag various icons for common dungeon elements (such as "secret door" or "unsolved puzzle") that shouldn't be automatically revealed on the automap but placed by the player would be better. Might be nice if some skills like tracking, cartography, surveying, trap-finding etc. were tied into the automap system too.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Excidium said:
The best automap I've ever seen is the one used in Ultima Underworld. Being able to leave notes on the map was really nice.

Charles-cgr said:

Still butthurt? ;)

I have sensitive skin :)

Mortmal

Arcane
well charles , according what i see in those videos , you have a serious contender for art style , the goblins are priceless, most of the stuff is prettier although.

tindrli

Arcane
is there an ifag emulator???

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom